Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Questions Answered by Megan R. House

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee on

Q: didn't turn driving school papers in before ticket was due. They wouldn't let turn in and had to pay ticket now.

My son accidentally forgot to turn in papers before ticket (speeding ticket) was due by 3 days. He was going to take them by next time he was in Johnson City. We live 30 min. away. He was leaving them sitting on his passenger seat so he'd remember to run the paper by. When he cleaned his car he... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Aug 25, 2016

He could have taken care of this, but he chose not to. Allowing someone to do driving school to keep a ticket off their record is not a right, it is an agreement between your son and the State. He didn't follow through with his part of the agreement, so they no longer have to honor theirs. He asked... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes and Sexual Harassment for Tennessee on

Q: How do i report a male sex offender that is having a relationshio with a 12 year old boy?

What evidence do i need and could investigation be confidential

Megan R. House answered on Aug 25, 2016

You need to report it to the police immediately. You are not responsible for proving it, that is the police department's job. When you report it to the police, you may ask that your identify be kept confidential, and they may or may not do so. You could report it to the child abuse hotline, those... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Tennessee on

Q: My father passed away last month and I am a heir so why do I have to supenna the attorney for a copy of the will?

I am not the executor of the will. My sister is and I have asked for a copy from her but have refused to give me a copy. The attorney whom done dad's estate refuses to give me a copy and said, I have to supenna a copy from him. Why should I have to go through all that when I am a heir in the will.

Megan R. House answered on May 9, 2016

It sounds like you may not be a beneficiary under the will. If you were then you would have been contacted by the attorney or your sister to let you know that you are a beneficiary and what share you would receive. If he said that you need to a subpoena the will in order to see it, then you should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation for Tennessee on

Q: General Sessions suit against me where I am the defendant that the judge dismissed without prejudice.

Need full legal definition of dismissed without prejudice and what that means for me, the defendant.

Megan R. House answered on May 5, 2016

That means that the current case was dismissed, but that the Plaintiff can refile and essentially bring another suit against you based on the same facts as the first one.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for Tennessee on

Q: Went 2 court for 1st time & judge gave me 60 days to get lawyer. Because of bail I can't afford one yet.What will happen

Bail was 50K. I am not eligible for court-appointed but not able to get lawyer just yet. What will judge do when I come back. He has not even asked me how I wanted to plead yet.

Megan R. House answered on Apr 15, 2016

If you could afford to bail yourself out but not hire a lawyer, it sounds like you should have stayed in jail in order to get a public defender. The judge will probably not ask to you to plead until you have retained an attorney or decided to represent yourself (which I do not recommend).

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: How can I find out if there is a court date for a custody hearing for my child without me knowing?Can the father do that

He came over asking me to sign papers saying he helps out, when he doesn't. I refused to sign them, although I never saw them. Then he came over a few days ago and recorded me and my daughter and took pics and then invited his sister over to take pictures. I think he maybe planning to use those... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Apr 15, 2016

If there is a custody proceeding involving you and your child then it is required by law that he serve you with the paperwork. However, if you think he is up to something, call down to the Shelby County Juvenile Court, give them your information and ask if anything has been filed or if a court date... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on

Q: I have a tentant that is 4 months past due as of today. I have let the lease expire last year.Options to evict?

Megan R. House answered on Apr 4, 2016

If there is not an active lease, then you may have what's called a month-to-month tenant. If the tenant is month-to-month, then you may evict with 30 days notice for non-payment of rent. You'll need to give notice, file the proper paperwork in court and go before a judge. I would suggest you hire... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Tennessee on

Q: Trying to complete my divorce, HELP! ! !

I filed for divorce may of 2011. The filing fee, child support, parenting classes have been complete. My attorney was referred by my mother, my mother and I had a falling out and he stated the deal he gave me was because of my mother that he would be needing an additional amount by said date, or... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Apr 4, 2016

Without all the facts, it is impossible for me to know why mediation was ordered if there is nothing in dispute. It may be considered contested because a parenting plan and marital dissolution agreement have not been submitted to the court. I suggest you find an attorney as soon as possible to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Tennessee on

Q: Will it still take 60 days to divorce if we have been separated for 2 years?

We have been separated for a little over 2 years and we are filing for divorce. He is paying for divorce, or I should say his mother is paying for divorce. It is uncontested on both parties, no assets on either side, no real property, his debts are his and mine are mine. We have no children.... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Mar 31, 2016

I recommend that you hire an attorney to handle the divorce and answer your questions.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Tennessee on

Q: Complicated

Complicated situation: I'm a woman with 2 minor children and I've been separated for about a year and a half and already filed for divorce. My final hearing is at end of April 2016. Meanwhile 2 months back I got pregnant with my boyfriends baby. My husband doesn't know but has recently started... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Mar 29, 2016

Hiding things from your attorney does nothing but put both of you in a vulnerable situation. Tell him or her immediately and discuss it with them.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: does it cost extra in a divorce to ask for my name back? my hubby had papers drawn up but i wont sign, until he adds it

he states it costs more to go back and add because it will have to go in front of the judge. he wants me too sign saturday at a notary at the bank. is this legal not to sign in front of his attorney?

Megan R. House answered on Mar 25, 2016

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if it's legal not to sign in front of his attorney, if the paperwork just has to be signed and notarized then you can sign in front of any notary. I practice in Shelby County, and in this county, there is no additional cost to ask that the court restore the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: What happens if one spouse does not take the parenting classes in an uncontested online divorce?

Megan R. House answered on Mar 22, 2016

I am unclear as to what you mean by online divorce. If you filed paperwork online, with any entity other than the court, and did not go to court and have a divorce decree signed by a judge then you are not divorced.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: I got married in TN, in 2013 and 5 months after we got married my husband left me and moved back to MS where he is from

I want a divorce ASAP but can't get in touch with him. Where do I file for divorce. We got married in Hernando,MS., he is somewhere in Jackson Ms, I live in Memphis,TN. What do I have to do? We have 2children together. 16& 15 years old.

Megan R. House answered on Mar 22, 2016

Since you are a resident of Tennessee and your husband is not, you may properly file in the county in which you reside, Shelby County. There are ways to get proper service on him, which will allow you to proceed with the divorce, without being able to get in contact with him directly. You should... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Tennessee on

Q: Can a spouse legally relocate out of state with two minors of the same marriage before filing a petition for divorce?

Wife is wanting to file irreconcilable differences and has verbally indicated intent to move out of state with children once house is sold. But I don't agree with this so she may take kids and go prior to filing.

Megan R. House answered on Mar 22, 2016

I would suggest that you file first and ask the court to address custody, particularly this potential relocation issue, as soon as possible. For an uncontested divorce with children, you must wait at least 90 days after filing for divorce before your divorce can be finalized by a judge. However,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets for Tennessee on

Q: I received a ticket on my motorcycle and the officer wrote the wrong make of the bike on the it still valid?

I was stopped 6min after the road was closed for school...I explained to the officer I was new to the area and didn't see the sign. Asked for a go 140.00 ticket I have a honda...he wrote that it was a harley. I gave him my insurance card that clearly stated the make and model of my... Read more »

Megan R. House answered on Mar 22, 2016

Yes, the ticket is still valid. Minor errors such as the wrong make and model of your back usually will not effect the validity of the ticket.

1 Answer | Asked in Uncategorized for Tennessee on

Q: Can I do most of the talking in court even if I have a lawyer?

I feel like my lawyer doesn't want to win my case and the court case is less than 2 months away.

Megan R. House answered on Mar 22, 2016

If you have questions about your case, since you already have a lawyer, you should ask him/her.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.