Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Personal Injury Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Does Colorado require insurance companies to pay sales tax in vehicle settlement?

If my vehicle was valued at $8000, does CO require they pay the additional $568 (7.01%) to cover taxes of replacement purchase?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Jul 20, 2020

This is really something that only a Colorado attorney could advise on. But your question remains open for a month. Here on Justia are some resources on Colorado law for property damage claims practices that anyone could find on the Internet -... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: If my injury is small, such as a first degree burn, do I still have to report it?

It's a minor burn and didn't even blister. I'm not sure it qualifies as an "injury".

Justin McMinn
Justin McMinn answered on Jul 15, 2020

Personal injury cases typically involve injuries that require medical treatment provided by a licensed professional.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: Can a 17 year old press charges on a 20 year old without parental consent or do the parents need to approve?

So my sister is 17 and we’ve been fighting a lot. I’m 20 and she tells me if I get into a physical altercation with her she’ll press charges. We live in the same house but the address on my ID is different. Can I get into trouble for physically fighting with her? I also have a daughter so if... Read more »

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko answered on Jul 8, 2020

Anyone can report a crime to the police.

Q: If I was hurt at work by another employee do I still qualify for no fault work coverage for my medical bills?
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 18, 2020

It could depend on the circumstances. If you consulted with a workers' comp attorney, they would be in the best position to evaluate your situation. There are certain types of injuries not covered, and a WC attorney would have better insight into this than personal injury attorneys. It's... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: In Colorado if your boss physically attacks you while you are at work can you sue the company?
Nelson Patrick Boyle
Nelson Patrick Boyle answered on May 11, 2020

It depends. Before I answer that, there are some things you should do.

If you are physically attacked: First, get to a safe place. Second, call the police don't resort to "self-help" by escalating the situation or retaliating. Third, if your "boss" is not your HR...
Read more »

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Animal / Dog Law for Colorado on
Q: If the smell of a llama causes a unusually allergic reaction to an adjacent neighbor can their be a remedy to alleviate

If someone has numerous llamas that stink a smell what can a neighbor do?

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Apr 21, 2020

The neighbor can file what’s called a nuisance lawsuit against the neighbor with the llamas. It is a civil lawsuit that would have to be filed in District Court where the llama property is located.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Is blasting an air horn outside of an elderly handicapped persons dwelling on a daily basis considered assault?
Courtney Edwards
Courtney Edwards answered on Apr 14, 2020

Potentially. Criminal assault occurs when a person knowingly or recklessly causes bodily injury to another person. Bodily injury is defined as physical pain, illness, or any impairment of physical or mental condition. More likely though, this is a noise violation - either Disorderly Conduct... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Products Liability for Colorado on
Q: My father was injured. An automatic door in a hospital bathroom threw him and caused a bunch of bruising. What can he d

This happened on March 23, 2020. He hasnt been able to walk right since. He went to the ER where he was treated for his pain. He is waiting to get an appointment with a neurologist.

James Avery
James Avery answered on Apr 10, 2020

Of course the matter should have been reported and recorded in the medical record. Get a copy and expect a call from Risk Management. Beware of quick settlements if there is possible long term disability and even future surgery. Settlements are final. You have 6 months to file a formal claim if a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: I was published in the local newspaper blotters briefs for motor vehicle theft however that was not my charge

It was brought to my attention by a co worker

James Avery
James Avery answered on Apr 5, 2020

You can contact the news organization and ask for a correction. If you lose your job or some significant injury, then talk to a defamation lawyer.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: my son was hit in the face by another with ice that cut deep and will scar him, the other student has a history of viole

similar incidences precede this one with violent behavior from this student. She was also pushing my son to the ground and he was telling her not to throw ice, as he was getting up she wound her hand back to throw some more and sliced him in the face by his mouth. considering the other students... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 21, 2020

You might have a situation where the school did not provide adequate supervision. You could contact a Colorado attorney to discuss the matter in further detail and look into the school's practices for supervising groups of children during recesses and other recreational periods. I hope your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Can I get emancipated in my situation? what are the steps I have to take? And how long will it take?

