Election Law Questions & Answers by State

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • District of Columbia
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming

Election Law Questions & Answers

Q: If I've registered to vote and am turned away for lack of proof at my local precinct, what can I do to prove I'm

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Illinois on
Answered on Jul 10, 2017

The local precinct computer is tied to county clerk's computer.

If it shows you are not registered, then you aren't.

Some people think they are registered but aren't because all proper steps were not taken to get registered.
View Details »

Q: Can I stand outside a Target to ask people to sign a petition?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Illinois on
Answered on Jun 23, 2017

If they let you.
View Details »

Q: Can a candidate switch parties during an election?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Florida on
Answered on Jun 17, 2017

Yes, but I'm guessing your question relates to such things as whether the candidate will remain on the ballot.
View Details »

Q: What are the laws about standing outside a polling place holding a sign for your candidate?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Illinois on
Answered on May 26, 2017

Call the County Clerk Elections Division about the number of feet you have to be away from the polling place.
View Details »

Q: can election code 18203 be a wobbler. charged as a felony or misdemeanor

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Criminal Law for California on
Answered on May 9, 2017

See my answer to your identical question. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my law practice website, www.AEesq.com. I practice law in CA, NY, MA, and DC in the following areas of law: Business & Contracts, Criminal Defense, Divorce & Child Custody, and Education Law. This...
View Details »

Q: can election code 18203 be charged as a misdemeanor

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for California on
Answered on May 9, 2017

That might be charged as a misdemeanor or felony of election fraud, depending on the facts and DA discretion. The statute reads,

"18203. Any person who files or submits for filing a nomination

paper or declaration of candidacy knowing that it or any part of it

has been made falsely is punishable by a fine not exceeding one

thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the state prison for

16 months or two or three years or by both the fine and...
View Details »

Q: Are felons allowed to vote in Illinois?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Illinois on
Answered on May 5, 2017

Not while they are in prison.

Otherwise, yes.
View Details »

Q: Is it legal to make a song about killing the president?

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Election Law and Federal Crimes for Wisconsin on
Answered on Apr 24, 2017

The short answer is yes. And you do not need a disclaimer. There are hundreds of songs about killing political figures. There is a different between artistry and threats. And there is a different between speech and true threats. I assume you fall squarely within the artistry and First Amendment categories.
View Details »

Q: Re:CA gov't code sect 3205, are there situations where a candidate can receive a political contribution from an employee

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for California on
Answered on Jan 25, 2017

Generally, I see no problem with this, unless you fall under certain exceptions re: campaign donations. For example, many people who volunteer for candidates running for political office also donate to their candidate's campaign funds. Talk to an administrative law attorney. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.
View Details »

Q: A telecommunications company looking to set up robodialing for a potential gubernatorial candidate in the state of MS.

1 Answer | Asked in Communications Law and Election Law for Mississippi on
Answered on Jan 24, 2017

Political prerecorded calls or autodialed calls to cell phones, other mobile services and restricted lines (like hotels and hospitals) are prohibited unless made with the “prior express consent” of the recipient.
View Details »

Q: Is network news liable to a viewer/investor/voter if they entered into any contracts based on inaccurate media coverage?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Communications Law, Contracts and Election Law for Rhode Island on
Answered on Dec 20, 2016

No. Fraud requires an intention to defraud, knowingly false statements and a duty of care to the other party. Largely the same for securities law purposes. News media are supposed to be accurate but do not have a legal obligation to investors, voters or even viewers.
View Details »

Q: I have a question about the The Election Code of the City of Los Angeles.

1 Answer | Asked in Municipal Law and Election Law for California on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

Not clear what the question is but the League of Women Voters in your city is a great place to start.

Q: what is the number of signatures needed to petition to go for referendum at a local village, regarding a proposed law

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Municipal Law for New York on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

Check with your local village's charter or similar document, contact local league of women voters.

Q: In a Mayor, Council form of government what are the rules for removal of a mayor or alderman from office?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Municipal Law for Arkansas on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

Look at your city charter or similar document for starters.

Q: Is it perjury for an indep. candidate to sign the circulator's oath stating he was the sheet circulator but was not?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Georgia on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

Not perjury per se. It is making a false affidavit which in many states is a different offense. Yes it would invalidate petitions in most states. Note that there is a deadline for filing objections to petitions .

Q: Does Idaho allow write in vote for presidential candidate who ran during the primary election & won delegates?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Idaho on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

I believe on a ballot you can write in any person you want. However that in all liklihood won't get him electors for the Electoral College. Suggest you talk to the Idaho League of Women Voters.

Q: How can a write-in candidate qualify for a general election?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law on
Answered on Aug 23, 2016

Yes. By getting sufficient write in votes to win. Qualifications are usually US citizen unless it is for Congress. How?Basically have people at each polling place in the district(s) that vote ask voters to, by knocking on doors and showing that the person is motivated and organized.
View Details »

Q: Can I post a US election commentary/creative project as a foreign national?

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law and Internet Law on
Answered on Jun 24, 2016

Easiest way is to ask the FEC. However foreign nationals have the opportunity to make promotional videos--which is what you seem to be doing---and if it supports a campaign it's not different.You may be thinking of donations or coordinated efforts. You are essentially a "volunteer" unknown to the campaign. But ask the FEC.

Q: My ex has a campaign sign in her front yard for the GAL that is currently acting as gal in our active case.

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for Indiana on
Answered on Jun 24, 2016

Assuming the GAL is running for office, nothing wrong with ex expressing her 1st amendment right--as is your right.

Q: What say you about this?: Now that he's guarded by the Secret Service, it is illegal to disrupt Trump's rallies http://i

1 Answer | Asked in Election Law for New York on
Answered on Jun 24, 2016

Secret Service being on sight doesn't change the rules. People can protest if not disruptive, if it is an event open to the public. The public doesn't have a right to enter private events. As to the optics that would depend on individual facts--if there was an articulable concern for the individual on a safety basis, no as to secret service, as a general proposition.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.