Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Andy Chen

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for California on

Q: Other people live in the house and they have paid the rent are they going to be evicted

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

My experience has been that the sheriff generally evicts only those people who are listed by name on the writ of possession. Not sure if the Riverside County sheriff would do it differently or not.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Real Estate Law for California on

Q: If i owned a home prior to marriage, we live in the house together but the deed is under my mothers name.

he has not contributed to the mortgage. what is he entitled to in the divorce?

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

Whether he contributed to the mortgage from his salary is not the only consideration. Your salary during the marriage is community property (i.e. it is partially his). If you used your salary to pay for anything on the house -- mortgage, maintenance, landscaping, property tax, etc -- he could have... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California on

Q: can a landlord make claims that I owe them money after moving out 3 months prior.

I lived in a house for 6 months, and moved out march 31, 2018. A few weeks ago the land lord sent me a text saying I owe her a specific amount listing bills without reliable source information to verify them. Also the entire time living in the house I was never given access or information to bill... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

The landlord can always try to come after you (e.g. small claims court, etc). You can't ever stop someone from trying to do something like sue you. I would agree with your intuition -- namely, if you did indeed owe that money, why did it take almost 4 months for the landlord to come after you for... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for California on

Q: Can an ex leave your child with a new girlfriend even though we aren't divorced yet.

We are just starting the divorce process, I was served yesterday. My ex already has a gf, and tomorrow he plans on leaving out son with her. My son doesn't feel comfortable with her and I don't feel comfortable that he is with a stranger that I don't know. I told him I was able to watch him and to... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

Without court orders, anything theoretically is possible. I think your best bet is to seek court orders stating something like "If dad is unable to take care of the child, mom (i.e. you) will take the child." That way, you have a definite entitlement/right you can enforce and it's not just up to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Animal / Dog Law for California on

Q: spouse left me left three dogs also what do I do?

My now x left me and left the dogs because she has no place for them. I originally said fine they can finish out the lease because I thought this was temporary she keeps saying they will stay here because she is on the lease things have gotten ugly between us I don’t want here dogs here I want to... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

I concur with Mr. Light that you need to inform her she needs to get the dogs within a specified time period. You should not just suddenly get rid of them without giving her the opportunity to reclaim. That just gives her too much of an excuse to cause you further trouble.

Two things that...
Read more »

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody for California on

Q: I was awarded full custody. Fatherr was awarded supervised visition 1/month 2hrs. Do I need approval to leave out of

State on vacation?

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

Agree with Ms. Bradley that you should look at your current custody order to see what it says about vacations. I'm not sure how San Bernardino County does it, but the custody orders I see in Northern California counties will generally mention explicitly how vacations are to be handled. For... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for California on

Q: If I allegedly stole from my county of residence, and my court appointed attorney is employed by that same county,as is

The prosecutor , can I get a change of venue or even a fair trial?

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

You can hire your own defense lawyer, but your public defender is generally going to also work for the same county that the prosecutor works for. Public defenders and district attorneys will often work together a lot so they likely know one another socially and professionally also.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on

Q: I have a restraining order against an ex, who moved back to the city I live in. Can I break my current lease to move?

I have a restraining order against an ex due to domestic violence. He moved away to San Diego, so I remained in Rancho Cucamonga. I have just got wind that he moved back to Rancho Cucamonga and is within the vicinity. I do not feel safe and would like to move asap. Can I break my current lease... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jul 20, 2018

I have not had a case on it before, but there is a Civil Code section (1946.7) that sort of addresses this. You can google "California landlord break lease domestic violence" and it comes right up. I am not clear on scope, though. In other words, if the restrained party lives in your same building,... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for California on

Q: Are bonuses counted as income for child support calculations in CA?

My ex has been in the same industry and much the same job title for 15 years but claims he "can't predict" his quarterly or annual bonuses. In the past bonuses have nearly doubled his annual income. I have been unable to afford an attorney to fight him on this. Our orders are from WA state but he... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

Yes, California counts bonuses when determining child support. There is something called a "Smith-Ostler computation" or "Smith-Ostler Order" that covers bonuses. I have seen this referred to as an "Ostler-Smith" as well so you may want to google both terms.

It might depend on how much his...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Libel & Slander for California on

Q: What are my rights? I wrote a bad review of a book and now the author is threatening to sue me - can he do that?

