Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Virginia Intellectual Property Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for Virginia on
Q: I was just wondering how to oppose someone trying to trademark a common phrase. Thank you!

Someone is trying to trademark a common phrase people use in crafting children's clothing. Is there any way to contest this from happening?

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 7, 2015

You have not said what it is you are actually talking about. Start by learning about trademarks. You can learn a lot about them on the internet.

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for Virginia on
Q: Copyright infringement question

I make custom pieces of art work for paying clients using the picture that they provide. Can I legally use the pieces that I make with their picture on them on my website. The pictures are only to showcase my work and I don't resell or recreate the piece to sell to anyone else.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Nov 3, 2015

Have the customers sign a contract which states that you can use what you produce on your website.

1 Answer | Asked in Intellectual Property for Virginia on
Q: How do I find case results for patent infrigement cases in Virginia?
Paul Overhauser
Paul Overhauser answered on Dec 17, 2010

Try going here:

Select Virgina for the jurisdiction and patent (under intellectual property) for the case "Type." This will show you patent cases that have been filed. Then get a PACER account, and look at the docket reports for various...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.