Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts and Tax Law for Minnesota on
Q: is my money exempt from levy?

a levy was filed on my husband by a CC company in Dakota county. There was $2880.00 frozen in our account because of it. My husband is currently in the Feds at FCI Gilmer in WV. He has been there for over 1 year. The judgement is for debt that was incurred before we were married or even knew each... Read more »

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on May 29, 2021

Open a. Ew account only in your name to protect yourself. If you can show that the money in this account that was seized came from your earnings, you should be able to recover it. You need to move fast as there are time limitations on filing such objections. I recommend you hire a lawyer to help... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: What kind of attorney do I consult if I buy property in Mexico?

I am interested in buying a condo in Peurta Villarta.

William Bailey
William Bailey answered on Feb 1, 2021

You likely need an attorney in Mexico who handles real estate transactions. Alternatively, a real estate agent in Mexico should be able to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: Can u vehicle be repossessed with a contract being signed
William Bailey
William Bailey answered on Nov 25, 2020

The situation here is not clear. You should consult directly with an attorney for assistance with this situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Employment Discrimination and Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can General Contractors force subcontractors to wear a mask for Covid or threaten contract termination

Install team,

Just a reminder that the wearing of masks or face shields while in the customer home is not optional, and there is a zero tolerance policy if you do not wear them.

The only time it is optional is when you are outside of the home and separated by at least 6 feet.... Read more »

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Sep 16, 2020

Unless you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask or face shield, you can be required to wear one while performing your work. If you do have a medical condition, you should work with your doctor to request an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act from your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: I paid $11,000 for a 12 month coaching program, I can’t do, I’m 45 days in, I learn no refunds allowed.

Do I have any rights? I live in Minnesota and the coaching program is located in California. I am 62 years old.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Aug 31, 2020

A Minnesota attorney (and possibly a California attorney, depending on how the agreement is drafted) could advise best, but your post remains open for two weeks.

Do you have rights? It could depend on how the contract was written. COVID has introduced some new territory in terms of how...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can a door-to-door sales company refuse to pay you your commission earnings if you aren't bound to set dates or hours?
Paul Lelii
Paul Lelii answered on Jul 25, 2020

Hello there. The facts you pose begs the questions what provided reason by the company for not paying your commissions, and whether you have a written contract that governs the relationship. Also, the state law in the state you live in may govern your relationship with the company. Generally, a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation, Business Law, Contracts and Employment Law for Minnesota on
Q: I’m in the pre-startup phase of forming my company and I’m looking for employees to “hire“.

My question with this is can someone legally “hire” for work under the title employee without ever expecting or receiving compensation from their employer. And can NDA be introduced in those working terms?

Carrie Dyer
Carrie Dyer answered on Apr 8, 2020

If you hire an employee, you will need to comply with the federal and state wage and hour laws with regard to compensating that employee. You should consult an employment law attorney in your area for advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Collections, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Best way to go about this

I bought my stepmom car for 2000.. and today she showed up with the police claiming that I never paid her anything and she wants the car back. She had the car towed off my property...

I have text messages from her saying the price of the car, me giving her mom, and are agreement... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jan 5, 2020

consult a local attorney, you can try this in small claims depending on your jurisdiction

make sure you have all documented and printed for presenting to the court

Q: Does this form of business protect my right internationally, to say I patent articles under the name of the corporation
Kevin E. Flynn
Kevin E. Flynn answered on Jul 8, 2019

We do not have an option for an international patent. (Yes, I know many people write that they have an international patent, but they are wrong). We have a type of patent application that is the front end for many patent system. This is called a Patent Cooperation Treaty Application (PCT... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Contracts and Foreclosure for Minnesota on
Q: what are the consequences of just walking away from our motorhome payments we can no longer afford

recent repair bills ...we now owe.more than the value..we have lived full time in this since 2012

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison answered on Jul 6, 2019

They will sue you, get a judgment, and then pursue you til it is paid if you do nothing.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: my husband had his parents on mortgage. He wasn’t. We made all the payments & taxes. sold it. She kept $. What can do?

Curious if there is anything we can do to get the money back from the sale of the home. Parents never paid anything. Just their name was on the paperwork. We sold it after 15 years.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Jun 3, 2019

Unless your and/or husband had some sort of written contract or lease agreement covering your living in the property owned by his parents there is nothing you can do. The 15 years of mortgage payments you and your husband made were akin to rent; in fact, unless his parents had allowed you and your... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: I want to buy a puppy. What ways could I make it work?

