Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Arizona Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Got the final bill from our last apartment complex, they charged us for far more than we expected. What can we do?

Our last complex is charging us for a few additional things then expected. Most notably new carpets with pet sealant when only one needed to be replaced as it became loose after water heater issues last year. And for resealing the bathtubs (2) when I had been told in roughly Dec 2017 that... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Apr 13, 2020

You have the right to negotiate with your landlord to see if you can obtain a better result. If negotiation is unsuccessful you have the right to take the matter to court and ask a judge or hearing officer to decide the issue. But you need to be aware that, if you choose to go to court, it is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Can I use just real estate attorney to buy property directly from owner, and avoid the title company?

I want to buy a piece of property in Arizona for $42K directly from the owners. The owners will finance the loan. They don't want to involve outside parties like real estate or title company.

I talked to a title company and they want about $3,500 to handle everything. I'd... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Mar 4, 2020

It is legal to do as you suggest but I strongly recommend against handling a real estate transaction this way. You would be much better served and better protected to have a title company handle this matter so you will have a title insurance policy and know that you are getting clear title to the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Arizona on
Q: Own a property in Pima county that is going to foreclosure, because One of the owners has a lien on the property

For back due taxes on his business. I want my half of the value of the property before it forecloses.

How do I put a lien on this?

Diane L. Drain
Diane L. Drain answered on Feb 20, 2020

An owner cannot have a lien on their own property. If the lender was an entity of the owner, then the entity can have a lien. Talk to an experienced litigator, with real estate experience.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Divorce and Estate Planning for Arizona on
Q: 1. Can a married couple file their our Will for distribution of half and half of our property?

The are specific in the Will about sealing and distributing the items and monies? Due to having started with a blended family.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Feb 13, 2020

Wills do not get "filed" anywhere until after the testator/testatrix passes; until then they are private.

Planning for blended families can be complicated, especially if both spouses want to provide for the surviving spouse but still protect the inheritance of the children of...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Do other access roads, though not in good condition, negate a prescriptive easement?

A prescriptive easement exists and a new property owner fenced the easement. Can the new property owner legally fence off the easement? Three other access roads exist, however, none of them are in good condition and are longer. Can the new owner be forced to remove the fence? And do the other... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jan 13, 2020

This is not a question that can be easily answered here. The answer depends upon many facts that were not included in your fact summary, including but not limited to the history of the easement that has been fenced off. I strongly recommend that you have this matter reviewed by a real estate... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: A question on paying real estate commissions to a management company that was terminated.

I am selling a residential rental property to the tenant. I have a contract with the old management company that requires I pay them 6% if selling within 180 days of the lease termination, even though I brought the tenant to them. I terminated the lease early and had a new lease signed. I also... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jan 7, 2020

I strongly recommend that you consult with a real estate attorney. Your question cannot be answered without reviewing the contracts and other materials you mentioned, including correspondence between you and the management company. You can be sure that the management company will interpret its... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: There is an auction coming up, I saw the owner just placed a "lis Pendens" to stall post auction.

Checking the county recorder's office, this was recently filed. The bank foreclosed, but it looks like she wants to live in the house awhile after the auction. How much trouble will a Lis Pendens be? It could be that she thinks no one will bid on her house with that move. I don't... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Jan 2, 2020

A lis pendens is intended to give notice of litigation that is currently pending and concerns issues of title or ownership of the real property. It creates a unlawful cloud on title if used for any other purpose and can be removed by court order if necessary. Assuming the pending foreclosure was... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Constitutional Law and Probate for Arizona on
Q: Paid mom for property, she died intestate, outstanding mtg.1616. Is property part of estate.I was assigned title.

I will assume 1616 owed on mtg. Since I also had POA, and property was security to me coupled POA, can I just file as owner with contract. I fully performed.

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Jan 2, 2020

It sounds like you paid for the property but never got a deed. Yes, the property would be part of her estate and you have a claim to receive it pursuant to contract. You should hire a probate attorney to help you pursue that claim.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Although I have resided in Green Valley over 2 yrs, I have issues with property in Arkansas where I previously resided.

Are attorney's in this state dealing with issues in other states?

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Dec 30, 2019

You will need to consult with an attorney licensed to practice in Arkansas concerning Arkansas real property matters. Real property law varies from state to state and an Arkansas real estate attorney should be hired to assist you.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Can a buyer back out of a real estate agreement after closing

I was told they have 72 hours after closing to back out

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Dec 7, 2019

Not in New York you can't, perhaps absent some overwhelming fraud perpetrated by the Seller.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: What does a lien on a house do? I can't afford the offered settlement amount on a HOA issue and they will not help me.

