Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Foreclosure Questions & Answers
2 Answers | Asked in Foreclosure for Michigan on
Q: how can i stop a foreclose on my deceased grandfathers home. My sister is Representative of the estate but she owe taxes

Can I pay the taxes or request a hearing to save the estate

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
answered on Apr 13, 2018

If it is a tax foreclosure, the simplest way to save the home is to pay the balance of the taxes due. I would need more information regarding the timing of the foreclosure to provide more detailed advice.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Q: Hello, My home is currently in foreclosure, it went to sheriffs sale 2 weeks ago, no one bought it, so it goes back to

The bank. we owe 277$. If my dad buys the home and we gift him the equity, can he legally rent us the home? And how soon, roughly, would we be able to get a new mortgage to buy him out eventually?

Thank you!

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
answered on Feb 10, 2018

No one bought it at the sheriff's sale? This is unusual. Generally, you have 6 months from the date of the sheriff's sale to "redeem" the property. If your father buys the property, he can rent it to whomever he wants. I suggest you contact a foreclosure defense lawyer to... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Foreclosure and Real Estate Law for Michigan on
Q: Can I use the Statue of Limitations MCL 600.5807 for my form MC03 summons in a Civil Judgement?

I purchased a home in 2006, which had 2 mortgages 80/20. The 80% lender foreclosed on the home in 2008 and I do not know what happened to the 20% lender. In October of 2017, I received a letter from a bank stating that they were the owners of the 20% mortgage and they wanted to collect a little... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
answered on Feb 5, 2018

The 10 year SOL is calculated from the date of default. You have to figure out when your last payment was made and the run date will be 60 or 90 days after that (probably). If you don't have this information you can likely get it from the Plaintiff's lawyer.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Divorce, Family Law and Foreclosure for Michigan on
Q: Husband cheated has left us for the gf. He doesn’t stay over night. He babysit the kids while I go to work on weekends.

My problem is the gf dropped in our house while I go to work or he takes them to her. I had ask him I don’t want her near our home or have her around my kids. We are still married. He has not file for divorce yet. House is going foreclosure, 7 months behind. Most of our bills are behind. He had... Read more »

Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan
answered on Jan 16, 2018

You can only assert your rights through court order. Go to family court and see if they can help. You probably want to file for divorce and custody.

Information provided for informational purposes only and should not be taken as legal advice.

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: The county made a mistake and misapplied my tax payment and I lost my home. Was the right to pay my tax violated?

By the time I found out the mistake was made the appeal window was closed. I owned 2 properties and the tax was put onto my other property that was not in jeopardy.

David Soble
David Soble
answered on Oct 6, 2017

So I have handled these matters before. You will need to provide documentation to support your statements. In a situation like this, a real estate attorney needs to review your documents and can then give you direction.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: How can me and husband obtain title to home his mother left to us

There is a land tax for 1year behind and title is still in her name but she passed away 4 years ago

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Aug 7, 2017

If the deed (not what is on the taxes, but what is on the deed as recorded in the register of deeds office) is in your mother in law's name alone and there is not a beneficiary or co-owner, then you have to go through probate. There is NOTHING stopping you from paying the taxes that are in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Foreclosure for Michigan on
Q: How long can you live in a foreclosed home in Michigan if you are not the owner
Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Aug 5, 2017

I assume you have a lease?

If so, you can stay until you are evicted. There is MUCH more to this than just that though, for example, to whom do you pay rent, etc.

I'd urge you to consult with a landlord-tenant lawyer in your area to figure out how to best 'land on your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Foreclosure and Tax Law for Michigan on
Q: I lost my Home in Oakland County to tax foreclosure I have money to pay now is can I appeal

I entered into a payment agreement in Feb by paying a few thousand dollars. Due to mis information I miss 2 (300.00) payments when I called to pay off entire tax debt I discovered I no longer own my home it is scheduled for auction in July is there an appeal process. I have spoke to several people... Read more »

Adam Alexander
Adam Alexander
answered on Jun 20, 2017

I suggest you contact Michigan's Step Forward program to see if they can help. The link is here:

You should also contact the Michigan Treasurer's office to see if they can point you in the right direction. You still may have redemption...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan on
Q: What can I as a tenant do regarding my landlord's 2 years of delinquent property taxes?

We received an orange paper stating the house was foreclosed, but could be redeemed by paying the delinquent taxes by March 31, 2017. The total tax bill is $3,113.87 for the years of 2015 and 2016. We (my wife, daughter and I) are still living in the house.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Mar 8, 2017

Understand YOU are not responsible for the back taxes. You ARE responsible to the landlord for rent, but there MAY be options you can take.

I would strongly urge you to consult with a landlord/tenant lawyer and consider the possibility of setting up an escrow account for future rent while...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.