Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Communications Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Colorado Communications Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Internet Law for Colorado on
Q: Can a giveaway have a free entry to all but extra entries given to those who pay for additional entries?

I stream on Twitch which is a platform where people can sub and donate to a streamer. I would like to run a giveaway for Christmas. To incentivize subscriptions, I wanted to give extra entries to those who subscribe to my channel. I know giveaways have to have a free method of entry. If I allowed... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 19, 2023

In Colorado, as in many states, the rules governing giveaways (often classified as "sweepstakes") can be complex, particularly when involving both free and paid entries. The key legal consideration is ensuring that your giveaway does not become classified as a lottery, which typically... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Communications Law for Colorado on
Q: Can more than one therapist be listed on the mandatory disclosure statement? I.e., all the therapists at one practice?
Kevin Michael Strait
Kevin Michael Strait
answered on Jan 26, 2022

A mental health practice in Colorado must comply with Colo. Rev. Stat. § 12-245-216 (some older forms will have the old code section as § 12-43-214, but that is no longer the current law). The code section requires a mental health care provider to give each patient a form detailing the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Colorado on
Q: Do I need to be on call to testify in court if I never received a subpoena in Colorado?

I was involved in an armed gas station robbery in 2019. DA called me Feb. of this year and admitted they were sending everything to the wrong person with my same name despite having my police report and information. They said the lead investigator would call me in March. Never did. I finally called... View More

Brian K. McHugh
Brian K. McHugh
answered on Apr 13, 2021

If you have not been personally served with a subpoena you have no legal obligation to appear. However, I assume you are important witness since, as you say, you were "involved in an armed gas station robbery." Unless you were a participant, you might want to give some thought to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: Are police required to take a missing persons report if an adult w/ history of mental illness disappears "voluntarily"?

My uncle disappeared. He did leave a message on Facebook saying he was going "off the grid", but that message has also disappeared. Police in Centennial, CO (where he lived) and Denver refuse to report him as a missing person because they say he is an adult who left voluntarily. But the... View More

Sean Maye
Sean Maye
answered on Nov 25, 2020

First off, I am sorry that you and your family are suffering through this.

As for the law concerning missing persons, you may consult CO Statute 16-2.7-102, which states that "any person with relevant, credible information suggesting that a person is missing MAY make a missing person...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Communications Law for Colorado on
Q: How long does a mediated agreement stay in place after divorce is final? This is about ways of communication

During mediation we agreed to only communicate through a 3rd party website such as OUr children are grown adults. How long do either of us have to abide by that agreement now that the divorce is final?

John Hyland Barrett III
John Hyland Barrett III
answered on Jan 17, 2018

It depends on whether that agreement was made part of the final divorce decree. Usually it is. If so, you will have to abide by it unless the court modifies that part of the order.However, if that order was part of the parenting plan, you may not have to abide by it since the children are now legal... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Communications Law and Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: Am i forced to give information to police department when i call them to ask why there's been a report put on me ?

My Ex boyfriend called police to see his son, wich he has not seen since january . He now wants to see him. My child is under the care of my grandparent for this time, we have no court custody order. I am out of state at the moment working.

Stephen J. Plog
Stephen J. Plog pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 31, 2017

You do not have to give the police information within this context. Conversely, they don't have to give you information either.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law, Internet Law and Consumer Law for Colorado on
Q: we are having issues with Century link communications, they are gouging us, we get our rates to a reasonable level and

and the next month the new bill is even higher, we have confermation numbers but the rates is always go higher the next month. To talk to them takes all day and just when you get someone who is working to help you, the call drops. they say the will get this fixed and they never do.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Apr 24, 2017

Have you considered switching carriers?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Communications Law for Colorado on
Q: What should I do if I'm in an active case and a GAL, Caseworker, and judge has lied in court and town is corrupt?

And has harras and threaten to persons involed in case.

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Mar 5, 2017

You should have a lawyer who helps to handle these matters. If you do not like your appointed lawyer, considered hiring a private attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Communications Law, Identity Theft and Sexual Harassment for Colorado on
Q: is it illegal to hack someone's facebook and email and change their passwords?

My boyfriend was on a phone plan with his friend, and she and him got in a fight, so he gave her the phone back, in attempt to cut ties with her, and he forgot to log out of his facebook app and email app on the phone. she has now gone on the phone and changed both of those passwords so that he has... View More

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jan 11, 2017

Simply changing passwords is likely not illegal. If information contained is used to impersonate and individual, this may be illegal. Note, changing the passwords or generally "hacking" of accounts by an unauthorized third-party is a clear violation of both Facebook and every email... View More

Q: I been calling emailing and trying send my grandma's conservator and guardian messages i need will made but no reply

What do I do it has a attorney name in there but even she won't call me back my grandma needs her will made it says in this booklet my grandpa put " If my wife ain't able to serve will and make decisions I appoint ......and has neighbor name but social services won't listen... View More

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jun 23, 2016

You will need to contact an attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.