Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Wisconsin Car Accidents Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: This is a question about fault of an accident when the roads are icy.

Last night my daughter was driving home from work. It was 9:15 pm. A car drove along side her and waved. My daughter thought she knew the passenger and waved back with her left hand. At the same moment she hit a patch of ice and spun into the passenger side just before the door. The driver insisted... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jan 2, 2018

Your daughter would do well to contact an attorney who handles tickets in the county court where it will be heard to see if it can be reduced to a non point.

She should not give a statement even to her company until she speaks with an attorney as the recording could be used by the other...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Wrongful Death and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Would a car making a right turn be at fault if they crossed into the left lane and then turned right.
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Dec 26, 2017

Normally. However if you aren't sure, and you were hurt, why not call a member of the Wisc. Assn for Justice--they give free consults. Most intersection collisions depend on who is where, when.

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury, Car Accidents and Civil Litigation for Wisconsin on
Q: How long can a person hold a claim open on you from an auto accident?

My son was driving my daughters truck. hit a pedestrian. My daughters truck was under my husband and my auto insurance. My son had his own auto insurance. This accident happened 11/29/2015. My sons auto insurance paid out the policy limits but the party that was hurt refuses to sign off my son. I... Read more »

Emmanuel Muwonge
Emmanuel Muwonge answered on Nov 2, 2017

Thank you for your question. Except in cases of medical malpractice or wrongful death, a minor has two years from the date of his or her 18th birthday to file suit. If however, the victim was an adult, the statute of limitations is 3 years from the date of the accident or from the time s/he could... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: had a car accident that was essentially my fault and I have no insurance can I file bankruptcy before they sue or after

I lost my license and my job because I mobile security and now I really can't pay and if I do file bankruptcy will I lose my tax refund?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 31, 2017

Essentially isn't necessarily. First, you don't file until you have to. Second, consult a consumer attorney who handles bankruptices so you know what you'll need, what your options are.

You want to talk to an attorney about the license issue--unless you were dui it may be possible to get it back.

2 Answers | Asked in Stockbroker Fraud and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Can a woman receive 60000 from a car accident and keep the money, to buy a new car now now has 2 cars have many surgery

Leaves her 5 kids home alone 24/7 to go lay up with this dude she also has her brother living there which is a section 8 house. The brother has ties wirh the gangs. I think she needs be be re evaluated for receiving the state funds. There is nothing wrong with her nor her kids. I know people that... Read more »

William C. Head
William C. Head answered on Aug 22, 2017


View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Insurance Defense and Personal Injury for Wisconsin on
Q: What to do after receiving personal injury summons for judgment of money, following car accident?

In February 2017, I was at - fault for a minor car accident with no damages, or visible/declared injuries. I exchanged personal & insurance information with other driver, but no police accident report filed. The other driver later filed a personal injury claim with my (then) insurance company.... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Jun 29, 2017

You had insurance and this is what it is for. They will hire you an attorney. Fax and SEND THEM THE SUMMONS, phone them, keep a copy for yourself. DO NOT REPRESENT YOURSELF!

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Can I cash the insurance claims check?

I received a $200 check from the other party's insurance company from a fender bender. I was to get a notary for a signed document, the release of bodily harm. I went to the bank in which the check was drawn on and got it notarized. I then went to the post office and mailed it in their... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on May 1, 2017

No though if you were injured I wouldn't have settled before contacting an attorney, but as you yourself got the release to them, be tough to reverse that.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Is there any liability to a township for not removing snow off of a roadway after four hours?

I was in a car accident with a bus on an unplowed roadway and I was given a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. I was going well under the limit, but was unable to stop safely because of the poor road conditions.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Apr 24, 2017

The law would tend to say you should have anticipated and 1)driven even slower 2) not driven. You should fight the ticket, because you will argue that you were driving way slowly and at that particular location not slowly enough.

Second reason is that a government is given reasonable time...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Who is liable in an auto accident the titled owner or the person assuming ownership after the sale of said vehicle

I live in Wisconsin

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 12, 2016

both. The driver is primarily liable.If the person assuming ownership has no insurance, then the owner's insurance would be primary. The owner can go after the other person for "contribution." If it's you, then contact your insurance, put them on notice.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Wisconsin on
Q: What rights does a passenger have in a car. If the driver is drunk and hits someone. In the country of Cuba.
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Oct 11, 2016

You would have to ask a Cuban lawyer that, but being a socialist state I wouldn't hold my breath. However if the driver was a fellow American, you may sue that driver in the state and county where they live.

A final possibility exists. If the driver has no insurance, and if you can...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: my car was rear ended ,can i claim a rental car until repairs are carried out , both cars heavily damaged

other party accepts blame as per police report im a disabled driver and need a wheelchair to get around

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Sep 29, 2016

First, yes but contact a member of the Wisconsin Assn For Justice--they give free consultations. They should give you a rental, the issue is what type. You need one you can get in and out of and that gets a bit problematic, as normally they only have to give you the rental of a base sedan even if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Do I have to pay damages to a vehicle I hit but there wasn't any damages?
Michael Lynn Laufenberg
Michael Lynn Laufenberg answered on Jun 16, 2016

If the person whose vehicle you hit cannot prove that any damage was caused to his or her vehicle, then they are not entitled to collect any damages from you.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: buddy crashed brand new motorcycle. no police report, can i still sue for damages?

since it is brand new i didnt have insurance on it.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 19, 2015

Certainly you can sue your buddy for the damage to your bike.

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: The other drivers insurance is asking us to supply a witnesss (minor) name. Shouldn't they get that themselves?

My 17 yr old was in a car accident (no injuries) at a 4 way stop. He stated he waited for 2 cars before pulling out when it was his turn. We are dealing with the other 18 yr old driver's insurance because the 18 yr old got a failure to yield ticket..although he is claiming our son didn't... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 12, 2015

If you refuse to disclose this information, the other driver's insurance company may well deny coverage. Therefore I suggest that you disclose the information. It may well be that they cannot get this information on their own (because of privacy laws requiring that the police report be excised).

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: Insurance/car accidentNot having your side of the accident on the police report

Intersection accident.....

I was not at fault but couldn't tell the officer what had happened that day ( not the whole story) I came back later and gave the officer my insurance paragraph.

Could I have been in trouble, without my side of the accident on the report, if the car... Read more »

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Oct 3, 2015

It's unclear what you are asking. If you were issued a citation, you can hire a traffic ticket lawyer. If an injury claim is made against you, let your insurance handle it. If you were injured, talk to an injury lawyer.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents for Wisconsin on
Q: I had a car accident with no insurance caused by a flood on the I have a case?
David M. Erspamer
David M. Erspamer answered on Apr 10, 2014

If you were not working when injured, you need to prove negligence or fault in order to bring a claim.If the flood was caused by excessive rain, and not by negligence or fault, and you were not working, then you likely will not be able to recover damages.

As always, it makes sense to check...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.