Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alaska Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: is it blackmail to threaten to tell everyone about your abuser? i have been abused for the last 20 months

i am no longer with this person, i feel no need to protect him anymore, and he can no longer beg for forgiveness and manipulate me into being quiet. i would like to share my story of what he did to me to others. i would like to protect everyone from him.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Can my boyfriend and father of my child kick me out of my home if he owns the house
Phyllis Shepherd
Phyllis Shepherd answered on Jul 17, 2021

If your boyfriend has a domestic violence order against you, the court may grant him temporary custody of the minor . child and the court may order you to leave the home. Without a domestic violence protective order, If your boyfriend owns the home and if you were a tenant in his home and you did... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Domestic Violence and Wrongful Death for Alaska on
Q: How do I find a lawyer that will do my case as a Pro Bono? I don't have much money if any and I really need some help.

Please if you could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it so much more then you know. Thank you for taking the time to read this

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Sep 29, 2018

Yes. There is an entire law firm. It is called the Public Defender's Office.

If you asking I seek a law firm for you, what can I tell the firm about the following?

What makes you special that you should deserve free services?

Have you paid it forward? That means what...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: My boyfriend is an addict with a history of domestic violence in previous relationship. Can I take our 2 kids and leave?

I will move 45 miles away to my mothers home. What steps should I take to protect myself and my children and my mother from possible retaliation? I want to know for sure that he can't use my children to manipulate and control me after I get away from him. I'm poor and I have no financial... Read more »

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jul 8, 2018

If you have no court order governing custody, you can do whatever is reasonable under the circumstances. However the father has equal rights, so you will need to get a court order. If there has been domestic violence, then you should get a restraining order. This is something you can do without... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Alaska on
Q: Can I the mother leave ak with my child then file divorced from another state

I don't feel safe for me or my child. I have no support no family here other than my children the father is on probation for a dv on me at this time

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jan 29, 2018

You are free to move wherever you want, as long as there's not already a divorce case pending. (To the extent it's safe, you should still provide whatever visitation you can with the other parent.)

You will need to check the divorce jurisdiction law in the state you're...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: If i taken care of my children all the years and father tries to take them away is it possible he can take them?

And he has been on child support for years and has never been present ever not even a birthday or holiday and barely any phone calls made. Is it possible he can take them away from me?

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Jan 25, 2018

If you have a custody order, then his rights are defined by that. If you have never gotten a custody order from the court, then you both have equal rights. In that case, you should file a Custody Complaint in court, and get the court to determine what is appropriate. If the father has not had... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: Can they take my kids because I was going to the battered woman's shelter?
Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Feb 13, 2017

No, there must be evidence of abuse or neglect, or failure to protect from abuse at the hands of another. That may or may not be present when a battered woman's shelter is involved. If there has been domestic violence, the question is whether the children have been exposed to it, and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Domestic Violence for Alaska on
Q: married 6 mts.,both names are on morgage but I make all payments/upkeep,who will get house,got house together

before we were married,hes only on paperwork because of my credit,I make more money,does he have right to 401k/retirement.

Stefan Otterson
Stefan Otterson answered on Oct 27, 2016

Normally retirement savings, any other savings, and any other assets (just the equity) accumulated during the marriage are considered marital assets and the court is supposed to divide them up fairly. Six months is a very short marriage, so the court may simply try to return you both to the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.