Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Gaming legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Texas Gaming Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Entertainment / Sports, Gaming, Intellectual Property, Internet Law and Copyright for Texas on
Q: Can I create content using a known superhero's cowl and just the cowl and escape copyright infringement and the such?

Long story short I want to create youtube videos of RANDOM and just RANDOM content while using ex: Flash cowl. Just the top part of the mask not even the one that covers the whole face. I will use a different name, and although use some mannerisms, it will be obvious it is pure satire/parody. I got... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 11, 2024

Using elements of a copyrighted superhero character, such as the Flash's cowl, in your content can be legally risky, even if you're only using part of the costume and intend it as satire or parody. Copyright law protects original works of authorship, including characters and their... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for Texas on
Q: What kind of restrictions and red-flags might I need to avoid and look over when developing a mobile app?

Essentially I have an app in development that requires the user to utilize their phones movement (throwing or spinning it) as an in-game feature. I am concerned however on what would occur if a person accidently drops or breaks their phone and whether they are able to take any legal actions against... View More

Erik Špila
Erik Špila
answered on Aug 22, 2022

Dear Mrs or Mr,

thank you for your question and I will be starting with the fact that its very good (from the legal point of view) that you are already warning your users and you provide safery instructions before usage of such app.

Other relevant precautions might be to enlist...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Gaming for Texas on
Q: Website closed my account and owed me over 60k is there anything I can do

So the website is pulsz.come and I had won bit on there site was around 200k at 1 point and when it came to paying out they took over a month and said they were going to and then closed my account and said I had two accounts which I did no and explained to them multiple times and then told them my... View More

Jaime Victor Papa
Jaime Victor Papa
answered on Feb 9, 2022

Yes, you can hire a business attorney/litigator to work on this issue for you to help you recover the funds.

2 Answers | Asked in Trademark and Gaming for Texas on
Q: I have a username that is called AnoyingOrang, and I want to know if I’m able to trademark that username, if so, how?

I want to be able to keep this username for a very long time and don’t want any problems with other company’s or the YouTube Annoying Orange. Need help in understanding trademarking. I have a gaming account with the username AnoyingOrang and would like to move further with that account name.... View More

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta
answered on May 23, 2021

You need to consult with an attorney, so she can do a search and an analysis of the strenght of the mark.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Litigation, Civil Rights and Gaming for Texas on
Q: Candy crush

I was playing words with Friends and an ad popped up for Candy crush and it was constant screaming! I am deaf in one ear and when I hear loud sharp noises it makes my ears ring and hurts really bad. I couldn't mute it or x out of it it gave me severe anxiety at 6:00 in the morning, I filed a... View More

Teri A. Walter
Teri A. Walter
answered on Mar 23, 2021

My best suggestions would be: 1) Stop playing apps that have annoying adds, or 2) pay for the app so you don't have to see the ad.

2 Answers | Asked in Copyright, Entertainment / Sports and Gaming for Texas on
Q: I’m looking to become a Twitch Streamer and for my logo I am looking to use Mighty Morphin Power Rangers symbol can I?

For my logo I’d like to incorporate the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers lightning symbol but don’t know if I can because I don’t know if it is copyrighted/ trademarked.

Kathryn Perales
Kathryn Perales
answered on Nov 24, 2020

This is an interesting question because SCG Power Rangers LLC abandoned one of its Power Rangers registered trademarks (which includes the lightning symbol) back in 2017. Whether or not you can use a trademark without getting in trouble depends on several factors, which can sometimes be clear cut... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Gaming and Trademark for Texas on
Q: How to inquire about an individual's intent to sell goods/services in order to discover if I might infringe a trademark?

I have been developing a video game for more than a year now. Early on, I did a google and TESS search for any similar products, in the same class, with the same name. Nothing existed at that time, but I neglected to register a trademark for the name.

Searching this time around, there still... View More

Evelyn Suero
Evelyn Suero
answered on May 1, 2020

Contact the blog owner and inquire if they can put you in contact with the student. Note however that an intent to use is not the same as actual, continuous use in commerce. In the United States, the general rule is that trademark rights are based on priority of use in an actual business or trade.... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for Texas on
Q: I had my cruise control on 63. The police officer said I was going 72 according to the radar gun. Could radar be wrong

According to the radar gun I was going 72 in a 60. I had my cruise control on 63 going uphill. So i got a ticket for speeding. I also had a passenger in the car and the officer put on the ticket i had no passenger. He also put my wrong address down on the ticket. Could I take the ticket to court to... View More

Mark Hurt
Mark Hurt
answered on Apr 1, 2020

It is unlikely that the radar that the officer was using was not functioning properly; it would also be difficult to prove this in court as well. If you believe that you were not going as fast as the officer cited you for, I would recommend getting your speedometer calibrated on your vehicle. If... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming and Trademark for Texas on
Q: I made esports org called alleliteclan was wondering if I could use it if there’s a company called allelitewrestling

I want to know if I could use it that wrestling company trademarked allelitewrestling but I’m using AllEliteClan

Ahaji Kirk Amos
Ahaji Kirk Amos
answered on Jun 14, 2019

Maybe. You will need a trademarkability opinion.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Gaming for Texas on
Q: I rented a 1,000 sq ft room conected to main house by an outside hallway to main house. After signing a 2 month contract

After the tenant signed a 2 month contract he set up a illegal 8-liner withought my my notice or concent.

Being that the room leased to the tenant is connected to main house by an outside hallway will i be held liable. When the Sheriffs department comes down on him . Who will be held... View More

Tammy L. Wincott
Tammy L. Wincott
answered on Oct 4, 2018

Generally, illegal activity allows a landlord to invoke eviction rights.

1 Answer | Asked in Gaming for Texas on
Q: My question is an old winning Texas Lottery ticket that has more than 180 days, but less than a year; still be redeemed?


Jason Brooks
Jason Brooks
answered on Aug 16, 2018

Why don't you look at the Official Rules for that state lottery board?

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Products Liability, Gaming and Small Claims for Texas on
Q: I have a guy my PlayStation 4 to fix a couple of months ago. It's been two months can I call the authorities

He says he has it but he keeps blowing me off with lame excuses.

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Feb 5, 2018

This is probably not an issue of criminal law. If you released the item to him voluntarily it is not a crime ... unless there is some reason to question the effectiveness of your consent. For example if he tricked you in the first place and never had any intention of fixing it, then it could be... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Gaming for Texas on
Q: My wife and I were separated for 4yrs our relationship was fine she just passed away aND her mom won't give me my kids

She claim since she stayed with her she's taking custody but I'm their father I should have all rights to go get them

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Nov 28, 2017

It would be wise to hire an attorney that practices Family Law in the same county where the children currently live. The sooner, the better.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.