Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Virginia Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Virginia on
Q: Is it possible to change from a jury trial to a bench trial?

Due to the effects of ineffective counsel, I want to change from having a jury trial for a felony case to a bench trial. Can I make a motion to the Circuit court to make this change?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Employment Law for Virginia on
Q: Greetings, at age 59 my employment with a federal contractor was terminated citing elimination of position.

I was presented a termination letter that contained a covenant not to sue and stated I would be paid for my unused leave, the letter did not contain any of the language required by the OWBPA and gave me less than 24 hours to sign.

Because I had no knowledge of EEOC, ADEA, or OWBPA I signed... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Securities Law for Virginia on
Q: Ring Camera Question

I live in a townhouse and recently purchased a Ring Camera for my back patio to prevent crime and intruders. The Camera is on my own patio approximately 15ish feet high aimed primarily toward my property. Since I live in a townhouse and my neighbors and I are only split by a 10-foot privacy fence,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia on
Q: I refinanced my home which had a Covid modification attached. The lender states they paid the mortgage and modification

In the refi, but the county recorder still,shows the modification

James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
answered on Mar 26, 2023

The land records in Virginia, recorded in the Circuit Court for the county or city where the property is located, show an entire history of the transactions concerning the property. Past transactions are not removed, or replaced, by the most recent transactions.

A refinance loan would be...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia on
Q: Under contract to buy a property in Virginia. The property has deed restrictions. Can I forfeit earnest money to get out

The seller did not disclose the restrictions on the property prior to the title search being completed. The deed restrictions were filed in 2019 and will last 40 years minimum with options to renew. The deed restrictions require any modifications to the property and land to be approved, by a... Read more »

James H. Wilson Jr.
James H. Wilson Jr.
answered on Mar 25, 2023

A seller's and purchaser's contractual rights under a written sales agreement depend on the provisions contained in the writing. There are causes of action outside the contract, that led to the formation of the agreement, including fraud and duress. A contract may be voided as... Read more »

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Virginia on
Q: My daughter was taken today by DCF and I was never informed of her being taken are interviewed before she placed

My family was never informed contacted and given the opportunity to get her she is two days old I have court today

0 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Virginia on
Q: My fiance and I want to open a joint trading account, but he lives in Canada and I live in USA at the moment.

How would we go about filing taxes?

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Virginia on
Q: I pressed this out charges against somebody they went to arraignment I need I would like to drop the charges in Virginia

How do I go about doing that so I don't have to go to court and the person doesn't get charged

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Virginia on
Q: If I am challenging probable cause of an arrest, what motion would I file pre-trial?

I am planning on challenging probable cause of arrest (I have strong evidence) which led to other charges being filed against me after said arrest. Is this a Motion to Strike, Suppress, Dismiss or other motion?

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for Virginia on
Q: Are Condo sprinklers "common elements"? Does lack of access to turning off negate sole responsibility for Unit damage?

An email from my mom's condo association asked her to go into her attic and confirm whether flu pipes were connected properly because of a "safety issue in another unit." Being 81, she asked if it was ok to have a local handyman take a look. The condo rep said that was fine.... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: Is the landlord obligated to provide another place of residence when mold is found inside the house while exterminating?

Mold was found under the floor of a bathroom and was not professionally remediated while tenants were still living inside home.

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for Virginia on
Q: Can a person travel abroad while waiting for their I 751 form to be processed.

My wife received her notice that extends her processing time to 48 months but would like to visit her

mother in Poland

Ms Grace I Gardiner
Ms Grace I Gardiner PRO label
answered on Mar 23, 2023

Yes your wife can travel to Poland to visit her mother. She needs to travel with her receipt showing that her green card is valid for an additional 48 months In addition she could request a stamp an I - 551 stamp on her passport at the nearest uscis office

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law for Virginia on
Q: Outside storage vehicle, storage company issues

Have storage space issues, vehicle parked and paid there for 20 years. Now they threaten us to fix some issues on the vehicle regarding expired tags and door ajar etc., 30 days time or take further actions.

Had a stroke and not the finances to get the vehicle from the other coast of the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia on
Q: Landlord did not provide condition report upon moving in

I am moving out and my landlord did not provide me and dud not walk through the apartment when I leased it two years ago. He also promised to paint but he did not fulfill his promise. What do I expect when I move out?

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Virginia on
Q: We had a hired contractor and he went through drawers, closets ect. while in our house. What crime is that considered?

He was caught on camera going through drawers, closets, video games while being in our home when we weren't there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.