Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: I am 17 and wont turn 18 until march 31st my dad kicked me out is there any way I can leave state

My dad kicked me out on April 20th I have been supporting myself I get food stamps and will be receiving my moms death benefits I really wanna go to California for a couple days with my bestfriend and her grandpa am I allowed to do that?

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on May 30, 2017

I am going to make an educated guess that your dad kicked you out over some type of dispute concerning your behavior and your dad's house rules. My other educated guess is you moved in with your best friend and although you may have a job that earns you some income you aren't truly... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Domestic Violence, Federal Crimes and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: Can my girlfriend file a restraining order against her mother's boyfriend?

My girlfriend (16) is currently living with her mother. Her mother recently got back together with her ex-boyfriend who cheated on her and abused the both of them for years. He also watched my girlfriend change her clothes when she was about 8 years old. He has recently been threatening to hit the... Read more »

Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
answered on May 1, 2017

Your girlfriend may or may not qualify for a restraining order against the boyfriend. If she is living with Mom and her boyfriend, and there are both credible threats of repeat violence she may qualify. One potential problem, though, is that she is underage and would need someone 18 or older to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Juvenile Law and Criminal Law for Oregon on
Q: I am 17 and my boyfriend is 20. He got me pregnant and my mom knows it was him she wants to put him in jail can she

I will not tell her it was really him or not but she thinks it was him

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Apr 2, 2017

First of all, is she just angry that you are pregnant or does she really want to throw your boyfriend, the father of her grand child, in jail, and possibly have him labeled as a sexual offender for the rest of his life? Maybe she just needs time to process what is going on and calm down.... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: What are my options in either hyphenating or changing my daughter's last name without my ex husband's consent?

When my daughter was born i was engaged to her father. It seemed only natural that she should have his last name. We got married and then within a year we divorced. I never took his name. I have full custody and he has limited parenting time which he has barely used. Cumulatively he's spent... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Feb 23, 2017

You can read Oregon's name change law here: It states that written notification must be sent to the other parent. It doesn't require that they consent. However, the implication is that once they get the notice they could file an objection. Given... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: What would happen if i left my house 4 months before turning 18?

I'm 17 and currently living in clackamas county with my aunt and uncle who have league guardianship.

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
answered on Jan 23, 2017

Legally, not much would happen. You would be cold and hungry unless you have some place to live and a job. If you are in public school, you can contact a counselor to arrange for free meals and public transportation. I suggest you patiently wait until you are 18, and then you can do whatever you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: Im on probation and just turned 18, my probation says I'm to stay with my mother, what do I do to make it so I can leave

I'm 18 and my probation papers that I signed say I have to stay with my mother until my probation is over but I want to move out. I'm unsure on how to go about un-releasing myself from her and any information would be very helpful

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Jan 3, 2017

The terms of probation have nothing to do with your age. If the terms say you are to stay with your mom, then you have to stay there. People on probation may have all sorts of restrictions that they have to abide by. If you have questions talk to your probation officer, but I suspect that the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: what if 18 dropped out of high school and will not give me proof of attending online ??

She says she is taking classes on line to graduate but her mom and her refuse to give me the information so I can check to ensure she is despite the fact we have joint custody and is required to. She lied in the past and I found out she failed to do her online school she has not been in school for... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman
answered on Oct 19, 2016

Read the Oregon Statutes regarding child support and a child attending school. You might want to print it out and send her a copy. Go to this link and read ORS 107.108. You may also want to read the administrative rules the also... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: Can our public elementary school ban my son from family events after he withdrew from school?

Our 9 yr old son was getting into trouble due to anxiety issues. He was finally suspended for verbally threatening a fellow student that had been bullying him. We withdrew him the next day. His older brother still attends school there. We just received an email from the principal notifying us that... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
answered on Mar 31, 2016

I do not do public education law by any means, but you have a situation where they possibly could rightful ban him from the school due to the threats he made. People can be trespassed from public places, TriMet does it all the time.

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Oregon on
Q: Im 16, Can i move out at 17?

Im 16, Can i move out at 17? I live in oregon and feel I can take care of myself. My b day is in Sep. My stepdad almost raped me and my mom doesnt believe me. I currently live with my grandma but I feel im in the way here. Ive found a suitable home for myself wich I can afford. If my mom agrees,... Read more »

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
answered on Mar 10, 2016

Review this handbook as to emancipation and other rights:

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.