Colorado Legal Malpractice Questions & Answers

Q: Can my son get a review if his attorney made him take a plea that was vacated right after for 35 c inafective assistance

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 12, 2019
Mr. H. Michael Steinberg's answer
I am unclear on what you mean by review. Please clarify your wants and expectations. Not enough facts.

Q: I need clarification. My atty filed a bankruptcy appeal and says she's working pro bono and that I am confused.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Answered on May 6, 2018
Kevin Scott Neiman's answer
A good attorney will give his or her preliminary assessment of the case, go over fee arrangements, and discuss with the client whether the case makes sense for the attorney-client team.

You want a lawyer you feel comfortable with. Someone who responds to you with intelligence and compassion. Regardless of where the problems lie, your case is likely resulting in a poor relationship for both of you. Ask for a referral to someone who may be better equipped to handle your case.

Q: If a ex-spouse is receiving free legal help (pro bono) could that be considered as income or in-kind income

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support, Divorce, Family Law and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Answered on Jul 7, 2017
John Hyland Barrett III's answer
Although gifts can be considered income, such as free rent, I do not think probono representation will be counted.

Q: Is it unethical that my own lawyer for my business represented my partners against myself when we had a dispute?

1 Answer | Asked in Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Answered on Feb 8, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
It depends. If the lawyer is representing the business and the business has a claim against you for some business related actions, the representation may be allowed. On the other hand, if there is no clear distinction in who the lawyer was representing, there may be a conflict of interest. Note, the lawyer may have a conflict of interest, but it is possible for the law firm (assuming there are other lawyers) to not have the same conflict. Since this is a highly fact specific analysis, only an...

Q: How can I get them to reverse the order for child support when I've proven n court that I have and always have had my ki

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Support and Legal Malpractice for Colorado on
Answered on Jan 2, 2017
Tristan Kenyon Schultz's answer
I am not sure what you are asking... If you have a ruling that you disagree with you can appeal.

If you resubmit this question with a little more background information, a better answer can be provided.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.