Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kansas Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can I sue my landlord over parking garage being broken into?

my large complex has a gated with key fab entrance parking garage. Garage doors are currently broken and stuck up 24/7. At the ground level is an elevator and door leading to all levels for stairs and entrances to building but you need fab to enter residential building part. no fab is needed for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can a landlord kick you out if your rent has never been late . The ground is tennis have trouble with each other,

One is calling the police on the other ,the one that calls has been harassing her and company all hrs throughout the night the other has been reporting to landlord about this ,she has video footage and documents

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: My landlord enters my place without any notice took my window air unit out then 2 days later came and took fuse to ac

The central unit she removed the fuse so we couldn't use it

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can a landlord ask for additional money beyond keeping your security deposit after moving out?

Back in June I moved out of a rental home. The official move out date was 6/30. The landlord had changed property managers two months prior. The current property manager explained to us that he would take care of the cleaning by hiring a company he trusts and taking it out of our deposit. We do our... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Hi What is the statue of limitations for suing a landlord for breach of the rental contract. I’m in Kansas. Thank you
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 5, 2021

The statute of limitation for an action based upon a written agreement is 5 years. If the agreement was oral, it would be 3 years. There may be some statutory rights (e.g., Landlord Tenant) that are involved in which case the statute of limitations would generally be three years. If the statutory... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Estate Planning and Probate for Kansas on
Q: Who has the legal rights to own the possessions of a deceased roommate if said roommate has no family?

My friends housemate passed away recently. They lived together for about 10 years in one house (owned by the living housemate) in Missouri. The deceased had no family at all that were living, except for one estranged brother who may be in prison, whereabouts unknown and no will made out. The... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Feb 28, 2021

A Kansas attorney could advise best here, but your post remains open for four weeks. At this point, you might not want to lose more time waiting for a response in a different legal category, but this is something that attorneys in the Probate and Estate Planning categories would have the most... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: city gave me paperwork saying my place was uninhabitable and the landlord is trying make me pay Feb and March rent
Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy answered on Feb 9, 2021

Could you expand upon your question?

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: I am being evicted for not paying my rent in kansas. My hours were cut a lot so I signed the declaration thingy but stil

I'm still being evicted even the judge said. I see all over the internet no one can be evicted how am I still being evicted??

Doug Coe
Doug Coe answered on Oct 5, 2020

I would highly encourage you to speak to an attorney about this. It's not as simple as "the landlord can't evict me." There are a number of nuisances to the current executive orders, and an attorney should be able to help your specific situation. Kansas Legal Services may be able to help, too.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Needing to find out what steps are necessary to remove a person from a house deed. Brother has kids living rent free.

House was in danger of being put up for sheriff sale until I paid delinquent taxes. I want possession and he refuses to cooperate

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Sep 9, 2020

If two or more persons listed as tenants in common on a property, control of the property is problematic if they are unable to agree. In absence of an agreed sale and purchase of the other person's interest, Kansas law provides for the partition of the property through a court proceeding. If... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can I lock a commercial tennaant out for non-payment
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 25, 2019

What does the commercial lease say about slow payments or non-payments? If the lease says yes, then do it.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: If you give tenant 30 day notice

On the 17th of Sept should you expect to receive prorated rent from the 1st to when they move out?

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: I live in a duplex. Is it legal for a landlord to only have fire alarms installed in ONE of the units?

The duplex is 2 units in the same building.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: How much time do I need to give tenets to up the rent?

My renters never pay on time, and I have to pay every month on a loan for that house. I fix every problem quickly when it is brought to my attention. They won't sign a contract either. What can I do to get them out or raise the rent do to them always being late.

Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Apr 28, 2018

If the lease is a month-to-month, a landlord may provide notice at least one month prior to a rent-paying date that the lease is going to terminate at the end of the following month. In a separate written communication, a landlord could communicate an offer to enter into a written lease at a higher... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: My question is related to my landlord and reasonable notice.

My landlord approached the property (specifically, my front door) without reasonable or any notice. He then comes up to what is only a clear glass door and knocks on it as he is looking into my apartment. I opened the door and he discovers I had been smoking in the house and had pets. What’s next?

Linda Liang
Linda Liang answered on Apr 24, 2018

It is not against law to knock on somebody's door without notice. If you are found to have violted the lease, your landlord has right to request stop doing or anything the lease allows him to do.

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: If I received an evection notice stating that I needed to pay rent or be out of the home by 5 days can I fight it?

My landlord had faulty water pipes and the pipes froze and burst she was aware of the problem only because the day before I informed her of the pipes bursting on January 15th. She then informed me as the tenant I needed to replace the pipes under the house as it is my responsibility. I was just... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: If a landlord gives you 3 day notice to vacate (Sedgwick County, KS) how long before you will be removed from property?
Scott C. Stockwell
Scott C. Stockwell answered on Feb 23, 2018

It is necessary for a landlord to provide a three-day notice (rent must be paid in three days or an action to evict will be initiated) prior to filing a lawsuit. Once the lawsuit is filed, you will be served with notice that the lawsuit is filed and given a court date to appear. If you file a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can a landlord renew a lease without guarntors consent?
Dr. Jamie Cuticchia
Dr. Jamie Cuticchia answered on Aug 2, 2017

Given the question as posted, this is not an IP issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Kansas on
Q: Can I limit my liability as cosigner in a multi-tenant lease, with an addendum stating liability limits in dollar value?

being asked to co-sign for my son in a apartment lease that he will be sharing with two other boys. The landlord has agreed to an addendum that will state a limited liability equal to his portion of the rent over the life of the lease. Can this be accomplished ?

Rick Davis
Rick Davis answered on May 8, 2017

Yes, if both parties agree you can draft an addendum to provide that you are guaranteeing only a portion of the total rent. As long as both parties sign it, it would be enforceable to limit your liability.

*Please be advised that this answer is for information or educational purposes only...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.