Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
California Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law for California on
Q: How can I get H1B stamp in my passport if I'm not allowed to go back to my country due to a pending asylum process?

stamp in my passport, the Change of status was approved (From an F-1 visa) and everything looks good. I'm also waiting for a decision on my Asylum application (immigrant visa). Waiting for the last interview.

The company that I work for requires some international travel and there is... Read more »

Alexander Ivakhnenko
Alexander Ivakhnenko answered on Jan 26, 2022

Leaving the United States with a pending asylum status will place that pending case in jeopardy. Also, even with an H1B visa the pending asylum case will trigger a dual immigrant intent. A foreign travel is not recommended.

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for California on
Q: Currently in a domestic partnership, however I am still using my ex husband’s name. How do i use my partner’s instead

The goal is to use my partner’s last name. And can we turn or domestic partnership into a marriage.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Real estate seller/owner financing, can you add any terms you want?

Can you have unusual terms in a promissory note such as 50-year-length amortization (most common being 30 years)? Are there any legal requirements around the terms of the promissory note or they can be creative as long as both parties agree to it?

James A. Greer
James A. Greer answered on Jan 26, 2022

Dear PROMISSORY NOTE drafter: There are no required terms for a lawful promissory note, per se. There are, however, terms that would be advisable to include in EVERY promissory note.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: can commercial landlord file lawsuit for a judgment for money owned? its not considered intimidation and harassment?

business exist for 16 years at the same location. we behind 3 month and continue making payments. Landlord treating to file a law suit for a personal judgment. Personal Credit will be ruined. Specially now / Covid -19, California.

James A. Greer
James A. Greer answered on Jan 25, 2022

Dear Commercial Tenant: You asked if a Commercial Landlord can pursue recovery when a Commercial Tenant is "behind three months" on rent. The answer is that irrespective of commercial setting or residential setting, a Landlord may pursue recovery for back rent (including a lawsuit if... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Q: An ex customer of mine pretended to be me and my company, what kind of lawyer do I need?

An ex customer of mine pretended online to be me and my company. She contacted at least 4 of the businesses that I purchase from. She requested payment invoices, prices and sensitive information about my company and business. I am in the hydroponic business - very comparative. Distributors, good... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in DUI / DWI for California on
Q: My boyfriend hadn’t paid his restitution in 6 months. He paid it all today. Will the judge drop the warrant?

He has never violated his probation. Has never missed a court date. Paid all his other court fees. Done his community service and dui programs. His probation ends in a month or two. He hasn’t had a job in a year and had to borrow money from his mom to pay off the restitution. Do you think the... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: My cousin, living in California, refuses to pay my share of will bequeathed to me by late mother?

He took my share, by devious means, when plots of land in Lebanon were sold in 2019. He has constantly refused to pay the full amount by listing non agreed out of pocket expenses that equal over fifty percent of sum due to me.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Employment Law for California on
Q: Do sick hours roll over into the new year?

I signed a contract I think last year with an updated sick hour policy that said that hours do roll over into the new year and we get 24 hours of sick pay with a max cap of 48. I got sick at the beginning of this year and was told that I don't have any hours yet because the law changed so the... Read more »

Brad S Kane
Brad S Kane answered on Jan 25, 2022

It appears that your employer is violating California law by saying that your accrued sick leave does not roll over in the new year. The law allows no roll over only if you are provided a minimum of 3 days at the start of the new year.

California Labor Code 246(d) provides that:...
Read more »

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Education Law for California on
Q: Can I go and run on my near by school field after school is over? 7 pm to 10 pm is that allowed?
David Luther Woodward
David Luther Woodward answered on Jan 25, 2022

Unfortunately, although this is a legal question, I don't have an answer.

But you can find an answer by contact the owner of the school--be it public or private--and request permission. That will be dispositive of the matter

Good Luck


View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for California on
Q: Can a grown man's mother who doesn't live at the apt have the power shut off w/out residents permission?

A few days ago, my neighbor told me, that his mom said she was going to have him evicted, and the next day, he had an eviction notice on his door. as far as he knows he hasn't done anything wrong, and they didn't give him a reason. Today he tells me that he got a notice from PG&e that... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents for California on
Q: Car switched lanes in front of me with no warning on blinker. Insurance is claiming I'm 50% responsible is that right?
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow answered on Jan 24, 2022

It’s not that easy.

More info needed.

Independent wits?

What does your ins co say?

Call local lawyer for consultation and show him police report

View More Answers

0 Answers | Asked in Civil Rights for California on
Q: I was refused service from 2 Mexican employees at the dollar store . I am white

I was discriminated by dollar store employees

0 Answers | Asked in Adoption for California on
Q: My mom adopted a child 5 years ago and is now un fit to parent So i was wondering if I can try and take custody

Can I try and take custody of my brother even if he's adopted? Do I have legal leg to stand on

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for California on
Q: Ex is trying to sue me for a gift. He scared me into agreeing to pay him back over a text message, will he win in court?

I broke up with a boyfriend and he sent a demand letter of $10,000k for a gift he gave me with no contract or loan agreement. I did not respond to him right away because I wanted to get away from him. A few weeks later he scared me into thinking I have to pay him or he would ruin my life and sue me... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law for California on
Q: Prepaid for 30 personal training sessions at a gym, used 11, then moved out of area. They won’t refund remainder.

Am I legally allowed a refund of services even though it’s past their “5 day refund” timeline for full refund? I did sign their contract and whatnot but at this point, it’s services not received for money spent. Am I entitled to a refund?

Scott Richard Kaufman
Scott Richard Kaufman answered on Jan 24, 2022

I've seen this before can't remember exactly when/where but, almost all legit gym contracts have a clause in them about moving out of the area. The question is how they define out of the area and how you define it. So take a look at your contract for your answer!!

0 Answers | Asked in Business Formation for California on
Q: Can I use a UPS mailbox as my LLC physical address in California?

I am starting an LLC for my design and productivity solutions services. I need a physical address, don't want to use my home address, and am getting mixed messages regarding the use of UPS boxes for LLCs in California.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.