Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Social Security Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Social Security for Texas on
Q: My new LG washer ruined clothes and towels. Can I sue?

I purchased a new set of LG washer and dryer in March 2016 from Home Depot. I bought the extended protection plan with them. The washer ruined a lot of my clothes and towels. They're only wanting to reimburse $250. Can I get more? Could this be a class action?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 27, 2017

Contact the insurance commissioner and see if they think coverage should pay for replacement value or market value.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: I'm a Texas resident but spend a few months a year abroad at a second residence.

Can I have my Social Security checks sent to my international address for the time that I'm there each year?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

May not make sense--possibility of mail forwarding other problems suggest not great idea. But you can if you want.,

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: Can my husband volunteer (with no compensation) for my company after he retires?

My husband and I are partners in a business. He is considering retiring in January. He is 62. I am 49. I will become the sole owner of the company. Can he "volunteer" his services for my company after he retires and keep his full SS payments? Is there a limit on how much he can


Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Nov 29, 2016

He can work there and get social security. Just means that he gets a certain amount deducted in relation to his income.

Second, he may want to wait until he is 66 or so. At 62 he only gets 75 per cent of his benefits. If he hasn't maxed his contribution he may want to put in a few more...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Does a social secerity administration person have the right to over rule on a federal judges ruling on a fraud case?
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 5, 2016

No, but this is something the claimant should discuss with their lawyer/federal public defender.

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Social Security for Texas on
Q: My ? Is if a federal judge rules on how much a defendant is to pay back monthly does SSA have the right to with hold

Withhold all of her check till the whole 67,000 is paid in full! Because they fill like I owe them because I went back to SSA office which I had been getting my SSA office and was told by the men I remember seeing in that court room the day the order was ruled and he said that that judge does... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 20, 2016

Not clear what is going on. A good place to start is with the Legal Services office if you didn't have an attorney in Federal Court. Overpayments can be waived or modified if "against equity and good conscience." Generally Social Security benefits aren't subject to... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Can a person who has been in the U.S. for 11 years become a permanent resident without being petitioned by family?

I came to the U.S. in 2005 as a 6 year old with my grandfather. I passed both checkpoints, undocumented, with approval from the officers that checked us. The officers just asked what my relationship to my grandfather was and once my grandfather answered I'm his granddaughter they let us... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 20, 2016

Doesn't look like you could adjust status.

However, if you are seriously interested in one of the armed services, believe you are in shape to get through boot camp,

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: My ? Is I was indicated on ssi frund in texas I was held liable for back pay plus had to do 5 years probation the judge

And also put in order I was to pay back 200.a month on the 1 of every till paid off no more are no less when I begins getting ss beenfits on mydecest vet husband I received itfor 11 month then it stoped i went to ssa office and was told that that federal judge had no right to tell tell SSA how... Read more »

Robert Martin Louque Jr
Robert Martin Louque Jr answered on Sep 8, 2016

Are you asking whether you can do something about a federal judge making you pay back money you received from social security that you never should have received?

The answer is no. You were required to pay back the money you should have never received.

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Insurance Bad Faith, Social Security and Workers' Compensation for Texas on
Q: I was injured in 2014, qualified for SSDI and my LTD insurance cut me off in April 2016. What recourse do I have?

My injury is a fractured foot with torn ligaments/tendons and 5 herniated cervical discs. When Medicare started in July 2016, I scheduled the corrective surgery on my foot and am still recovering. I will have to go through physical therapy and rehab for strengthening and weight bearing. I still... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 23, 2016

You have to appeal the Long term Disabiltiy cut off. Not sure why medicare isn't covering you--a good Medicare B would mean no deductibles. As to your auto, check and make sure that when you bought it you didn't purchase disability coverage. Even if you are sure you didn't, it... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Hello I'm on sibs My injury date is 10/30/2008 I stop do the job search 6/15/2016 do my ingerd I'm asking when it end ?

I'm in Texas my Injury date 10/30/2008 I been told the end of my Workcomp is 7/11/2016 is that right ?so I can get now workers compensation (WC) termination letter or document to Social Security can you tel me how I get it ?? I have the form from social security

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 16, 2016

You need to contact an attorney who handles workers compensation. However, getting workers compensation doesn't mean no social security--it just means there is an offset, or reduced benefit. I f that is your situation, you need to contact whoever the company is that handled the claim. They... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: I keep getting denied disability even though i have documentation that my spine is fusing together. Why?
Jonathan Alexander Heeps
Jonathan Alexander Heeps answered on Dec 20, 2014

Obtaining disability benefits is a long and tough road. Many claimants are denied twice before going to a hearing. Some are denied at hearings and beyond. If you have not yet reached the hearing stage, I highly recommend hiring an attorney who specializes in Social Security Disability. I would not... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: If I sell a capital asset (inherited farmland) will it affect my social security retirement benefits?

I am not of full retirement age yet.

Jerry Lutkenhaus
Jerry Lutkenhaus answered on Jun 9, 2014

No assets does not affect the receipt of Social Security Disability benefits.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: If I start SS benefits then go back to work after a few months, do I still keep the benefits I received?

I just turned 62 and not currently working. Do these benefits have to be repaid?

Clint Curtis
Clint Curtis answered on Mar 29, 2013

People between ages 62 and the year they reach full retirement age will have $1 of benefits withheld by Social Security for every $2 earned in excess of their allowable earnings threshold.

If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: When does social security run out
Jake Causing Santos
Jake Causing Santos answered on Jun 4, 2012

You will have to clarify your question since Social Securtiy administers multiple benefits, but if you are referring to Social Security Disability benefits based on your own work record, then benefits continue so long as you continue to meet Social Security's definition for disability (which... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Q: Does Chronic Constipation qualify for SSDI for Child?

My Son has Chronic Constipation and ADHD. We have applied for benefits. Because his ADHD is sort of controlled with medication (he still struggles but makes good grades) I am worried his claim will be denied, despite his frequent health problems due to constipation including 3 hospitalizations in... Read more »

Jake Causing Santos
Jake Causing Santos answered on Jun 4, 2012

Any medical conditions for children can be found to be disabling. However, the medical conditions must result in marked or extreme limitations. Based on the information you provided, two hospitalizations in two months could be extreme if the medical records show that frequent hospitalizations are... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.