Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Alabama Construction Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Construction Law for Alabama on
Q: I want my money back from a contract with a pole barn builder who has done no work in a 1 1/2. What type of lawyer do?
William Vann Burkett
William Vann Burkett
answered on Jan 7, 2022

You likely need an attorney who handles contract disputes. Often construction law attorneys deal in large commercial disputes. A general practitioner or trial attorney will likely be able to give you advice on your individual situation.

1 Answer | Asked in Workers' Compensation and Construction Law for Alabama on
Q: Should I sue for workmanship comp settlement.

I was doing commercial construcvetion and a scaffold that wasnt put together correctly, by someone else collapsed while I was on it. I had to have a plate put in my clavicle, and had problems walking for months because of my sciatic nerve, had to rehab for it. They paid my weekly payment until I... View More

Jeffrey G. Blackwell
Jeffrey G. Blackwell
answered on Jun 25, 2021

Thanks for the question. You actually may have two possible cases. You certainly have a workers compensation case. You also may have what is commonly called a third-party case against the company that installed the scaffolding. In Alabama, you typically cannot sue your own employer or co-workers... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law, Constitutional Law and Construction Law for Alabama on
Q: Is there any federal law that will help someone fight an adverse possession on a 6 foot fence being built on a 400 foot

On a 400 foot track of land inside the city limits. The person that is the trespassor s. Has had the business. For 42 years and the person that ownes the surveyed land has only had it for 4 years.

Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Oct 19, 2020

There is no Federal Law which will control here. And the adjoining landowners have probably acquiesced to the fence being the boundary line irrespective of deed legal descriptions. You can sue for a boundary dispute, but you will probably lose irrespective of your survey evidence.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Alabama on
Q: someone is building a houseing develment behind my house on a hill they put in a retainer pond that runs off in my yard

what can i do about that ?

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Oct 6, 2020

An Alabama attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for four weeks. The manner in which surface water run-off is treated under the law can differ throughout the nation, depending jurisdiction. It could be governed by common law doctrine, state law, or possibility municipal and... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law and Traffic Tickets for Alabama on
Q: Is the speeding fine still doubled in a construction zone when no workers are present?

I was clocked by a state trooper supposedly doing 102 in a construction zone on a sunday. i say supposedly because he had to come over through 2 lanes in steady traffic to get behind me. I am in college and I really cant afford a ticket that big, and the points on my license will make my insurance... View More

Sheila Crumley Field
Sheila Crumley Field
answered on Sep 7, 2020

If you don’t have any prior tickets, ask for it to be dismissed if you take driving school. If you do have prior tickets ask for it to be dismissed on costs. Or ask for a trial because most troopers don’t show up. They will get one continuance. At the next court date, if the trooper is not... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law, Construction Law and Land Use & Zoning for Alabama on
Q: Does a HOA have the right to decide if I extend my driveway or not?

I live in a neighborhood with a HOA. My house is on a culdesac with an empty lot next to us (the empty lot has been deemed not build-able). I want to extend my driveway about two-feet towards the empty lot, but still on my property.

Samuel G McKerall
Samuel G McKerall
answered on May 2, 2018

That's a question that can't be answered without looking the HOA's official documents, any subdivision regulations that apply and any local city, town or county ordinances that apply. Here's a short un-researched educated guess (that may or may not be correct): If none of the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law, Land Use & Zoning and Real Estate Law for Alabama on
Q: My husband and I built our house from scratch on his parents land. How can we show its in our name to places?

Title Deed, House or ownership?

Barbara H. Agricola
Barbara H. Agricola
answered on Mar 13, 2018

you can provide the deed which shows your ownership of the property. if the parents gifted you the land for you to build your house on it, then it needs to be recorded under your name in the probate court in the county where the property is located.

1 Answer | Asked in Construction Law for Alabama on
Q: My husband bought our house from a man who bought it as a foreclosure. Since we moved in, we have noticed walls that are

off in measurement. We have also had a water leak in the wall and the plumber believes it is due to improper installation and building by the original home builder. Do we have any legal recourse?

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Sep 16, 2014

Was it a new house or a used house? That's the first question to answer. If it is not a new house, then there is no warranty on the house -- unless there is some separate contract of insurance for that. If you asked specifically about the plumbing and the owner lied to you when he knew there... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.