Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Tennessee Tax Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: 2010 earned income credit and child tax credit

In 2009 I filed a tax return I claim both my nephew's who I was supporting I was audited by the IRS it took me three years to resolve the matter in 2010 I filed my return and I claim them both again which was denied I filled out form 8862 and submit it to them I was refund 2009 return and only... Read more »

D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Feb 12, 2019

Refunds are limited to three years from the return filed date or two years from the date paid.

2 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Tax Law and Landlord - Tenant for Tennessee on
Q: Can a leasee in a rent to own agreement be made to pay property taxes?
D. Mathew Blackburn
D. Mathew Blackburn answered on Feb 7, 2019

What does the contract say?

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Bankruptcy and Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: over ten years ago I filed my friend and her daughter on my taxes.She was on disability and her daughter was 13.

They did live with me at the time. the next year i filed my taxes they were red flagged cause they had sent me audit papers but I didn't live at the address anymore. I told them I could send the documents they needed and they said it was too late.Over the years it has reached up to about ten... Read more »

John Martin Hilla
John Martin Hilla answered on Jan 24, 2019

You need to speak privately with a bankruptcy attorney in your area. The discharge of tax debt in bankruptcy is highly complicated and very fact-specific. Yes, it is possible to discharge them, but there are many, many exceptions and the answer for you could differ from tax-year to tax-year. It is... Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: Need help filing Taxes for past 3 years, and best way to get help???

I work for the state of Tennessee and for 5 months no fed taxeswere being held out of my payroll. Due to my deductions being changed in the computer. I was told it was my fault and they weren’t liable. I have not filed taxes in 3 years. I also have had a part time job that has paid pretty well.... Read more »

Eric  Day
Eric Day answered on Aug 27, 2018

We can help you get your taxes filed and deal with some of the penalties depending on your filing history. Just give us a call.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: Starting a business and not sure how to set my taxes. 2 mem LLC. Taxes as partnership or corporation better in Tennesse?

Our base projected income for year 1 is between 270,000 and 400,000

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on May 4, 2018

Depends on how you want to structure your business. Depends on the type of business. There are pros and cons to each. If your projected income is that high for the first year, spend some money up front and hire an attorney to do the business and tax planning for you. That will save you money and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: What can I do if my past employer refuses to send the irs my w2 form?

Past employer refuses to talk to me. I have my last paycheck stub from the past employer. I spoke with the irs today and they still have not received it even tho they requested it. Past employer is in st. Louis, mo

Linda Simmons Campbell
Linda Simmons Campbell answered on Apr 26, 2018

If you have your final paystub and believe that the information is accurate on your paystub, you can use that to file your return. You will need to send a copy of the last paystub to the IRS along with a letter explaining why you are using this to file your return. The IRS will then investigate.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Land Use & Zoning, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: bought a piece of property said it was 16 acres. After closing we got the survey. It was just less than 14 acres?

I feel like they stole from us. It was never mentioned at closing, that it was less. And the only reason we found out , was we asked for the survey. This happened in October 2017 , and now it's March 2018. I want the acres that they took . We need those acres to help with the taxes. and... Read more »

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Mar 23, 2018

Consult with a local attorney. Your purchase and sale agreement will control the rights and obligations of the parties. You may need to file a lawsuit to correct a deed or pursue some other type of relief.

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: I live in Tennessee but work in Kentucky. Can I claim mortgage interest and taxes paid on my Tennessee home on ky taxes
Marjorie A Bristol
Marjorie A Bristol answered on Jan 31, 2018

You should post the question in KY so that someone who is familiar with the state tax law there can answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Probate and Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: My step mom will not let me see the will or give any info. It has not been probated. Do I have a right to see the will?
Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng answered on Dec 11, 2017

This is not a tax question and you don't clearly specify your relationship to the deceased. However, if you are a relative of the deceased, you have a right to be notified of any probate proceedings. If a will is submitted for probate, it becomes a public record amd you can get a copy from the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Family Law and Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: Who can claim 1 year old child on income taxes, who has legal custody, and what rights does the custody parent have?

Never married to child's father. Lives with mother. Father's name on birth certificate. Child support being processed now. No court document or hearing for custody.

Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng answered on Oct 25, 2017

This is a tax question that only the IRS can answer. If there is no child support being paid currently ( you say it is "being processed"?) it seems to me that is would be hard for the father to claim the child as I think you have to be able to demonstrate to the IRS that you are providing... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Tax Law and Child Support for Tennessee on
Q: Is my ex entitled to the child tax credit if he doesn't file taxes? He asks me to pay him and I have in the past.

He doesn't file taxes because he has non taxable income ( va benefit). I claim children every year, I have in the past given him the child credit part because he doesn't file. Is he entitled to it? The court papers just state alternate years

Leonard Robert Grefseng
Leonard Robert Grefseng answered on Apr 28, 2017

The parenting plan forms refer to the deduction for dependents ( not a tax credit). If the signed divorce papers say he gets to claim the deduction in alternate years, then that is what he gets: the dependency deduction (only).

If the papers do not mention a tax credit, then you will need...
Read more »

2 Answers | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: Due to some financial difficulties, I increased my W-4 allowances to 7 (from 2) to have some extra money to get by.

I had read this was okay, but now am seeing otherwise and am afraid I may go to jail. I know I will have a tax bill to pay in April. I make around 75k a year, but only take home around $3400 (normally, $3800 after allowance change) and have a significant amount of debt (not that it matters to the... Read more »

Bennett James Wills
Bennett James Wills answered on Dec 3, 2016

You're not going to go to jail for an unpaid tax bill.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Nursing Home Abuse, Personal Injury and Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: My Brother had filed a lawsuit against several nursing homes he was in for elder abuse, damages against a person. He

died before the lawsuit was settled, and lived in the state of California. I live in Tenn. I was named successor in interest over my brothers Lawsuit. He died on 11/27/2015 while Tn inheritence tax was in effect, The total amount I received was 28658.69. I plan on deducting 4500. for an expense he... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Aug 21, 2016

your lawyer should be able to answer that. The law of the state where the estate is governs. Also note generally the claims of injury cases are not subject to state or federal taxes, and hopefully your lawyer worked the wongful death/survival claims in a way that gives the best bounce. But you... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Tax Law for Tennessee on
Q: I received a settlement for injuries sustained in a accident.Must I pay taxes on it if I paid for the occ/acc policy?
Eric M Wiechert
Eric M Wiechert answered on Dec 6, 2010

For federal income tax purposes - generally compensation for physical injury (noneconomic damages)to a person is not taxable. However, economic damage awards and punitive awards are subject to federal tax.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.