Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Admiralty / Maritime Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in International Law and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Q: Where can I find a map of international waters of Asia that is acceptable to the IRS or courts?

For expatriate crew members working in an airplane or ship in a Foreign Country, part of the income made there can be counted as an exclusion for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE). However, when a crew member is performing their services over international waters, all the income made there... Read more »

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Feb 9, 2019

You could contact the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to inquire if they know who performs the equivalent of their services in Asian countries. The charts I use identify the National Ocean Service Coast Survey as a reference (with additional inputs from the Army Corps of Engineers... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury and Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Q: Who would take a case re: suing Port Hueneme Harbor Patrol for sinking my commercial vessel while under their control?

Vessel was impounded for no insurance. While in their slip, in front of their patrol window my vessel sunk due to their negligence. I was not allowed to maintain my vessel or check on it. I have voicemails, emails, and phone conversation recorded as proof of their fault.

William John Light
William John Light
answered on Oct 3, 2018

You will have to file a Tort Claim with the County of Ventura with 6 months of the date of the loss. After that, your claim may be governed by the Jones Act (not sure about that), which requires a specialty attorney. Do a computer search for Jones Act attorneys in Ventura and you will be guided... Read more »

View More Answers

Q: Can a credit dispute halt an ongoing suit in court ?

Being sued by collecter can I dispute credit reports and will that stop the collector allowing me to get case dismissed since they cannot continue and there’s time limits

William John Light
William John Light
answered on May 21, 2018

This mostly unintelligible. You can dispute a debt in a collection matter, if that is what you are asking. Don't see how a credit report pertains to that.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Admiralty / Maritime for California on
Q: Which Agency can determine Jurisdiction over the federal Anchorage at Richardson Bay, part of San francisco Bay?

The US Coast Guard has "delegated" it's authority to regulate anchoring and mooring in the "Federal Anchorage" to BCDC, which "delegated" that responsibility to the "RBRA" (Richardson Bay Regional Authority). Now the City of Sausalito is claiming to... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
answered on Apr 18, 2017

If the federal and state powers have delegated the powers to localities, then the city may be within its rights to legislate in this way if it serves a legitimate governmental purpose (i.e., the rational basis test). More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Admiralty / Maritime, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for California on
Q: Is it constitutional, legal, or lawful, 4 new legislation 2Exclude a certain class of individuals, even if ex post fac

California's newly adopted Proposition 57 Excludes Sex Registrants from benefiting from the provisions of this bill. I have had to register since 1981 on a single sex related case. A case that I've served the time on, and discharged. I am now currently serving a 25-life sentence on a... Read more »

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
answered on Jan 25, 2017

You're understanding of ex post facto law may be mistaken. Discuss your case with a criminal appeals attorney. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me, my credentials, awards, honors, testimonials, and media appearances/ publications on my... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.