Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oregon Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: how much money can I legally without declaring bring back to the usa from Europe
Deron Edward Smallcomb
Deron Edward Smallcomb answered on Feb 7, 2019

You may bring up to $10,000 in currency, coin and specific monetary instruments without reporting it to customs.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Disabled & recieved a 1099, do I need to file

I have not been required to file taxes on my SDDI, but I did a little work in December & have recieved a 1099 in the amount of $620 do I need to file taxes on that?

Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on Jan 31, 2018

Because your self-employment earnings are more than $400, you will need to file a tax return for the year. You may have to pay some self-employment taxes when you file your return if you are not eligible for credits that could offset the taxes owed.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Divorce and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: My husband and I have been separated for a yr and I have the kids. Can I file married filing sep. And claim the kids

We are in the process of divorce. And he abandoned me and the kids has not been part of their life for a year

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Jan 15, 2018

Is this a question about your how to file your tax return? Assuming it is, the courts generally prefer that a couple that haven't gotten divorced yet look at the way to save the most taxes. You and your husband should agree to have an accountant or CPA prepare your return both ways - married... Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: I did my sons taxes, he was audited I didn't handle it correctly, can it be fixed?

Filed on software on phone it told me he was head of household (not single) , claimed niece nephew, permission granted by sister, with whom he lived. first owed $2000ish now over$7000,threatening to take his possessions

Stanley H Block
Stanley H Block answered on Nov 16, 2017

If you disagree with the results of the audit you may be able to file an audit reconsideration.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Are damages awrded in a settlement for unpaid wages garnishable/taxable?
Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Sep 30, 2017

Potentially. Taxable as income, almost always and often they are run through as payroll and subject to withholding. Garnishment if the person paying knows it is to be garnished.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Are there any lawyers in Oregon who postulate Pete Hendrickson's "Cracking the Code" view on Income Taxes?

Secondarily, have any lawyers successfully handled a case involving a "Cracking the Code" position?

Matthew M Montoya
Matthew M Montoya answered on Mar 30, 2017

A competent lawyer, accountant, or tax preparer will not take that position. It is considered a "tax protester position" and is considered by courts to be a frivolous position to take. Making an argument like that will land you in trouble with the IRS and possibly the Department of... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Hi I wanted to see if you can give me some free legal advice about my taxs
Michelle D. Wynn
Michelle D. Wynn answered on Mar 2, 2017

If you are able to ask your question without incriminating yourself in this Q&A forum, you might have a better chance by actually asking the question directly in this forum.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: My mother put her children's names on the deed to her house 20 years ago, thinking it would make passing it on to

us easier when she died. But she ended up having to move into semi-assisted living, and now we are looking at huge capital gains taxes when we sell. She will need all the money for her housing, so is there any way to take our names back off the deed so she can keep all the money?

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Feb 27, 2017

You should contact an attorney with experience in estate planning. Your mother may be eligible for Medicaid if she hasn't owned the home for 20 years. Capital gains taxes can be reduced if the home is one's primary residence. Before transferring the home back into your mother's... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: I have joint custody and 50/50 time of my son. My ex claimed him on taxes when it was my turn. What can I do?

We had a verbal agreement that we would trade every other year to claim him, but now she decided to claim him before I could. What can I do if anything to get this reversed?

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei answered on Feb 27, 2017

You can do nothing or you can claim your child as a dependent for tax purposes. If you claim him as a dependent, the IRS will audit you and your former spouse. You will need to prove to the IRS that your child resided with you at least 50% of the year and that you paid more than 50% of his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation, Family Law and Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: oregon - i am poor. where can i file a formal complaint about a Judge that made an unfair decision against me?

this judge made crazy unfair decision against me and any normal person would be blown away at the judge's decision. There was a typo or Xspouse snuck in decree he gets 2015 exemptions for kids when I had the kids entire 2015. I took 2015 anyways on my taxes. Stupid Judge found me in... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 8, 2016

Actually, there is a form you can sign that will give your spouse the dependency exemption for any given year, if other requirements are met. (There is also a form that does a complete transfer of all future exemptions so be careful you don't sign that one.) Normally the IRS rule is that the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Tax Law and Civil Litigation for Oregon on
Q: oregon - just found in contempt this can i reverse judge's decision without filing an money.

decree had typo or evil X snuck in he gets 2015 exemptions for kids but i took 2015 exemptions on my taxes since i had kids entire year and the federal irs law said i could and IRS was never going to allow X to take it since he didn't have kids in X filed contempt and stupid judge... Read more »

Joanne Reisman
Joanne Reisman answered on Oct 8, 2016

This has already been asked and answered:

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: I settled law suit for disability accommodation. Received accommodation + $20,000 (minus lawyer costs). is it taxable?

My only source of income is my Social Security of $12036/yr. My lawyer said the money was for pain and suffering.

Mr. Michael O. Stevens
Mr. Michael O. Stevens answered on Feb 26, 2016

Assuming your lawyer was correct that it was for pain and suffering, then it is not taxable income. See the IRS' info on this:

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: do i have to pay taxes for what i had earned before i become a permanent resident of the states?

paying taxes for assets before i become a US resident.

Camlinh Nguyen Rogers
Camlinh Nguyen Rogers answered on Apr 5, 2015

The stated facts are insufficient to answer your question. Complete contact form at for primary consultation. Good luck.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Oregon on
Q: Section 6662 penalty when no tax was underpaid.

In 2003, I finalized and adoption and have been carrying the adoption tax credit forward since then. On my 2010 tax return which I prepared myself with TurboTax, TurboTax said that I could request a refund from the IRS for the entire remainder of the credit carried forward, so I did for roughly... Read more »

Christopher M. Larson
Christopher M. Larson answered on Dec 27, 2011

I am not entirely sure on the facts. But if the amount created no tax liability, it would not be correct to have a corresponding penalty with interest. It all depends on when it was "paid." If they had the money they were owed at the time the return was filed, you should not owe any... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.