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

Anyone can sue anyone else for anything. Without knowing what you said, what the author is threatening you with, etc, there is no way to answer the question of what you can or can't do if you are actually sued. It all depends.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on

Q: I bought a house in Florida and within a month there was a slab leak on a new addition.

The old HO was supposed to fix a leak in the same bathroom (which was the new addition) and no proof they did it. Also, the water company said he has proof there it was leaking before we bought. Since we bought, we have had a hot water heater issue and other plumbing issues. Everything stated is... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

You should be asking this in the Florida forum, not the California one.

3 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for California on

Q: I’m 19 and was charged with DUI. Is it possible to get the charges lowered or maybe dropped in court?

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

There is no general answer to this question. Everyone in your position wants their charges lowered or dropped, but the district attorney doesn't just do that because the defendant wants it. Whether the DA does will depend on the facts of your case.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for California on

Q: Going to move to California soon. I have 3 guns that I don’t know if I’m allowed to bring.

Sig Legion p226 SAO

Sig scorpion emperor 1911

Colt 1911

Andy Chen answered on Jun 3, 2018

California's attorney general has a list of guns that are allowed to be sold in California ( I don't know if that list is also for guns that are allowed to be brought in to California by someone moving here. To be safe, I would assume it is.... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for California on

Q: is there an attorney pro bono program in the family court division of the pasadena/chatsworth ca superior court?

I have a case in the family court and want to contest supervised visitation.

Andy Chen answered on May 12, 2018

This type of question is generally best answered by going to the courthouse itself. I've not been to Pasadena/Chatsworth courthouse before, but many family courthouses in California have lists of agencies who will refer you to free or discounted lawyers. These are sometimes run by that county's bar... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for California on

Q: Traffic tickets under my name when I never visited Virginia. I live in california not sure how to get this resolved..

The name of the person who actually received these tickets, paid the fine in full. This person shares a same name, same birth month and same birth date except the birth year with me. Various Virginia Courts are saying they don't have those tickets under my name since the full DOB does not match..... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on May 12, 2018

The easiest -- although likely not cheapest --- option is to hire a lawyer in Virginia who deals with traffic tickets, DMV stuff, etc. DMV stuff in California can get hugely involved. I have never checked, but would assume it is the same in Virginia.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for California on

Q: I was married to a FLA for 17 years. He got a bifurcation in 2015. Can he get a final decree without my signature?

We have spent 5 years and no final decree. I spent $500,000 on attorneys and ended up with nothing. I have two requests for him - I have written them to his attorney - and have had no answer. Can the divorce be finalized behind my back without my knowlege?

Andy Chen answered on May 12, 2018

You'd have to check the court file to be certain, but he shouldn't be able to. Cases -- in general, including divorces -- resolve one of two ways: (1) by mutual agreement between the parties, or (2) by trial. It sounds like there was no agreement. I am assuming that you would have received notice... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for California on

Q: I've been paying $500 a month for the past 10 years which was agreed to by both but mother is trying to raise. Can she?

Andy Chen answered on Mar 6, 2018

She can always try. Whether she can succeed or not depends on many factors, such as if there is a current order and whether circumstances have changed since that order was made.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for California on

Q: I pay 950 a month for my daughter who is 13 I have 3 other kids I just found out my 3 year old has autism

Can this change my child support I have no contact with my 13 year old her choice not mine

Andy Chen answered on Mar 6, 2018

It can, especially if the autism has expenses (e.g. counseling, special teachers, etc) that are not covered by your insurance.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Divorce for California on

Q: I'm owed around$120,000 in child support and alimony still can't get him to pay on time or in full

Gone back too court 2-3 times already for contempt of court he says he will pay but never does I'm stressed out and fustrateted over this I don't know what else to do

Andy Chen answered on Mar 6, 2018

Does he work? If so, have you tried garnishing him? For child support, have you asked the Fresno County Dept of Child Support to collect this for you? They might, if a significant portion of the $120K is for child support.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody for California on

Q: I live 5 hours from my ex husband and kids. He was driving halfway to drop my kids off, but now refuses. What can I do?

I now have an infant daughter who is 5 months old and this puts a great hardship driving 5 hours one way, picking up my kids, then on Sunday driving 5 hours dropping them off and driving 5 hours again. He said he doesn't have to. In the custody agreement it said we would both maintain... Read more »

Andy Chen answered on Mar 6, 2018

You should see what the current court order says about transportation and follow that. If the current order no longer works due to your relocation, you should go back to court and get a new order issued. Having a lawyer will make this process much easier.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.