Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Child Support Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for Utah on
Q: My husband and I are getting married next month. Im the only one working do i have to pay child support?

He has 4 other kids with 4 other woman. He dont have a job and he is incarcerated. He does not plan on working for the rest of his life. I always work. Will I end up paying child support? If I end up paying child support is there anyway I can have custody if the child if the Mother is living off... Read more »

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Mar 5, 2017

In Utah, a spouse is not liable for a new spouse's child support obligation. It is unlikely that you can obtain custody of a step child on the basis that the natural mother with custody of the children is living on government support. You will need to consult with a Georgia lawyer to learn... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Social Security for Utah on
Q: My fiance died while I was five months pregnant. Need to have him added to birth certificate and to have a court order.

I have DNA already. I am in slc utah

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Feb 27, 2017

You need to file a parentage action in the appropriate court to establish your deceased fiancé as the father so that he can be added to the birth certificate. There may be a jurisdictional issue depending on where your child was conceived, where the biological father died, etc. A lawyer can help... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Does she have legal recourse if I don't pay?

My kids mom is attending school and asked my wife and I for help with childcare last year and we rearranged our work schedules at a cost to us, to accommodate her classes. This year she added some classes/ days and has again asked that we help. We agreed to help but asked that she pay $5/wk for... Read more »

Christopher J. Salcido
Christopher J. Salcido answered on Feb 1, 2017

The answer is likely yes but we would need to review the terms of your decree to be sure of what your responsibilities are here. You may want to take the issue to the judge since it sounds like your decree favors personal child care over surrogate and it seems absurd she would choose day care at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Child Support and Health Care Law for Utah on
Q: How can I care for my sister?

My dad is an over the road driver and my sister wants to live with me rather than stay with his wife. Our parents are divorced and both parents are ok with this but neither live in the state. He is the custodial parent.I also don't have money for a layer due to just having a baby.

Clinton R. Brimhall
Clinton R. Brimhall answered on Aug 26, 2016

With your parents on board with this, I'm not sure I understand the difficulty you are facing.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Utah on
Q: My son's father has not seen him in over 3 years how do I go about terminating his rights

My son's father has not seen him in over 3 years, he has criminal and federal charges on his account he has never paid child support and would not sign the birth certificate. But we did get a paternity test for the ORS but whenever they contact him about child support he quits his job.

Cory Hundley
Cory Hundley answered on Dec 25, 2013

There are two basic options in terminating parental rights. First, you could try for a voluntary termination of his parental rights and he can sign away his parental rights. This is the fastest, easiest, and simplest way to terminate parental rights. The other way is involuntary termination of... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.