Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Oklahoma Education Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Municipal Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How much would the bong be if the charge was 21 o.s. 649(B) She was charged that for biting a police officer
David A. Cincotta
David A. Cincotta pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 28, 2022

This will depend on where the charge is filed, her criminal history, and possibly other factors.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Tax Law, Banking and Business Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am on a school board for a private school.

Can a parent make a donation to the school (501c3) and then ask for the money back if they move or enroll their child elsewhere?

Charles Watts
Charles Watts
answered on Jan 5, 2022

The parent can ask - but there isn't anything requiring the refund. There is no federal law, and most states classify the donation as a gift and therefore no longer the property of the person giving the donation, and thus not required to be returned. However, if the funds were donated with... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it possible to have my child be exempt from P.E. class?

She is a straight A. student but lacks athletic ability so it causes other kids to not want to include her and get made fun of so she doesnt like school anymore. P.E. class shouldnt cause kids to feel this way. I dont see this class being necessary for her. She is in 5th grade and has loved school... View More

Kimberly Winslow
Kimberly Winslow
answered on Oct 15, 2021

Federal law does not require public schools to provide physical education, but many states do. Below is from 2010, so guidance may have changed.

"Oklahoma mandates at least 60 minutes of physical education per...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Health Care Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How much trouble can a 17 year old girl get from runaway from home in Oklahoma

Let say a 17 year old girl runaway from home cause her home is toxic and she can’t handle everyone around making her feel like the bad guy and that the girl has mental health issues that are being neglected or ignored

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on May 27, 2021

I see that many teenagers describe their home as toxic, not enough freedom, controlling parents, or any one of a long list of other grievances. So, that part is not uncommon.

However, if there legitimately is abuse and/or neglect and this is not just a disgruntled teenager, this should be...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Child Support and Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: is it illegal for a teacher to grip a student hard enough to cause bruises?
Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Nov 7, 2020

As with most all things, this would depend on the specific facts of what happened. This is one of those issues where to get a reliable answer you will need to have a detailed consultation with an attorney. The attorney will want to review all of the facts and also ask questions to get to the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Father does not want to send daughter to school because of mask mandate. Separated but no legal action taken yet.

My still husband just found out that there is a mask mandate at our daughters school. He now refuses to send her to school for religious reasons ("do not fear") and wants her to be home schooled by him. I want her to go to school! I am working 40 hrs/week and can not homeschool her. Since... View More

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Oct 10, 2020

Bottom line: if you cant come to an agreement and you feel strongly enough about going to school you will need to do whatever it takes to hire an attorney so you can seek a court order directing that the child attend school. I wish you the vest of luck with your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Education Law and Gov & Administrative Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can school administrators suspend students from school just from suspicion of drug use?

If a student is called into the principal’s office under suspicion of drug use, can they suspend them, even if there’s no evidence and no proof of possession of drugs?

Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
answered on Feb 11, 2020

It would depend on the code of conduct, or the administrative rules within your school. It is not a criminal action less they intend to charge your child with public intoxication. Without some type direct evidence, I would be troubled by their conclusion, but there may be no recourse without... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Is it illegal in oklahoma to deliberately report a false terroristic threat to a school against another child?
Brian Boeheim
Brian Boeheim
answered on Oct 12, 2019

Because it is a juvenile, the punishment is limited, and if it was just reported to the school and didn't involve police then the criminal statute below might not apply.

Title 21 O.S. 589(A)

It shall be unlawful to willfully, knowingly and without probable cause make a false...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: How do i get my kids back the judge gave her other 30 days to get more evidence against me and they have cameras

We have went to court and the judges granted her another 30 days to come up with evidence against me on medical neglect in education and so far in the 30 day she is took my kids to doctors and now she is not trying to give me my visitation my kids do not wanna be there my oldest daughter has been... View More

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
answered on Apr 13, 2019

Bottom line, you need to hire an attorney to represent you at the next hearing. Your odds of presenting an effective case are much better with an experienced attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: I am a teachers assistant. what can my school district do if i have been charged with a DUI
Frank A. Urbanic
Frank A. Urbanic
answered on Feb 27, 2018

Check the policy of your district.

1 Answer | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law, Civil Rights and Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Can my highschool charge us a one time fee to be drug tested?

I am a highschool student in oklahoma. Our school has instituted a random drug testing program for all students participating in extracurricular activities. But upon turning in our forms consenting to be tested, we were charged a fee, is this legal?

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Nov 30, 2017

Yes, just like a lot of other fees charged in school.

Please visit my website,, and at the bottom of the homepage, "Subscribe" to receive occasional emails on Oklahoma Law, and changes. Thanks, Gary.

2 Answers | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Oklahoma on
Q: oklahoma,guardianship of granson, turning 18, has two years of school left, what r my legally responsabilities. ?

he wants to move out, to a friends, or an apartment, am i legally responsible for him? he still has two years of school left to graduation, he currently is employed. he wants to finish school at this point.

Gary Johnston Dean
Gary Johnston Dean
answered on Apr 15, 2017

Your grandson is now an adult under Oklahoma law, and your legal obligations have ended. All that remain are what you believe are your moral obligations to assist your grandson.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Native American Law, Education Law and Juvenile Law for Oklahoma on
Q: Native American foster children are being homeschooled in Ponotoc county Ok. Is this legal?

Foster children are being homeschooled and church at home. Live very secluded lives.

Robert Donald Gifford II
Robert Donald Gifford II
answered on Mar 24, 2017

To home school children, there must be some form of approval and review. If this is being done without any proper paperwork in place or at least in the process, the children and foster parents could be subjected to truancy laws.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Oklahoma on
Q: If I am an international student do I have to disclose my academic records fully?

I have full privacy rights in Canada and want to use high school marks rather than post secondary marks?

Howard Berkson
Howard Berkson
answered on Dec 8, 2013

It depends on who is asking for those records and why. Generally, a university does not have to admit you unless you provide all the academic information it requests. If you make a false statement on your application, you may be disciplined academically or subject to civil liability.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.