Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
North Carolina Municipal Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Municipal Law for North Carolina on
Q: I am a disabled veteran who currently lives with a friend/homeowner who does not want to fix ac and other problems.

Instead of having a new ac unit installed she is relying on the old unit being refurbished. Yet I pay for utilities and other miscellaneous bills including a bathroom remodel. It's not safe for my condition to continue to stay here if these problems persist. As a disabled veteran what are my... Read more »

Lynn Ellen Coleman
Lynn Ellen Coleman
answered on Feb 7, 2023

In general, if there is a condition that makes things unsafe and a health hazard - lack of running water, lack of useable toilet bathtub or shower, leaky sewage, standing water or leaks causing mold,unsafe electrical system, rotten stairs or floorboards, lack of operable locks, for example - the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Municipal Law for North Carolina on
Q: During our appraisal it came to light that there will need to be a few repairs done to the house is the sellers liable?
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Jun 8, 2022

No, the sellers do not have to fix anything, but you have the ability to renegotiate the contract anytime during the due diligence period.

2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant, Collections, Municipal Law and Small Claims for North Carolina on
Q: A tenant defaulted on rent and abandoned an office in NC. Their HQ is in GA. Can I use small claims court in NC to sue?

The abandoned office is in Charlotte NC and was their only NC office. There is nobody here to receive the summons. Their HQ is in GA, where we know the summons will be received. I tried to file but the small claims clerk led me to believe that serving the HQ in GA would be problematic and out of... Read more »

Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
answered on Oct 2, 2020

You cannot file in small claims court if the defendant is not a resident of the same county. Your only option is the district court, sorry.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Municipal Law for North Carolina on
Q: Can you ask what evidence has been brought against you ?
Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Feb 22, 2018

You can ask anything. But, before any lawyer can tell you whether the you will be entitled to discovery, the lawyer needs to know much more information than you have provided. And, if the evidence to which you refer might lead to a criminal charge, it would be extraordinarily stupid to publish... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.