Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Estate Planning Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Estate Planning and Probate for Washington on
Q: my mother passed away and left her home I have two other brothers and you didn't want the house so they gave they signed

Quick Deeds so I can file the house into my name but there's still a mortgage how do I remove the executor off of the estate without going through probate so I can assume the loan

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi
answered on Mar 10, 2017

I think you mean they signed 'quit claim' deeds. Regardless, if the house was left in a will or otherwise did not pass directly to you, you will need to have the executor / personal representative assign the house (and the mortgage) to you (or to all the siblings -- however the will is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: How can I make sure that if I die that my husband will have custody of my children?

They are not biologically his. But he has been their "dad" their whole lives. Power of attorney work?

Vincent J. Bernabei
Vincent J. Bernabei
answered on Dec 2, 2016

The power of attorney ceases to be effective upon your death, so that won't work. The foolproof way is to have your spouse adopt the children. If that is not possible, you should designate your spouse as the children's guardian in your will, and express your preference that they... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Consumer Law and Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: Is it possible to attain multiple EINs for one trust ?

A prospective bank for the funds insures accounts up to $250,000 per EIN. Would it be possible to obtain multiple EINs in order to gain more insurance for the trust?

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
answered on Jul 6, 2016

Probably not for that reason.

The IRS says:

You will be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.

* One person is the grantor/maker of many trusts.

* A trust changes to an estate.

* A living or intervivos trust...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning for Washington on
Q: Signing legal documents in the State of Virginia

My brother, sister, and I have been named co-executors for my Mother's estate. My Mother lived in the State of Virginia. I live in the State of Washington. Will I need to travel to Virginia to sign documents in person?

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Oct 28, 2015

No. Mail ( or FedEx, UPS, etc.) is available between Washington State and Virginia.

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: In Washington State can a 16 year old live on their own if both parents pass away? (We are working on our will)

We'd prefer not to set up guardianship for our 16 year old since there is no one suitable to take her. We have a trust set up in our will with an executor to handle her finances from our estate.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
answered on Sep 8, 2015

Probably not. Go to see an attorney about this for the specific legal advice you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.