Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Mississippi Gov & Administrative Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Personal Injury, Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Mississippi on
Q: Can a teacher physically restain a student, by forcefully grabbing the student's upper arm (causing bruising)?
William Jaksa
William Jaksa answered on Sep 25, 2019

The not-straight-forward answer is that they shouldn't ever... BUT there are circumstances when a teacher or any other adult may be justified in physically restraining a student. A teacher is responsible for the welfare of all the student in their charge. If they used force to prevent an assault or... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law, Gov & Administrative Law and Public Benefits for Mississippi on
Q: How do I appeal a court case?

The judge did not even let me explain my side of the story. He automatically sided with the plaintiff without going over any evidence that I brought to court to present to him. I feel like I was discriminated against, but I have no idea why.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar answered on May 27, 2019

A starting point could be to contact an attorney in Mississippi for a brief consultation to review the decision and the grounds for appeal. As a general matter, keep in mind that the period in which to file appeals is generally short (in the order of days with many matters). Also keep in mind that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Contracts and Real Estate Law for Mississippi on
Q: Does a State maintain sovereignty in the absence of a physical boundary?

The US Supreme Court has consistently held that a State has no sovereignty or jurisdiction beyond the limits of its physical boundary.

The physical boundary of the State of Mississippi was described in the State's Constitution. However this boundary was specifically repealed in 1990.... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on May 10, 2019

Maybe yes, maybe no.......but what is your point in reciting these "facts" about Mississippi?

Q: I am in extreme hardship. I am a victim of administrative crime against me and my family. For 13 yrs now im disabled

Willful neglect to uphold law. Denied equal protection. Refused due process. Harressed.caused heart attack ptsd poverty falsely incarcerated. I have evidence fed. Law says i can be compenstated

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Aug 2, 2018

Your best bet would be to consult with an attorney so that you can go over the details of your case, and assess whether you have a valid claim that could entitle you to compensation.

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Gov & Administrative Law for Mississippi on
Q: Does a county Board of Supervisors(Lamar County, MS) have the right to tell a property owner to clean up their property

If the property has debris, trash, nonrunning equipment and parts, old campers, broken vehicles, etc., can the Supervisors order the clean up of the property of place a fine or tax on the property owner. The property is outside city limits by about 3 miles.

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Jul 18, 2018

Yes. The County Board of Supervisors may follow the statute to mandate that the property be cleaned at the owner's expense, and if the property is not cleaned, then the County can go in and clean the property and bill the owner.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Mississippi on
Q: My brother is locked up in Mississippi for burglary under the 3 strikes rule. Is there anyway to appeal? He's done 18yrs

He was on drugs when the burglaries occurred. How could a man get life in prison for burglary? I need to get my brother out!

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Apr 2, 2018

You will need to consult an attorney. If I am understanding your question correctly, your brother was indicted and sentenced under a particular Mississippi statute, and is what is called an 83-habitual offender, meaning that he has particular felonies in his background which, when combined with his... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Mississippi on
Q: How can a judge recuse him or her self

Under what circumstances can a federal judge recuse one self

Arthur Calderon
Arthur Calderon answered on Mar 19, 2018

Usually there has to be some showing that it would be improper for the judge to hear the case, such as being related to a party, having an ownership interest in a company involved in litigation, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Mississippi on
Q: How many days is the maximum stay in Mississippi before the guest can be consider as a resident?
Bradley M. Glaze
Bradley M. Glaze answered on Apr 26, 2011

There is no maximum or minimum number of days that a guest (person) can stay in Mississippi to be considered a resident. Residency is defined by various Mississippi statutes for different purposes. For example, there are tax statutes that define residency requirements for tax purposes, election... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.