Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Kansas Child Support Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Kansas on
Q: If filed custody in a different state first, with Baby in my custody, and Dad decided to file emergency custody

Who normally wins? Even if Baby is in my custody and not his, but I really did file first and I just don’t know what’s gonna happen next. I have proof of him being abusive I have proof he’s not a good person to care of child. But I really need answers so I can stop stressing over this because... View More

0 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Kansas on
Q: If I am the one filing for child support, do I need to get my own attorney separately from the one appointed by CSS?

I just received my hearing notice in the mail with the motion to establish child support and the hearing date. Is the state appointed lawyer that’s working with the Child Support Services, working in my interest as well? Or would I also need to get one? Again this is only for child support from... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Kansas on
Q: If my ex moves to Arkansas where I live, shouldn’t the support order end for Missouri?

My ex girlfriend filed for support in Missouri. Before the case was ordered, she moved here to Arkansas so my son could be closer to me. Shouldn’t that end the support order in Missouri?

John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
answered on Feb 5, 2023

No. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act, if Missouri had jurisdiction when the case began, it continues to have jurisdiction until a final order is entered.

Once a final order is entered, under the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the US Constitution, any other state must give...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Kansas on
Q: My now 20 year old has moved in and out the last few years and I am still getting child support

She broke her pelvis at 17, it made school hard to finish and she did homebound school. Until I woke up one day and she left. She has been back and forth. I have 2 other kids on the order, and I had read it wouldn't change the amount and we even went through modification and he did not object... View More

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
answered on Jan 28, 2021

You likely won't get in trouble for the time that she was gone if the non-custodial parent was making voluntary payments. I would need to know the ages of the other two children to determine whether father's attempt to terminate support is valid. I would recommend getting an attorney to... View More

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support for Kansas on
Q: if my ex continued to get child support(taken out of my paycheck) even though kids live with me. she have to pay it bac

We had a hearing with state of mo this morning(over phone). just wondering what my chances are of getting some of money back are or if I will need lawyer?

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
answered on Jan 28, 2021

I would recommend getting a lawyer. You would have a good case for reimbursement or abatement of your child support obligations since your payments are voluntary. At a minimum, it would be credit toward future child support payments.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Kansas on
Q: Can my boyfriends child support be lowered since he now has had a second child?

He pays over a thousand dollars a month for his ten year old son from a previous marriage, but we just had a daughter together. Can it be lowered?

Caroline Bundy
Caroline Bundy
answered on Jan 28, 2021

Child support calculations do not account for subsequent children had, but it might be wise for him nonetheless to seek a modification of his child support order since that sounds like a high child support amount for one child.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Kansas on
Q: Is it okIf a non custodial parent has proof for them to pay other parent directly owed child support and they reject it?

I have emails, mail sent to me from modification of me having to pay child support was dropped but they told me i had to pay him directly what i owe and he's sent back almost every payment, stating he can't accept it unless it's coming to me from the state not myself. I have kept all... View More

Marilyn  Johnson
Marilyn Johnson
answered on Mar 16, 2020

You should make the payments to the State Disbursement Unit. You then have proof of the payments and do not create Extra, unnecessary issues.

0 Answers | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Kansas on
Q: My daughter's mother has not paid child support in 10 months.

Over the last 3 years, I may have seen $500 dollars from her. (She is supposed to pay $208 a month) She won't keep a job, and I'm not sure what we can do legally.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.