Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Social Security Questions & Answers
Q: I am currently in the middle of a SSA reconsideration that has been going on since February 7. On May 4 , I had a stroke

This led to a diagnosis of Severe Aortic Stenosis, covered by compassionate allowance of disability. I was given about a year" give or take a few months" without two life- saving surgeries. My disability caseworker was notified immediately after diagnosis. 6 weeks later, I find she never... Read more »

Andrew Charles Burrell
Andrew Charles Burrell
answered on Jun 27, 2022

I am sorry for your issues and the delay in answers, however it is not uncommon in the social security field for a reconsideration to remain pending for 8 to 10 weeks. You should have access to your file online that can advise you where the reconsideration stands. If that is denied, then you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Mississippi on
Q: Can SSDI or a vehicle be used to pay a judgement?

I am on disability and on Monday I had a judgement put against me for a credit card. The amount is under $3000. I have a 2010 Chrysler and a joint bank account with my husband. Can they place the judgement against the bank and make me sell my car?

Brad A. Thomas
Brad A. Thomas
answered on Dec 4, 2020

Private creditors are not allowed to levy your SSDI benefits to pay back your debt. The exception to this is if you owe federal debt to the IRS, child support, alimony, federal student loans, or court ordered victims restitution. SSI benefits cannot be levied or garnished by anyone. The second... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Mississippi on
Q: I am a recent widow age 53. My husband was 58 when he passed away. We have an adult son age 28 who is autistic.

Our son draws ssi check for his disability. I have been in the home taking care of him since he was 3 years old. Can i draw my husbands social security now that he is gone?

Susan Michele Schaefer
Susan Michele Schaefer
answered on Aug 16, 2020

If your late husband worked long enough to be insured, you, as a widow, can receive benefits from your late husband's Social Security at full retirement age for survivors or reduced benefits as early as age 60. You may begin receiving benefits based on your husband's Social Security as... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Probate and Social Security for Mississippi on
Q: I have a step sister who has my father's power of attorney and he has passed away. She is saying she is also incharge of

his estate. I have never seen his will or anything. She claims he has a lot of debt. She is wanting my social security # because she cashed his check for December the month he died. She states she needs that so they can take the funds out of the estate. Thank You Annette

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon
answered on Jan 12, 2020

The only way that she can legitimately be put in charge of the estate is if she already filed the paperwork with a chancery court and the court appointed her as the executrix over your father's estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Social Security for Mississippi on
Q: I need help finding a pro bono attorney to help me with starting a case against Mississippi CPS for fraud.

i just recently got out of CPS after being for 6 years, without my permission they have lied to me and taken money out of an account my dad had left for me for 6 years straight paying for things that the government should have, as they do with every other child in custody. So it does not feel right... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on May 1, 2019

'Contact the legal services/legal aid in your area for starters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.