Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Missouri Consumer Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Contracts and Consumer Law for Missouri on
Q: can you sue a company for a representative giving wrong information when it comes to the cost of a bill?

The client was quoted a cost of ~$150 when the bill got changed it was ~$195. The company offered a $25 credit but could not match the cost that there representative quoted initially. Client has this in writing.

Kevin Webb
Kevin Webb answered on Nov 23, 2017

Missouri law provides, in the Merchandising Practices Act, that if someone suffers damage because of deception, that person is entitled to relief. Now, just because the law says you're entitled to it, doesn't mean you get it. That's where a smart attorney comes in. Now, what... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Contracts for Missouri on
Q: Can I get out of an agreement through Buy Here Pay Here lot?

We recently bought a 2005 Chrysler Town and Country from Carmart August 31st. It has been nothing but problems. They knew our situation as we have a disabled father (in wheelchair) and we needed something reliable that he could get into & would fit his wheelchair. We paid 1500.00 down and 150... Read more »

Kevin Webb
Kevin Webb answered on Nov 23, 2017

You need to speak to an attorney quickly. They can best determine to what relief you may be entitled under the law. You may ask your attorney about Missouri's Lemon Law, Merchandising Practices Act, and other opportunities for relief available to you. But there's no easy yes-or-no... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Personal Injury, Civil Litigation and Construction Law for Missouri on
Q: Do I have a lawsuit against the electric company?

I was putting a metal roof on our porch today and my ladder slid, when I caught myself my arm touched a service drop that runs to the meter loop, when it done so I was electrocuted causing a small burn on my arm and numbness and tingling in my hand and arm, when I looked at it I noticed it was... Read more »

Kevin Webb
Kevin Webb answered on Nov 23, 2017

While this is a good question, it's important to follow up with an attorney in person. That attorney can discuss with you the importance of negligence, and your likelihood to prevail in a suit.

One thing that is considered when your case is evaluated is the possibility that you...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Missouri on
Q: I have products from The Honest Company that have been recalled due to a lawsuit. How do I file a claim?

I have reciepts from products I have purchased from The Honest Company. Due to a recall and a class-action lawsuit against false advertising and mold in wipes, I am entitled to my money back. When talking to a representative they told me I would only get a refund for my last 2 purchases. If I have... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jul 7, 2017

Do you have all the product or did you use it? Contact the attorneys that brought the case.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Consumer Law and Small Claims for Missouri on
Q: Can a collector garnish or sue for debt that is 5 years or older?
David Reese Fondren
David Reese Fondren answered on Apr 17, 2017

For many types of debts and liabilities the statute of limitations is 10 years. Some are even longer. There are some shorter. You need to be more specific. However, Most consumer debts and contracts are 10 years from the date of the last payment.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Consumer Law for Missouri on
Q: Does my boyfriend, in Missouri, need a car in HIS name to get his license back or can I get the SR22 insurance on my car

I have a car in my name but unsure if DMV will allow his license back unless the insurance and everything is in his name

Paul Stanko
Paul Stanko answered on Sep 24, 2016

The SR22 requirement is personal. Your boyfriend will need to contact an insurance agent himself. I see no reason why he must own a car to get insurance.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Consumer Law for Missouri on
Q: My 1998 Dodge Dakota, 243,000+ miles, in excellent condition was damaged while parked at a repair shop

The truck was at the shop to have the instrument cluster looked at as it had stopped working. While there and parked on the lot a truck that was parked behind mine caught fire and did significant damage to the rear of mine. Mine was paid for, and in excellent condition, no rust, did not burn oil.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 21, 2016

You would get book value, unless you have a replacement loss policy of your own. Double check with the insurance commissioner.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Products Liability for Missouri on
Q: I bought a car that was gm certified Come to find out was not. The air bags were deployed. Would I have a case

So they sold me the car saying in writing that it wasn't in any accident a bit it had to of beenn in one .

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 25, 2016

You have a technical breach of the specific representations. Problem is can you show what the damage to the car was and how that is diminished? Contact a member of in your area to see what they say.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Missouri on
Q: Do I have too put my daughter on my insurance or can I get them their own
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on May 29, 2015

Car insurance. Probably either option, although if she's underage you might have to do it on yours if you choose to do so. A good insurance agent should be able to answer definitively. Be well.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for Missouri on
Q: How do I locate a case in the court from three years ago?

I had a case in the consumer law area. The court motioned in my favor, and there was the second part which I lost track of the case because my lawyer in the case died. What I am supposed to do,and how can I find my case?.

Kenneth J. Geniuk
Kenneth J. Geniuk answered on Oct 28, 2014

Go to and do a litigant name search. Or, go to the courthouse where your case was/is, and the court clerk can usually look up the case based on the names of the litigants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.