Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Colorado Insurance Defense Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Car Accidents and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: I got insurance last month. totaled car. insurance pmt late. They're cancelling me in the middle of my claim. Can they?

My payment is late. I will be able to pay on my payday (in 5 days). They said it will be cancelled on Jan 4.. Can they cancel me before finishing my claim?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 11, 2022

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. As a general matter nationwide, the issue is generally whether the policy was in effect at the time of the accident, barring any special conditions stipulated by the carrier. Carriers can extend grace periods to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: I need medical insurance advice

Hurt my back working out at the gym. I have insurance through my job. I got some testing done which includes imaging. I got a preauthorization and met my deductible, payed all bills. Two years later.. I get medical bills that hit my credit, then bills equating to $13,000 which my far surpasses my... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jun 4, 2021

A Colorado attorney should advise, since the matter could involve state-specific laws, but your post remains open for five weeks. If you reached out to attorneys to discuss, they may want to review the file in its entirety, including authorizations, bills, denials, etc. and trying to identify where... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith, Insurance Defense and Health Care Law for Colorado on
Q: How do I find a pro bono or sliding scale attorney to deal with long term disability claim against lg insurance company?

I have had an illness for months but specialist is still seeking diagnosis. Short term disability has been exhausted. Long term disability company is asking me to sign medical release for entire medical record and waive HIPAA in addition to other seemingly inappropriate questions that have nothing... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 3, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks and you mention needing help quickly. One option is to start reaching out to attorneys who handle disability claims. Many attorneys in that area provide free initial consults - that's between you and the attorneys... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Libel & Slander for Colorado on
Q: Person moved but still continue s to use old address as proof of address
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 15, 2020

A Colorado attorney could advise best, but your post remains open for a month. If it was done close to the time of moving, it could have been an oversight. At any rate, correcting it could help avoid future headaches. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

1 Answer | Asked in Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: I need find a lawyer to discuss a contract signed with a roofing contractor related to a home insurance claim.
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
answered on Mar 26, 2020

Call me 303-688-0944 or schedule online at

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Animal / Dog Law, Insurance Defense and Landlord - Tenant for Colorado on
Q: If someone else's cat bit me, after it had entered my house and I tried to remove it, can i be liable or sued?

I woke up and I hear meowing coming from somewhere, and I thought it was my cat. It was actually another person's cat that was outside my front door. I didn't know this because it had no collar and I hadn't seen it before. Over the next couple of hours the cat stayed out there. I had... Read more »

Kristina M. Bergsten
Kristina M. Bergsten
answered on Dec 13, 2019

Most likely the adjuster is calling you to pay for your injuries so you don't sue the owner. But, I do not know. I would recommend taking the call to find out what the adjuster wants.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Insurance Bad Faith and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: Recourse for roof damage repair/replacement on a "duplex", where the other owner apparently has no damage?

My dad lives in Longmont. "Duplex" is probably not the correct term: it is a single building that contains two residences, each owned by a separate person. The area has an HOA. There was a hail storm a few months ago. A roofer and my dad's insurance (State Farm) adjuster... Read more »

John Kenneth Joyner
John Kenneth Joyner
answered on Nov 2, 2018

You may be better off just having your dad's neighbor go straight to an attorney who specializes in first-party property insurance bad faith claims. That lawyer can get a better idea of the facts of the case and point them in the right direction. Often bad faith insurance litigation firms... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: Is it illegal to unknowingly send an advertisement for homeowners insurance to a minor in Colorado?

I own an insurance agency and purchase lists that are supposed to be names, addresses and potential homeowners renewal dates. The vendor I use pulls information from public records like real estate transactions and the census. Occasionally, in a month with a list of 4000 potential homeowners... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn
answered on Jan 15, 2018

No, that woman's an idiot.

Even if it were illegal it would be prosecuted by the county attorney for a criminal act, or more likely the Dept. of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) for a regulatory violation. She has no private right of action to sue you for mistaken advertisement....
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Health Care Law and Insurance Defense for Colorado on
Q: My insurance company declined to pay my hospital bill on the grounds that I should have been treated as an outpatient.I

I had a skin infection on my hand from a cat bite.

I asked to be treated as an outpatient but the doctor refused saying I had to be admitted.

I haven't got the bill yet but I expect to get one soon.

The insurance company says the hospital handled this the wrong way.

What am I suppose to do?

Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
answered on Jan 18, 2017

You have three options. One, you can appeal the insurance company's determination. Two, you can see if the insurance company's determination voids some or all of the medical charges because of the violation of the agreement between the doctor/hospital (I have seen over $200,000 worth of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.