Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Identity Theft legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Connecticut Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Divorce, Banking and Identity Theft for Connecticut on
Q: Is it illegal for someone in a divorce to take money from spouses personal checking account?

Wife pays all household bills. His entire check went into a savings account for the family. He spent all of it on cocaine (35k+). He is using her checking account information to pay his personal credit card and cell phone bills etc. She has emailed and texted him explicitly saying that he... View More

Joseph Maya
Joseph Maya pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Mar 26, 2021

I am sorry to hear about this situation. To fully address the legal questions regarding the wife's bank account, you will probably need to hire a lawyer licensed to practice in Connecticut. I wish you the best of luck in the resolution of the situation.

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Connecticut on
Q: I have had fraud committed against me

Someone stole my debit card and I know the perpetrator and want to know about pressing charges

William Jaksa
William Jaksa
answered on Sep 11, 2019

You can start by filing a complainant with the bank that issued the debit card; then calling the local police agency and advise them, OR in Connecticut, you can file a report with the Attorney General - Office of the Consumer Fraud Protection at 860-808-5318.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Civil Litigation, Federal Crimes and Identity Theft for Connecticut on
Q: Hello...I have a question regarding bank / mortgage fraud.

Hello...In 2008 I found out my wife was cheating on me. We stayed together for the sake of our newborn baby girl. Fast forward to about a month ago. I found out that she and the guy she was with remortgaged our home for $160,000. She gave him all my info and he posed as me when they went for the... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jul 22, 2019

If the fraudulent mortgage was created sometime after July 2009 then the statute may not have run yet. Find out fast.

Another way to get around the statute is to alleged exactly what you said here: That you did not know about the fraud until recently; in most states fraud statutes do not...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law, Identity Theft and White Collar Crime for Connecticut on
Q: The IRS says that I received $29,000 and taxed me for it. I never received this money, what to do?

The IRS transcripts say that a fund in my name was sold from a Fidelity account. I have never had an account of any sort with Fidelity or any financial company at all. I was given the name and address of the seller. This action seems like fraud perpetrated as a Trust. How do I get a copy of the... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 3, 2019

Since the IRS rarely makes mistakes of this size (trust me), you are advised to consult an experienced lawyer to help you find out what happened and then to advise you what to do about it. In today's world of high-tech communication-- and rampant bank fraud-- you do not need a Connecticut tax... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.