I am a minor but I have a friend who is 18 and is willing to help.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 8, 2019

Alexa, please answer this non-legal question for me.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: I have entered into a leally binding contract to purchase a house in St Paul MN. Both parties have signed, and prior

to closing, the seller is trying to back out. Question, do I as the buyer initiate legal action to enforce the sale, or does the realty company I am working with initiate legal action?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 6, 2019

The realty company and the seller do not have any contract to enforce. The contract is between you and the seller, so you will have to sue to enforce it.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Is an email from a realtor enough to negate a signed contract to represent a home buyer? No home has been purchased.

My niece is a first time home buyer and has had dealing with two disreputable realtors who manipulated her into signing lengthy contracts. The first released her from the contract via email, and the second refused to submit a bid on a desirable home until she signed a contract. She made it clear... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 30, 2019

This does not sound like your problem; this sounds like your niece's problem. And since your niece's problem raises important contractual and legal questions that can injure your niece, I highly recommend that you tell your niece to consult with a real estate lawyer before she does... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: How can I get out of a wedding venue contract that was signed?

We signed our venue contract on Feb 15, 2019.Our wedding is Aug 3rd 2019.After putting down a deposit and paying our first payment, we had our food tasting.Very dissapointing to say the least.We looked at our contract and it states that cancellation need to 180 days outside of wedding.We never had... Read more »

Kristian Kircher
Kristian Kircher answered on Apr 10, 2019

You should meet with a lawyer to go over the contract in full and discuss your options moving forward. Sometimes it is as simple as your representative speaking with the venue to settle the matter.

Kristian T. Kircher

BK Law Group

Free Consultation

(952) 314-5101

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: Can seller change legal description of property after signed purchase agreement by buyer?

The property in dispute is the number assigned parking slot that seller verbally gave to neighbor. The buyer still gets the same type of space, just a different number. Seller was not aware that the exact # was even part of the condo description.

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 9, 2019

This forum is intended as a place where non-lawyers can ask general legal questions to the Justia panel of lawyers having expertise in many different areas of law. The answer to this question can best be explained by a ancient rule of law expressed in its original Latin: "De minimus non curat... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: In MN, Can you get out of your apartment lease with a 60 day written notice?

My boyfriend (husband now) gave his apartment complex a 60 day written notice when he decided to move in with me after not living in the apartment for a couple months. it's been 3+ years and now I see on his credit report that he has been given over to a collection agency for delinquent... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

You and your new husband have a very serious legal problem that cannot be solved by discussing what your husband told you was "his understanding" that all he had to do was give his prior landlord a 60 day written notice before moving out of the apartment he rented before meeting and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Adoption and Animal / Dog Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can we be sued?

Me and my boyfriend got a puppy and we weren’t able to keep him due to us having a baby on the way and it added tons of stress we didn’t need, so we gave him to the human society. The person we bought the dog from found out and is telling people we signed a contract and we didn’t pay for the... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Mar 30, 2019

Sure; in America anyone can sue anybody for anything at any time (even without a lawyer in small claims court). Winning the lawsuit is another matter. Save all your receipts, text messages, emails and all other documents.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning and Family Law for Minnesota on
Q: Does the principle have to be present at a TX bank, if both co-agents of a DPOA want to modify the principles account?

My cousin and I are both the agents (acting jointly) for our Aunt, who's 79 yrs old, on a durable power of a attorney.

The Principle has diminished mental capacity, is a US citizen currently living in the Philippines. One agent is in Nevada, the other agent is in Minnesota. Only one... Read more »

Joshua Damberg
Joshua Damberg answered on Feb 6, 2019

Generally, the answer to this is no. The Principal should not need to be present for his or her Attorney(s)-in-Fact to use the Power of Attorney document. In light of the recent epidemic of misuse of POAs and the exploitation of the elderly, many banks have attempted to institute additional... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: I recently co-signed an auto loan for a friend who promised to make payments. Now he has refused to make payment but

Lied about making payment. The bank just contacted me and I've tried several times to reach the borrower but he refused to respond to my messages, emails or answer/return any of my calls. I can't afford to make payments as am struggling to care for my child as a single parent. The... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 27, 2018

If you co-signed, then you are likely responsible just as equally as your so-called friend. Your options may include refinancing, forbearance, taking out another loan to pay this back, borrowing money to pay it off, etc. You will find many resources, blog posts, AG articles, and the like... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.