Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Adoption Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Adoption for Nebraska on
Q: I was adopted and im 18. My parents kicked me out and threw away all of my belongings. Can I take it to court?

I was adopted back in 2016 of the start of the year. I am 18 now and was kicked out of my home for “not doing what’s best for me” when I had job interviews scheduled they refused to take me. I have been asking them nicely for my belongings and I learned from my little sister who lives in that... Read more »

Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Oct 19, 2021

The legal age of majority is 19 years old in Nebraska, not 18 years old, and legally your parents are still responsible for you. Start with the child abuse hotline and see if NDHHS can suggest some resources for you. There is likely not a lot of recourse for your personal property unless it was... Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Nebraska on
Q: How can my partner get partial custody or temporary guardianship of my child from previous relationship?

Also will it affect the child support pending?

However, my partner have been in my childs life since she was 1.5 years old and is the father figure since. And my ex has not had any contact with myself or my child since Feb 2018. As well my ex lives in another state.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Dec 1, 2020

It depends on a lot of factors. A parent's rights are superior to those of a non-parent. The Court can grant a non-parent custody or visitation rights in limited circumstances. These are generally through a guardianship action when a parent is unfit or a request for in loco parentis... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Adoption for Nebraska on
Q: I shoplifted and they won’t let us pay they sent us a letter using section 43-247.1 and 43-3001 what does that mean ?

I’m adopted and I do have some mental illness such as bipolar but we’re getting me meds

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 27, 2020

Are you saying that you were allegedly shoplifting and you would prefer just to pay a fine rather than go to court? Generally, you are required to appear in court when charged with shoplifting. You will want to retain an attorney prior to your first hearing or appear at the hearing and request a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: I’ve taken care of my boyfriends daughter for 4 years after can I gain custody if we break up ?

My boyfriends daughter moved in with us 2 weeks before we gave birth to our son, because her mother was sent to prison. Her mother lost all rights due to lack of visitation leaving him with full custody. I have been a supplement mother to her since she was 4 years old ( she’s now 8 about to turn... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 27, 2020

Generally for a non-parent to gain custody of a child, the person has to show that not only that they are the real or better parent but that the legal parent is unfit. A parent's rights are protected by the Constitution and parental unfitness is a high standard. If the biological parents... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Nebraska on
Q: Child Support Terminated June 9,2011 DHHS Didnt recognize it till 7-15-2020. Signed rights over, Adoption was final .

State never bothered to see if Adoption was final before Divorce of Custodial parent and Adoptee. $50 A month From June 2011 - July 2020 = State owes me correct? I was in contempt three times and served over 6 months in jail two of the three times, the 1st time I payed over $2500 To be released,... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 8, 2020

The burden is technically on the parent whose rights were terminated to file the motion to terminate child support. That being said, if the State received the money due to a child support assignment due to some type of public assistance, you may have a right to have it reimbursed. If the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: How hard is it to adopt my sisters children living in different states?

My sister reached out to me about adopting her two children. She is unfit to care for them no job, different homes, alcohol abuse, and has been sexual abuse from one father. He has a restrainging order against his child. The other childs father wants nothing to do with him niether father pays child... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 4, 2020

If there is no involvement from child protective services or a similar organization and no one is objecting to the adoption, then it is generally just a matter of completing the paperwork and the formalities for the adoption to go through.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Nebraska on
Q: my cousin give me her baby and we type a paper saying that I have temp custody of her .what can I do ? to keep her
Vanessa Jean Gorden
Vanessa Jean Gorden answered on Jun 4, 2020

First, a typed paper alone is not enough for delegated parental authority unless it is notarized and uses this form:

Second, if the parent revokes the Temporary Delegation at any time, it is...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption and Family Law for Nebraska on
Q: Complaint For paternity within 4 years after the child is born. Does this apply to father who didn’t know about child?

Mother is trying to get child adopted by her current husband. Would the four year rule still apply if the father is not aware that a child was born.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Dec 18, 2019

The four year statute of limitations does not have an exception for a father not knowing about the child. That being said, there are a number of ways to successfully get around the four year statute of limitations depending on your circumstances. The most common is to request the State to file an... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Adoption, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Nebraska on
Q: while I was in jail my 2 kids where placed with my mother by the state. my mother and I are not on good

terms, I've tried many times to contact her, she wont even respond. I dont know anything about what the state has disided, I'd like to know what happened with the legal rights of kids, I'd like to get it on paper what the court desided but not sure how to.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jul 5, 2018

If you know what county the action was in, you can likely found out the court case number and what the final order was.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption for Nebraska on
Q: Can my 18 year old daughter be adopted by her step father? She has been asking for a few years.

Bio dad has not attempted to see her in over 5 years. Blocked her on social media. When she did try to ask him to allow it, he refused. He does pay his $375 a month but that's about all. She has a close relationship with her step father. She wants that stability. Because she's 18, can... Read more »

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Jul 27, 2017

In Nebraska a child is not an adult until the age of 19, but that may work to your advantage if you act prior to her becoming an adult. Get in touch with a good lawyer here on Justia and they should be able to help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Adoption, Family Law and Child Support for Nebraska on
Q: My Son is 2b adopted by his SF. Got paper 2 sign in mail. Signing away rights is all thats mentioned? Still pay CS?

Since the papers only included my rights and mentioned nothing about my parental responsibilities in the paperwork does that mean I will still be responsible to pay future child support even after he is adopted? What happens to any back child support?

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Apr 25, 2017

You will have to pay child support until the adoption is completed. You may also have to pay a $65 fee plus pay for service to get the CS stopped. You will continue to owe the back child support. My suggestion is you work with an attorney to help you and negotiate the terms so some of the prior... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.