Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Wisconsin Collections Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law, Collections and Elder Law for Wisconsin on

Q: Can the State of Wisconsin garnish a persons pension payment? I'm 69, receive SocSec and a small pension from UPS.

Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jul 24, 2019

As is usually the case when open-ended questions like yours are asked by non-lawyers the answer will be "It depends."

In this case it depends upon the reason for the wage garnishment. If Wisconsin law allows the state to garnish wages in certain cases (like failure to pay court-ordered...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: what is statute of limitations on credit card debt. Last used 2010. Wanting payment in full 2018

Was sent to prison 2010. Wife ran card up to over $6000 without my consent. Now in 2018 credit card company is demanding payment in full. No judgment in past and haven’t heard about it until last 6 months

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Oct 16, 2018

It's 6 years from the time of default. However, you may be liable for the debt incurred by your wife. Call a consumer lawyer in Wisconsin and get a free consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims and Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: Judgement paid in full need satisfaction letter. Who do I contact?

Paid judgement in full. Need to file with the courts to purchase a house. Who do I call to get satisfaction of judgement?

Sarah Lynn Ruffi answered on Apr 23, 2018

You should contact the creditor.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: In a medical practice, if I have patients sign a billing policy indicating these details, can I then charge them

Them , should they go to collection, the collection fee I would be charged, in addition to their paying the bill owed?

Sarah Lynn Ruffi answered on Apr 23, 2018

It depends what details are included in your billing policy. Presumably, your patients would be individual so the transactions would be covered by the Wisconsin Consumer Law, which imposes limits on what a consumer can be charged. For example, you cannot charge reasonable attorney fees to collect... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Collections and Employment Law for Wisconsin on

Q: I have a note against the company I work for. I loaned the company money. How can I collect the money?

Sarah Lynn Ruffi answered on Apr 23, 2018

It depends on the actual language of the note.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: I need assistance in understanding a legal document

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Apr 6, 2018

Get a copy of the documents to a consumer lawyer - most of them in Wisconsin offer free consultations. They'll be happy to answer your questions.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: Can a WI credit card collection agency try to collect a debt from 15 years ago? No contact on at least 10 years.

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Nov 20, 2017

Most likely, no. That's because 6 years after default (assuming they don't have a judgment and you didn't make any partial payments) the debt can no longer be collected. Find a consumer lawyer and get a free consultation to better understand your rights.

2 Answers | Asked in Business Law and Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: I am ready to send a business owner the creditor demand letter. Do I need to mail it?

This business owner owes me over $10,000. I texted him and emailed him asking him to pay me back but he just ignore me. I can mail a demand letter to him but my guess is he won't read it. I just want to start this process. How should I start? Thanks!

William F Sulton Esq. answered on Sep 6, 2017

You should consider filing a lawsuit. If the contract is between two businesses, you will need to hire a lawyer because only a lawyer can represent a business in court.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: A hospital Bill that you get behind on, can the hospital just send it to collection agency without even notifying you.

They also are charging 5% interest per year but never notified me of that either. I suppose it's all legal but when someone is suppose to pay it and doesn't, it would have been nice to hear it directly from the hospital first.

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Jul 17, 2017

That's an issue of "hot debate" in the legal community these days. I would recommend talking with a lawyer in Wisconsin that handles "consumer law" issues or debt collection issues. I'm sure they'd be happy to take a look at the collection letter with you. Depending on what the letter says, or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: What funds are exempt from garnishment. unsecure credit card companies loans?

Im trying to make arrangement to lower my payment and interest rate. Im not in default or any late payments yet but will be if they wont work with me. Ive become disabled and cant make the payments much longer.

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Jun 29, 2017

Sounds like you need to utilize something called "chapter 128" that's available to individuals in Wisconsin. You do need to be employed to file; so I"m not sure if you have any employment income in addition to your disability. Here's an article about how a Chapter 128 works:... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: Can a credit card debt collector freeze my bank account if it only contains disability, pension and IRA deposites?

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Jun 29, 2017

You'd need to offer a few more details - are you talking about the funds in your checking account? Regardless of the source, you have a balance of $5,000 (based on the state statutes) that's protected from garnishment.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Probate for Wisconsin on

Q: Can Aurora Health Care automatically send bills for deceased patient to collection agency? It's their new policy.

I received first and only bill for my deceased mothers care May 30. Called for itemized bill June 1 and was told I could not have itemized bill because deceased patient's accounts are blacked out upon death, however, I might be able to get a copy after her account is closed. Then on June 9 I... Read more »

Nathan DeLadurantey answered on Jun 15, 2017

Are they sending the bill to you? Sounds like you need to locate a Wisconsin consumer law lawyer to review the letter for you. They shouldn't charge you anything to review the letter, explain your rights, and give you some advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: How can I get relief or exempt from the garnishment of my wages?

The amount that is being taken out biweekly makes it impossible to pay rent and feed three children. I'm the only one in the household with a income. I'm extremely concerned for the safety and wellbeing of my family.

David B. Levin answered on Sep 14, 2015

The amount that can be withheld from your paycheck to satisfy a judgment is set by state and federal law. Although there are some exceptions, in Wisconsin that limit is typically 20% of your disposable income. You may want to talk with a bankruptcy attorney about whether Chapter 7 might be a good... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Wisconsin on

Q: After billing how long does a business or collection agency have before the bill is no longer viable?

Rachel Lea Hunter answered on Jun 28, 2013

They have until the expiration of the statute of limitations. I am not licensed in Wisconsin - some states have 3 years (like NC) or 4 years (like PA) or 6 years (like GA).

Wisconsin seems to be 6 years, but I am not certain what kind of debt this is (credit card or other) and it may be a...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.