Ask a Question

Get free answers to your International Law legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Virginia International Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Arbitration / Mediation Law and International Law for Virginia on
Q: How can I find out if I have been a victim of power of attorney fraud?

My late spouse was from another country and owned property there. I allowed my brother in law to be my P.O.A., to handle that business as I could not go to said country. I haven't heard anything from anyone in 2 years. I am in West Virginia and my in laws are in Texas.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 6, 2020

Of all the categories you chose, maybe the best one to start with could be to contact an estate planning/probate attorney. They could probably assess what kind of investigative/legal resources are needed. You could look up such attorneys here (Find-a-Lawyer, above), or through your own independent... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, International Law and Small Claims for Virginia on
Q: I ordered something worth $110 online through a website from someone in Austrailia and I'm living in the USA. How can.

How can I get my money back?

I ordered it with my debit card, and the seller has not responded it's been 2 months since I ordered they didn't respond to my emails.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Mar 20, 2019

Contact the bank or institution issuing the card to see if they have provisions for resolving or adjudicating disputes.

Tim Akpinar

2 Answers | Asked in Banking, Business Law, Consumer Law and International Law for Virginia on
Q: Is a "bank guarantee" necessary to sell a bar of gold in Ghana?

A lady wants to sell a bar of gold in country of Ghana.She is informed she needs a "bank guarantee" to sell them.She says she has to pay $4000 dollars to gain access to buyers of the gold. Is this valid or not?

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Nov 20, 2017

She would be wise to consult a lawyer in Ghana before proceedings. May countries have at many times in history restricted the sale of gold, both to currency security and for fraud prevention. It is not at all unimaginable that Ghana retains such a legal structure. She might prefer to sell the gold... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and International Law for Virginia on
Q: Im in f-1 status now I want to apply green card as my brother is a citizen here.How long it will take to get Greencard
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Jan 19, 2016

Which country are you from? Getting a green card through your brother comes under the category F4 (Family visa). Go to the visa bulletin and check what is the current priority date for your country and you will get an idea of how long it might take. Many immigration attorneys including me offer... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Personal Injury, International Law and Medical Malpractice for Virginia on
Q: International student get assualted by a person who tried to rob me

Hi I am an international student here yesterday I was going to my home waiting for the bus. Bus came that guy went first and asked me a change but I don't have any change then he punched me to my chin and pushed me I fall from the bus I got bruise on my chest and feel sore on my face and I... View More

Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
answered on Nov 20, 2015


Sorry about the incident, you might be able to apply for a U visa if you meet certain requirements. However more facts and information is needed, you should immediately contact an immigration attorney as this could be a huge positive for you to get a green card through the U visa....
View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.