Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Michigan Civil Rights Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: I am under the age of 18 and I have a driver's permit but not a Driver's License can I purchase a car at a Dealership?

I have the money to buy the car. ALSO How would I get my License Plate?

Mark Bredow
Mark Bredow answered on Aug 22, 2018

it's unlikely that a car dealer will sell to you alone, without an adult, because minors may void a contract until their 18th birthday. But, if they do, the dealer will apply for the plate for you. You are not required to be a licensed driver to purchase a car, but you have to be licensed to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Civil Rights and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: If my dog is of leash and she approaches a person but does not touch or hurt them or their dog. Can they call the police

Can I get in trouble

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 18, 2018

Anyone can call the police. I think you left out facts like possibly the dog was snarling and acting in a way that seemed like it would attack.

Does "is of leash" mean "is off leash"?

If so many laws exist that dogs are required to be on a leash

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law, Criminal Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: How can this happen?? 26 yr old husband arrested on juvenile warrant

I'm going to put as much detail here as possible my 26 year old husband was arrested on a juvenile contempt warrant last night in St Clair county Michigan. We are so confused on what is going on and the police won't tell us anything except that the warrant is from 2012, but he has been in jail... Read more »

Jasmine D. Rippy
Jasmine D. Rippy answered on Aug 8, 2018

People are charged with contempt when they fail to comply with a court order. The court can give you info on exactly why he’s being charged with contempt.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: Can a city ordinance officer walk on my lawn and look over my privacy fence into the back yard to give me tickets?

Ordinance officer has been consistently giving us tickets for any little thing he can find. When other homes in the area are in worse condition with no ticketing. He recently entered my yard, looked over the fence, and when I came out to see who was walking around my home, he began acting very... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Aug 7, 2018

Your first call should be to the city's housing or code enforcement office, or whatever it's called where you live. Generally, I think a court would determine this officer's actions permissible. I doubt you'll get out of all this with a bare claim that he's trespassing.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: Can a officer legally pull me over without reason?

I was pulled over with out reason, my car was searched without my consent or probable cause, also I was arrested without being read my rights.

Jasmine D. Rippy
Jasmine D. Rippy answered on Jul 26, 2018

No, officers must have reasonable suspicion of criminal activity to pull you over. If you feel that your constitutional rights have been violated by the police, you should have an attorney represent you. If you can’t afford one, you can request a court appointed attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Civil Rights and Criminal Law for Michigan on
Q: In Michigan, due to a traffic violation in a vehicle, does the passenger also have to give I.d?

Also, what can you do if an officer pulls you over for no reason at all?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Feb 15, 2018

On the street with the police is not the place to make these sort of challenges. Generally, you have a legal obligation to stop and identify yourself at an officer's request - this includes passengers in a vehicle. However, unless the passenger has active warrants or is otherwise arrestable, that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Probate for Michigan on
Q: how can I prove a house isn't being rented out while it is still in probate court.

my mother passed away almost a year ago and she left the house to me. I'm now currently living inside the house that she left me. The city wants me to prove that the house is not being rented out so they don't charge me more for property taxs. This is my down fall come into place and I need help... Read more »

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Jan 11, 2018

There is no quick solution here. You will need to open a probate estate as soon as you can. Until that happens, and concludes, you are renting the house from your mother's estate.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: How many years do you have to be separated to be considered Divorced in MI
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Dec 29, 2017

If you are legally married (i.e. have a certificate of marriage on file with the state), then you are married until you are divorced. You may live apart forever, but you'll still be legally married.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: If you lure the police or public official into arresting you for disturbing the peace and disorderly person can you sue

Not sure what a better word is other than lure, perhaps planned. If you planned or lured the police or public official into having you arrested or arresting you, can you later sue them?

Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers answered on Oct 23, 2017

What would be your basis for a lawsuit? If you were in fact creating a disturbance, a lawsuit premised on the arrest itself is unlikely to work. If your intention is to get yourself arrested to prove some sort of bad motive (e.g. that said police or public official treats some people differently... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Foreclosure, Real Estate Law, Tax Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: The county made a mistake and misapplied my tax payment and I lost my home. Was the right to pay my tax violated?

By the time I found out the mistake was made the appeal window was closed. I owned 2 properties and the tax was put onto my other property that was not in jeopardy.

David Soble
David Soble answered on Oct 6, 2017

So I have handled these matters before. You will need to provide documentation to support your statements. In a situation like this, a real estate attorney needs to review your documents and can then give you direction.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Michigan on
Q: I have lived with my son's father for 24 years. Yesterday he served me with an eviction notice.

He has met someone else. Our home is in his name. We are from Michigan.

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Jun 13, 2017

I am sorry to hear about your situation, but if the home is in his name alone and you have no claim to the equity in it, he probably CAN evict you. You should consult with a local divorce/domestic law attorney to see if there may be more you could do, but this goes WELL beyond something that can be... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Michigan on
Q: I have a 12 year old who is cognitive impaired who is being treated unfairly by the principal,staff

How can I build a case against the Detroit public school system regarding my son. He is cognitive impaired (mentally disabled) since he was under 5. He was sent home with black eyes ,bruised face, with feces still on him etc I have pictures emails where I met with people from department of... Read more »

Kevin Shields
Kevin Shields answered on Mar 30, 2017

You need to contact a special education attorney in Detroit. I can not recommend one but you can search online for a number of options. Your child has a right to an appropriate education. It does not sound like the school is living up to that promise. Students with disabilities are protected under... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Health Care Law for Michigan on
Q: Is the due process clause absolute?
Glenn B. Manishin
Glenn B. Manishin answered on Feb 17, 2017

Due process requires at a minimum notice and an opportunity to be heard before the government deprives a person of life, liberty or property, but otherwise can vary with the circumstances.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Civil Rights for Michigan on
Q: We own a home on a shared lane. The other individuals whom use shared lane do NOTHING but tear up driveway. Our rights?

They harass us continuosly verbally and physically. We have called police numerous times and they do nothing! What can we do?

Kenneth V Zichi
Kenneth V Zichi answered on Feb 6, 2017

Easements, private roads and shared driveways are a constant source of conflict and require some steady negotiation and cooperation on both sides! This is often problematic as there is often a feeling of 'this is my land you can't tell me what to do' going on regardless of the facts.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Gov & Administrative Law, Internet Law and Personal Injury for Michigan on
Q: Is it illegal to record video in the Department Motor Vehicles without permission?

Is it illegal to record video in the Department of Motor Vehicles without permission?

Is it also illegal to publically post said video (if taken without permission) and make available on social media (facebook, youtube) without permission?

Michigan - Jackson - DMV

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 15, 2016

First, may be illegal under their rules--usually is. Second you are looking for trouble with a reposting.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.