I’m 15 years old I haven’t been going to school for a year now and I also haven’t been living with parents for a year.i have chosen to leave my home because of some Physical abuse and negligence I am currently not going to school because my parents didn’t want to enroll because of family... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Mar 11, 2020

I'm sorry for the difficult position you are in. But this probably isn't something that lawyers in the Personal Injury section would be experienced in. You might have better chances of getting meaningful input if you reposted your question under Family Law, Juvenile Law, Education Law,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: I was assaulted by 2 individuals in a retail store in Greeley CO. What are my rights?

I would rather talk to a lawyer about the details.

Brian Michael Bradford
Brian Michael Bradford answered on Feb 12, 2020

I am sorry to hear about what happened to you. First, we always suggest contacting the police so that criminal charges can be pursued. From a civil liability standpoint, a lawyer would need to know more facts about how the assault happened to make any determination about a civil claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: My son is enrolled in an automotive class at a technical college. The instructor makes inappropriate comments.

He is vulgar and unprofessional. Do I have grounds for sexual harassment charges?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 8, 2020

There is a section on this Question & Answer Board for Sexual Harassment. You could contact one of the Colorado lawyers who practice in that area (see the Find a Lawyer tab above to the left), or you could contact a lawyer you find through your own independent search to discuss the matter. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Hi i was in a car accident in Feb. 2018, n I am getting mail that I have to pay $40,000 worth of damages, do I negociate

I was really badly hurt, but officer gave me ticket I slid in ice and went to court, but was not in right state of mind when going to courts

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 20, 2020

It sounds like you were sued and served with papers? You really need to get your insurance involved. If you received suit papers and you don't have insurance you need to make sure you don't get a default by filing an Answer and entering your appearance "pro se." Check with the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: Are there any federal tort lawyers in Colorado and do you know of a directory?

We have an issue involving a federal agency located in Colorado.

Evan S. Sloan
Evan S. Sloan answered on Jan 2, 2020

I would contact your state and local bar associations. They should be able to point you in the right direction.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law, Insurance Defense and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on
Q: If someone else's cat bit me, after it had entered my house and I tried to remove it, can i be liable or sued?

I woke up and I hear meowing coming from somewhere, and I thought it was my cat. It was actually another person's cat that was outside my front door. I didn't know this because it had no collar and I hadn't seen it before. Over the next couple of hours the cat stayed out there. I had... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten answered on Dec 13, 2019

Most likely the adjuster is calling you to pay for your injuries so you don't sue the owner. But, I do not know. I would recommend taking the call to find out what the adjuster wants.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Colorado on
Q: How to find third contigency fee attorney after being fired from previous attorney? Urgently
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Nov 25, 2019

You could search for one on this site (under Find-a-Lawyer above), conduct your own independent searches, or contact the Colorado Bar Association. In terms of your urgency, the more information you are able to readily provide about the disposition of the case when you call prospective attorneys,... Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: I am reading CO Rev Statute 10-4-609 (UM/UIM) as my Insurance Co cannot "offset" what the at vault party's Insurance Co.

has paid in settlement. Am I correct? ie, At fault drivers insurance policy paid full amount of coverage $100,000.00. My future medical cost will be greater than that.

Thank you both for quick responses. So here is my scenario.

At fault party's insurance has paid policy max... Read more »

Benjamin T. Norton
Benjamin T. Norton answered on Sep 3, 2019

I understand why you might think that but unfortunately that is not the case. 1(c) states that UM/UIM "shall cover the difference, if any, between the amount of the limits of any legal liability coverage and the amount of the damages sustained." The statute recognizes that one may be... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Medical Malpractice for Colorado on
Q: E.D. nurse after my son died said to me, "cry me a river about your son." This has increased my grief.

Also gave me a shot in bicep instead of deltoid pain in right arm since.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 28, 2019

I'm very sorry for your loss, and the cruel and heartless things said to you. Contact a Colorado attorney to try to arrange a free initial consult. With further detail and context, an experienced attorney might at least be able to determine if the matter warrants further investigation/review... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury for Colorado on
Q: What type of attorney do I need to press charges to a company with employees that did aggravated assault upon me? Thanks

I was riding my motorcycle. I approached road construction stop sign and behind 25 cars plus backup. I used the breakdown lane cautiously to advance to the front of the line of cars.I was running late for volunteer work for Meals on Wheels. I was attempted to be stopped by a opening truck door... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 24, 2019

Contact a member of the Colorado Assn for Justice in the county where it happened. They give free consults.

You have an assault & battery case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.