Kansas Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: I own a small share of KS office building. I retired & what my share of the value. What can I do with no agreement?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for Kansas on
Answered on Sep 20, 2017
Scott C. Stockwell's answer
If you directly own an interest in the building (your name is on the deed), there is a process called partition in which you file a lawsuit asking the judge to “partition” the property. If it is not possible to “partition” the property into seaprate, discrete parts, as would likely be the case with an office building, then the judge can order an appraisal of the property and the property is offered to the parties for the value determined. If no one wanted to purchase the building for...

Q: I am starting an online business through Digital Altitude. They have asked me to take out a line of credit. HELP!

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Kansas on
Answered on Jun 27, 2017
Scott C. Stockwell's answer
You should proceed with caution and take no action without the advice of counsel. Your understood one set of circumstances to justify your initial involvement or investment. Now you are being asked to borrow money to "purchase" the next level. You have characterized the arrangement as a "pyramid" arrangement. You should be testing your involvement in such an arrangement by consulting with an attorney who could help you evaluate it. Some questions that might be appropriate might include: Why is...

Q: Can use a picture of my work thru one company and use it for my own company website.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Kansas on
Answered on Apr 27, 2017
Rick Davis' answer
Who took the picture? When was it taken. If you did not take the picture than you can not use it without permission. If you did take the picture, but took it as an employee of the other company, they likely also have the rights to the picture as "employee work product."

You would be best to take another picture to use on your website as then you do not have to worry about any issues.

Q: is a non-compete clause legal?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Employment Law for Kansas on
Answered on Apr 12, 2016
Marshall Jason Ray's answer
You should have a local attorney review the situation. The legality and enforceability of a non-compete agreement depend on various factors. A local attorney will need to review the specific contract about which you are asking and give you an opinion.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.