When I bought my house (2017) the previous owners paid for one year of HOA. After that, I never received a bill or notice of a past due balance until this year. But the bill I received was only for 2 quarterly payments. I paid the past due one and planned on paying the second one but it slipped... Read more »

Priscilla T. Upshaw
Priscilla T. Upshaw answered on Dec 2, 2019

A lien on a house means that when you sell your home, the amount of the lien has to be paid before a clean deed will be provided. It is best to contact an attorney in Arizona who can assist you with with Arizona law and the specifics of your case.

I wish you well.

-The Upshaw Law Firm.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Elder Law for Arizona on
Q: I bought and am paying for a home but my aunt is on the title. What happens if she has to use ALTCS?

I bought a HUD home in Tucson, AZ for my Aunt to use. She could not afford to live on her own. Since it was HUD, she had to be on the title with me as she is the full time resident and I use it as a vacation home. I have paid all money for the home and continue to pay the mortgage. If she uses... Read more »

Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst answered on Nov 22, 2019

Your question is missing important facts. Exactly how is the house titled? Tenants in common? If so, in what percentages? Or is the deed silent on that? Joint tenants with right of survivorship?

You do have a legitimate concern, plus other issues you may not have considered (such as...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: My husband and I are separated, not legally. Can I buy a house in Georgia without him having to be involved?

I do not want to have his bills considered nor credit. I want it in my name alone.

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Nov 14, 2019

Under Arizona law every asset purchased during marriage is presumed to be community property. To protect your investment your husband should disclaim his interest. I recommend working with an Arizona family law lawyer to assist you with this transaction so that your goals can be accomplished and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I own a home with a boyfriend 1/2 and 1/2. We have broken up. Can I force him to sell so I can get my equity?
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Nov 4, 2019

Yes, if necessary you can file an action for the partition and sale of this real property. The court will appoint a special commissioner ( a real estate agent ) to market and sell the property and the court will decide how the sales proceeds are to be divided if this becomes an issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: i recently erected a us flag on my property and received a notice I was not in compliance with the HOA.

I was unaware that I need the HOA's consent to do so. I am in non compliance because my flag pole is not one of the specified colors in the HOA guide....Black-Bronze-or dark gray. My pole is brushed aluminum. My home is white and the colors required by the HOA do not permit the pole to... Read more »

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Nov 2, 2019

In most cases, you can appeal a non-compliance notice. Check your CC&R's for the procedure to do this. I recommend communicating promptly and attempting to work out a settlement. If this matter is not resolved, it is possible that you will be fined or sued by your HOA. Your CC&Rs... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Arizona on
Q: I moved in with my BF 4 yrs ago. His mom owned the house and didn't charge rent. She died and his step

His stepdad has Alzheimer's. He moved out and wants me to pay him rent. He sleeps here more than not. Can he evict me? In AZ

Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Oct 30, 2019

If your BF has inherited the home and is the owner or if he is the court appointed personal representative of his late mother's estate, he can evict you.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: Does a home buyer have any recourse to get payment for repairs not properly completed by the seller before the sale?

AZ home sale: Defect items in the parapet stucco contractually agreed to be repaired were not properly repaired before the sale. Now, the improper repair is being discovered. Does the new homeowner have any recourse?

Vincent Gallo
Vincent Gallo answered on Oct 19, 2019

Without a written survival agreement, your only option was to have not closed until all the repairs were properly completed to your satisfaction.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Arizona on
Q: Property Taxes ??

My sister and I own 5 acres of farmland in McFarland, CA. we inherited from my Father’s estate in 2009 he passed away in 2007. I live in Tucson, AZ. I’ve been paying the property tax for 12 years and my sister who lives in CA. just ignores all of my attempts for her to pay her share. I once... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Oct 10, 2019

Sue for partition or liquidate.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona on
Q: I am 1/3 owner of a home. Am I entitled to receive the $ back I put into it when ending partnership?
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby answered on Sep 17, 2019

Maybe. It depends upon the terms of your partnership agreement. It is also possible that you are entitled only to 1/3 of the equity value of the home or nothing at all until the house sells at some future time. I recommend that you consult an attorney concerning your legal rights. This can be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts, Real Estate Law and Securities Law for Arizona on
Q: I am seeking a R E attorney close to the Mesa area for a long term relationship, who can help me with creative deals.

I also require advise with private loans.

Looking for references. Please!

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on Sep 14, 2019

This isn't a referral service; it's just a question and answer board. If you want to find an attorney, you could contact those on this site under the Find-a-Lawyer tab above, conduct your independent searches, or try the State Bar of Arizona. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.