Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Im looking a kick the door open lawyer!

I have two polices with aig AD&D my company keeps telling me for a month now there reviewing my case. I lost my shoulder, arm, & hand due to part injury and part cancer. I have paid in full to aig and now i should collect. Please let me know what you think.

Ronald Dean Gresham
Ronald Dean Gresham answered on Sep 4, 2019

HI. I will need more information from you to answer your question. How did you lose shoulder, arm, and hand due in part to an injury? What injury? You can always email me directly at or call me at 972-387-4040 and ask for Dean Gresham.

Thank you.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Social Security, Estate Planning and Family Law for Texas on
Q: My ex-husband died suddenly in April. Our only child has been in ICU since last July, and is disabled

My child turned 18 in July. He needs a heart and kidney transplant. His stepmother wants to discontinue child support and his health insurance, as my child now receives his father's SSI death benefits. He is ineligible to receive Medicare, Medicaid, or SSI disability due to receiving these... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Aug 15, 2019

Do you have a question?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: can the Social Security Administration count my undocumented aliens spouse's income against me and stop my SSI benefits

My husband does not have a SSN and is not authorized to work in the US. We are in the process of applying for his green card but still not been approved. I receive SSI & Medicaid. I reported my marriage to my husband immediately after getting married but the rep told me that since he... Read more »

Kevin L Dixler
Kevin L Dixler answered on Aug 6, 2019

This seems a bit more complicated. More information is needed. Do you have a joint sponsor? Your husband should qualify for work authorization if he is eligible to adjust status. If not, due to complications with filing, it seems like you need an attorney, soon!

If "the rep"...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: I was recently granted disability. I asked my lawyers office if that included social security and the girl said no

Social security office said that I can’t apply for both. Which is correct?

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Jun 20, 2019

Ask the Lawyer in the office not the "girl".

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Banking and Social Security for Texas on
Q: PayPal card/account stolen and charged someone's Social security debit card. What will happen legally?

My friend's PayPal debit card was stolen and her account hacked. She's is being blamed for charging this lady's card by social security. The lady that has her card used gets disability. My friend didn't do it but has no way to prove she didn't do it. They said they are... Read more »

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace answered on Apr 28, 2019

Fortunately, she doesn't have to PROVE it wasn't her. The prosecutor has the burden to prove it WAS her. Your friend needs reasonable doubt that it could have been someone else... that she too was a victim of identity theft. Unfortunately, she is starting from a difficult position if... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Are there protection laws for back pay or funds received from SSDI that a person took and invested ?

An individual received SSDI,(not SSI) along with back pay, after a long struggle with the Social Security Adm., in mid-spring of '18. Upon receiving the back pay, this person, who doesn't have a 401k, nest egg, family support...etc., decided to invest a percentage of the money into... Read more »

Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren answered on Apr 16, 2019

THANK you for an excellent question. I believe you and I would get along great. The situation of which you speak is one of the more ridiculous scenarios of SSI in my opinion. However I am sure it makes sense to those that wrote the law. SSI benefits are based on need so if the person that receives... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: Can I receive SS benefits on her record when I am age 62, or will I have to wait until she is 62 and I am 68?

I plan to retire at age 62, this November 2019. My ex-wife, a Physician, from a 25 year marriage, is 6 years younger than I am.

Dustin Draper
Dustin Draper answered on Jan 22, 2019

I would need to know some additional details before I could conclusively answer this question. However, generally speaking in order to receive benefits derived from the account of a divorced spouse they themselves have to be eligible for Social Security (either through reaching retirement age or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Small Claims and Social Security for Texas on
Q: I'm trying to find out about my case Macon vs. Owens al
Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Jan 8, 2019

Your question doesn't provide enough detail to answer. If you are wanting the status of a case you are involved with you may contact the attorney representing you or the courts. Many courts allow online access to see the status of your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Social Security and Workers' Compensation for Texas on
Q: My husband and I are looking for a attorney that handles workers comp disability cases. Also someone who handles medical

We have several issue with workman comp/disability. If we could speak with someone about it because it's too long to explain the case,. We have all the paperwork from his case. After 3 years fighting we won his case. We had a lawyer that only took his money did nothing for us we fired him an... Read more »

Daniel John Christensen
Daniel John Christensen answered on Nov 21, 2018


If you are still needing assistance please call (512) 220-1800 and we would be more than happy to help you out!

I hope to hear from you soon!

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Probate, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Q: How do I amend my child's birth certificate to add her deceased father to it ?

My daughter's father passed before she was born. My son receives the social security survivors benefits. Social security told me to get a legal sibling DNA test and to send them the sealed document. They rejected her application because I did not amend her birth certificate. I was told to... Read more »

Robert W. Leonard Jr.
Robert W. Leonard Jr. answered on Oct 8, 2018

You can review the information provided at the Texas Department of State Health Services, VItal Statistics division to review the process. Here is the link:

Since you will need a court order, it would be best if you contact a...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: How is the waiting period for SSA benefits calculated if the claimant is self employed? The specific math.

SSA determined I became disabled July 10, 2015. My SSDI benefits started Jan. 16, although I didn't start receiving the money until March 2017.

