Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Texas Government Contracts Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Criminal Law and Government Contracts for Texas on
Q: The revised texas 209 property code requires that HOAs obtain bids for work exceeding 50,000 dollars. Who enforces this?

My HOA contracted for some work but failed to obtain bids.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Mar 17, 2023

While the section is so new that there are not any cases yet on point, it is likely that any homeowner who is a member of the HOA has standing to enforce this provision.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Government Contracts for Texas on
Q: In Texas, what are the powers of a security guard when hired to do security for a public neighborhood?

I am a security guard hired to do security for a neighborhood but I don’t know what are the do’s and don’t.

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Dec 3, 2022

The Texas Department of Public Safety regulates and licenses the private security industry in Texas. To become a licensed security guard in the state of Texas, you must first complete the Level II Training Course and Test. All commissioned and non-commissioned (armed and unarmed) security officers... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Constitutional Law and Government Contracts for Texas on
Q: Is it legal for a Texas probation officer to lower the cut off levels on a drug test (UA) for specific probationers?

My Texas probation officer testified in court that he “contacted the ‘lab’ to make special drug tests, set a lower cut-off levels for certain probationers” if he thought abuse had occurred. Is that illegal??

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Oct 10, 2021

You should always try to stay on your probation officer's good side while at the same time remembering that the judge is actually the final authority on what to do about any alleged violations. It is important to get your own attorney if they attempt to revoke or modify your probation.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Government Contracts and Public Benefits for Texas on
Q: Could you clarify how/why the minority of the Court favours an economic model of state paternalism / social democracy?

This is regarding the Supreme court case, Lochner v. New York, 198 U.S. 45 (1905)

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Nov 9, 2020

There's considerable discussion and material on this case online. It could take some effort to narrow the issues down to the specific manner outlined in the description above. One starting point could be the U.S. Supreme Court's blog -... Read more »

Q: I’m about to go to boot camp but I have a pending civil court case for a car accident. Will I be able to go to BC?

Does boot camp qualify the trial to be put on “stay” status?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Sep 14, 2020

A Texas attorney should advise, but your question remains open for two weeks. Until you are able to consult with a Texas attorney with time looming, you could check with the judge's clerk on your case. Based on your description, it sounds like a note of issue has been filed and that you may be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts and Social Security for Texas on
Q: Do DBA lump sump settlements need to be reported to Social Security? If the person has been found disabled?

Person want to apply for workers compensation benefits, but is receiving social security benefits due to winning award for disability. Can the person apply for Workers compensation benefits and collect social security? (both) if the person has been found disabled by Social Security. And does the... Read more »

Anna Katherine Stone
Anna Katherine Stone
answered on Jul 26, 2018

You would need to consult with a local workers' compensation attorney who practices in the state where you worked and were injured on the job. Also, there may be time limitations on when you can file for WC so I would encourage you to reach out to an attorney as quickly as possible. Best wishes.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Government Contracts for Texas on
Q: I have a ? I don't know what to do my wife takes my son and runs away with him and won't answer my phone calls

I know for sure that she had been see someosomeone else and staying over at there place at night when I'm at work so really I want to just get a divorce and see my boy

Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
answered on May 1, 2017

Seeing a lawyer about your rights would be a good start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.