Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Intellectual Property Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Copyright, Internet Law, Libel & Slander and Intellectual Property for Mississippi on
Q: Does making pornographic content of a copyrighted character fall under fair use / parody?

This character is widely publicly sexualized, but not by the owner of the copyright per say. This content would also be for profit.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 18, 2023

In the U.S., fair use is a doctrine that allows limited use of copyrighted material without obtaining permission from the rights holders. Factors considered include the purpose of use, nature of the copyrighted work, amount used, and effect on the market.

While parody can sometimes be...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) and Intellectual Property for Mississippi on
Q: How do I get an Assignee off my patent if they are out of business?

The company has been out of business for several years and I want ithe Patent back in my name. I want to make a revision and apply for another Patent with the revision.

Stephen E. Zweig
Stephen E. Zweig pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 25, 2023

When a company goes out of business, the company assets (like patents) usually end up reverting to the company creditors and company stockholders. So unless this is your company, and you had no creditors or other stockholders, you may be out of luck.

In terms of filing a revision -- unless...
View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Intellectual Property, Probate and Real Estate Law for Mississippi on
Q: If A will hasn’t been probated can the estate / property be sold
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 6, 2020

Most decedents die intestate. As such their heirs-at-law take the real property at death, and the next-of-kin take the personal property. If a Will is not Probated it has no effect. A recorded Affidavit of Heirship should be the source of title for the Decedent's relatives. If a buyer... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for Mississippi on
Q: is legitimizing heirs needed to live on property valued about &15,000 with deed in dead dads name in Mississippi
Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
answered on Feb 15, 2018

It depends on several things. First and foremost, the main thing that would need to be looked at would be the deed, and whether there are any rights of survivorship. After that, it would depend largely on whether there was a will, an estate was opened, and who the heirs are, and what agreement can... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Intellectual Property, Municipal Law and Landlord - Tenant for Mississippi on
Q: What legal action can I take against my apartment complex for neighbors disturbing the peace.

I've contacted the property manager and the regional manager and they've been dragging their feet on the issue. The problem has been going on for the past 6 months..

Griffin Klema
Griffin Klema
answered on Sep 17, 2017

Depending on what your state's law provides for noise ordinances, nuisances, or disorderly conduct, you may be able to pursue a civil action against the tenants under a theory of "negligence per se."

As for the property owner or management company, they too may be liable...
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.