I know that SSA says the waiting period for determination is five full months below SGA. However, they asked me for six months of info. What... Read more »

Thomas Carter O'Brien
Thomas Carter O'Brien answered on Jul 30, 2018

The 5-month waiting period is described in CFR § 404.315. The relevant part of the regulation states that benefits will be payable after you have been disabled for FIVE FULL (emphasis added) consecutive months. This five-month waiting period begins with the first full month in which you were... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: I'm needing advise or representation in receiving social security benefits .

I have a injury to my right hand that resulted in loss of two fingers amputation and the use of another finger my hand was crushed in a sheet metal bender .I now have been diagnosed with PTSD and several other disorders because of accident.I just got released from a extensive amount of time in... Read more »

Anna Katherine Stone
Anna Katherine Stone answered on Jul 27, 2018

They may be sending you to their on doctor if your doctors have not addressed permanent restrictions. They basically want a medical source statement commenting on your residual functional capacity (RFC). You must attend any and all appointments they set for you or you will be jeopardizing your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Do DBA lump sump settlements need to be reported to Social Security? If the person has been found disabled?

Person want to apply for workers compensation benefits, but is receiving social security benefits due to winning award for disability. Can the person apply for Workers compensation benefits and collect social security? (both) if the person has been found disabled by Social Security. And does the... Read more »

Anna Katherine Stone
Anna Katherine Stone answered on Jul 26, 2018

You would need to consult with a local workers' compensation attorney who practices in the state where you worked and were injured on the job. Also, there may be time limitations on when you can file for WC so I would encourage you to reach out to an attorney as quickly as possible. Best wishes.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Child Support and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Can my EX use my social security number for child support

I have my children with me. I am currently taking care of them. She is not. I just found out that while she was signing up for child support she used my social security number. Is she allowed to do so?

EDIT: She is trying to place me on child support and has provided my social security... Read more »

Grant St Julian III
Grant St Julian III answered on Mar 16, 2018

Who was your ex "signing up for child support" with? Did she provide your social security number and represent it as being hers, or did she just provide your number are required information?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Tax Law, Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Does arears child support payments affect an adult disabled child's social security income?

I have a severe and profound intellectually disabled child who is 20 years old. She has no income and I her amount of ssi income is around 30.00 per month. I was told, because her father was now paying his arrears child support, it had to be counted as her income. Her arears child support was... Read more »

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Feb 16, 2018

Yes. Ask the court to enter an order that it must be paid into a special needs trust, an account with a master pooled special needs trust (such as the ARC of Texas Master Pooled Trust) or a combination of these with an ABLE account on which you have signatory authority (see Money... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Social Security, Estate Planning and Probate for Texas on
Q: my Mother lives with me in Texas can my sibling in Ohio have power of attorney over her and control her money?

My Mother has lived with me for a year and three months. My sibling got POA before sending her to Texas

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Feb 5, 2018

No one can get a durable power of attorney over someone else's money. The person themselves must grant it. If your mother gave your sister a durable power of attorney, she can revoke it. If she now lacks legal capacity to manager her financial affairs (as testified by a doctor completing a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Probate and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Need help finding the right lawyer for probono in West Texas... complex divorce/CPS/defamation of character case?

I am not sure what all qualifications to look for. I need a divorce as well as fighting CPS, defamation of character, and possibly an identity framing (not sure how to explain) . I need a probono lawyer because my husband has succeeded in making me destitute and unable to get work due to slander... Read more »

Terry Lynn Garrett
Terry Lynn Garrett answered on Jan 15, 2018

You may need one family lawyer and one probate lawyer. Using the Find a Lawyer function on the State Bar of Texas website, you may find a probate lawyer who will take the probate case and be reimbursed from the estate. If you are destitute, you can file an Affidavit of Indigency asking the court... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Family Law and Social Security for Texas on
Q: In a joint bank account, does a spouse have legal rights to utilize SSDI Representative Payee benefits? Why or why not?

*Per> payee> Guide For Organizational Payees> The Role of a Representative Payee, "Being an authorized representative, having power of attorney, or a joint bank account with the beneficiary is not the same as being a payee. These arrangements do not give legal authority to... Read more »

Tammy Lyn Wincott
Tammy Lyn Wincott answered on Oct 31, 2017

Your question is answered in the law you listed above. Contact SS for further information if still unsure.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: I was denied disability and i did not appeal within 60 days. I was homeless and did not receive mail.. What do i do now
Shari Lynn Vannieuwenhoven
Shari Lynn Vannieuwenhoven answered on Aug 14, 2017

You can still file the appeal but you need to show good cause for filing the appeal late. I suggest contacting your local social security office as soon as possible to request the hearing and establish good cause. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Social Security for Texas on
Q: My new LG washer ruined clothes and towels. Can I sue?

I purchased a new set of LG washer and dryer in March 2016 from Home Depot. I bought the extended protection plan with them. The washer ruined a lot of my clothes and towels. They're only wanting to reimburse $250. Can I get more? Could this be a class action?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 27, 2017

Contact the insurance commissioner and see if they think coverage should pay for replacement value or market value.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.