Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Criminal Law, Family Law and Federal Crimes for Minnesota on
Q: Would emancipation wedding with someone I love help get them out of a charge with me that's 3rd degree sexual conduct?

I am 16 and my boyfriend is 22 he just turned 22 not even a month ago. Me and him have been dating awhile and I hate where I live and have been wanting to live with him and start our lives. (I know I am young but I am mature enough). While with these charges would we still be able to get married... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Mar 3, 2017

Consent is not a defense to the statutory rape of a minor in the state of Minnesota. Thus, marrying this individual would not result in the charges being dropped. Further, the marriage would require parental consent. I suspect the state would not take too kindly to your parents granting you consent... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Consumer Law for Minnesota on

I and noticed today my copy of said contract has no signatures and my typed name on the contract is not correct. Should I not have a copy of the contract containing the signatures of both parties?

Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Dec 22, 2016

From your answer it seems the contract was prepared by the seller. Since you have the goods you are acting in accordance with the contract and so are they. That is a manifestation of mutual assent to the terms. So signatures are not needed (although that is certainly not the best ordinary course... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: Can I void a contract with a roofer my girlfriend signed without my knowledge and permission? I'm the home owner not her

One of those door to door roofers came to my home and offered my girlfriend a free roof inspection. He then had her sign an agreement that if the insurance claim was approved the would get the job. She does not own the home, I am the sole owner, and she told him this and he said it was fine. She... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Dec 7, 2016

This depends on the particular situation at-hand and more facts would be needed, but I would say there's a good likelihood you can get out of this.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: If you sign a 3 month contract w/RE agent & later change mind about selling home, any way you can get out of contract?
Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Oct 13, 2016

Check the terms of the contract. Usually they have an "opt-out" or similar clause. You can also simply agree to cancel the contract. I suggest consulting with an attorney - a review of your particular facts and the contract will provide you with the best guidance.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Animal / Dog Law and Landlord - Tenant for Minnesota on
Q: should the pet policy be clearly stated in the lease agreement?

In the lease agreement it says under pets ' I may not keep any animals of any kind without the written consent of management.' I emailed my landlord asking to have a pet and she tells me her pet policy and that it'll be a $200 damage deposit. But her 'pet policy ' was never stated in the lease. I... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 2, 2016

You need written consent -- but you won't get written consent without paying the $200. If you have a pet without written consent, that would be considered violating the terms of your lease and could be grounds for eviction.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Juvenile Law for Minnesota on
Q: I'm 15 and I made a pledge to a organization on the phone am I forced to donate what I pledged ?

It's a cancer organization located in Florida and I'm located in Minnesota I made a pledge of 35 dollars and I want to if I could get in trouble if I don't donate or could my parents get in to some sort of trouble.

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Aug 22, 2016

In a word, no. You'll be fine.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Minnesota on
Q: Can I back out from buying a house?? Is it true that my agent will get sued if I back out?? PLEASE HELP!!

Hi. We are supposed to close on the house in 7 days but I don't want to buy the house anymore. We don't think we can afford it plus my husband has been having a hard time on one of the jobs I know that should have been thought first thing, but we were so excited at first that we didnt really... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Jul 22, 2016

Check your purchase agreement and see what the default terms and remedies are. Check with your lender and see if you still qualify for the loan. It is not a bad idea to notify the seller -- they might have a back-up offer ready to go or they may be fine with simply keeping your earnest money.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: I attend a private school. Students phones are routinely seized and searched for minor policy infractions?

We signed a contract that allows them to take our phone at anytime and search it. Is the enforcement of this policy legal and is it legal for the school to make us sign this contract?

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 21, 2016

Schools are allowed to exhibit a greater deal of control over students in the school than would be allowed in other situations. The contract isn't so much a legal contract as it is a "behavior contract" for the purpose of communicating the policy to students. The school is allowed to set its own... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law and Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: Do I need to help the new owner of the puppy pay his medical bill? We sold him as he is with no contract agreement.

We got a puppy from a small breeder. Within a week, we could no longer take care of him. We decided to rehome with with a fee. A few days after, the new owner asked that I pay half of his medical bill because they weren't aware of his infection he had (nor did we). We had no contracts or... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 19, 2016

Although I do not know the full facts of this scenario, the answer would be no in this type of situation generally.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts for Minnesota on
Q: Can I sue Publish America for breach of contract?
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman answered on Apr 17, 2014

I assume you are asking whether you have a valid claim for breach of contract. You will need to meet with an attorney, provide a copy of the contract for the attorney to read, and then provide the facts regarding what Publish America failed to do.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.