Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Delaware Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Delaware on
Q: Can a police officer get a search warrant from another county

Can a Kent County officer get a search warrant signed by a sussex county jpc judge

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 5, 2023

Yes, a police officer can obtain a search warrant from a judge in a different county if the situation warrants it. The jurisdiction of a judge to issue a search warrant typically depends on the location where the search is to be conducted, not the home county of the officer seeking the warrant.... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Delaware on
Q: Is it possible to have a polygamous marriage in the United States under the first amendment?

I googled where I could get a polygamous marriage and it appears to be illegal but I don't see how that is possible due to the first ammendment allowing freedom of religion

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Sep 20, 2023

In Reynolds v. United States, 98 U.S. 145 (1879), the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that religious duty is not a defense to a criminal indictment for polygamy. It determined that while the First Amendment protects an individual's right to believe in polygamy, it does not prohibit Congress or the... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for Delaware on
Q: Car was towed from private property

My vehicle was towed from a shipping center in new castle County Delaware, I was parked there overnight but there were no signs indicating any enforcement. There were only fire lane signs

Maurice Mandel II
Maurice Mandel II
answered on May 22, 2023

It would appear that parking in a fire lane in PA is a towable offense. Don't need additional warning signs about towing. Probably Tow Company called by Mall Security.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Federal Crimes, International Law and Small Claims for Delaware on
Q: I need help suing Puerto Rico

I live in Delaware I am the father of four daughters who live in Puerto Rico in 2008 for which a pension was fixed for me in 2011 in 2019 my eldest daughter turned 21 years old and still continues to pay the pension in in 2019 and second daughter left home and still continues to pay the pension in... View More

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Aug 21, 2021

You might have better chances of a response with this question if you reposted under Puerto Rico. Your post remains open for two weeks. Even though you're in Delaware, it sounds like Puerto Rico is where the pension originates from. There is not a section here for Pensions, but you could try... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Delaware on
Q: Is there any document or court decision that officially superseded the original Articles of Confederation?

Knowing it is often said that the USA is a nation of laws, and knowing we have a constitution, I am wondering; if there was an official act, decision or proclamation that plainly says that the Articles of Confederation are invalidated? If not, do we Americans just pretend the Articles no longer... View More

Robert C. Collins II
Robert C. Collins II
answered on May 11, 2017

The very terms of the Constitution, ratified by 11 of the original 13 colonies, replaced the terms of the Articles. For example, Article 5 of the Articles of Confederation sets out the make-up of Congress, while Article 1 of the Constitution sets out a new, different way to make up Congress. The... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for Delaware on
Q: What kind of lawyer do I need after being assaulted by a police officer?
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
answered on Jan 16, 2013

I suggest you contact an attorney with a civil practice who represents individuals who are injured.

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.