Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Utah Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: how much does it cost for a trial in a divorce case ?
Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Dec 16, 2019

The answer to this question is very fact dependent. The cost of trial will depend largely upon the numbers of exhibits, numbers of witnesses, and issues in your particular case. I recommend talking with attorneys well in advance of trial as you will also need to ensure that pretrial disclosures are... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: What exactly are the alimony requirements or laws in salt lake city Utah?
Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Dec 16, 2019

Alimony is not a black and white area of the law. Alimony is generally based upon the needs of the receiving spouse and the paying spouse's ability to pay. If you are fighting for or against alimony, I recommend having an attorney on your side.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Utah on
Q: I just finalize my divorce and my ex has parent time but I have a protected oder against him with no contact at all.
Lane Wood
Lane Wood answered on Dec 16, 2019

You should contact an experienced attorney about this issue. You will want someone to review both the Decree of Divorce and the Protective Order and advise you on how those 2 orders interact. Without seeing both orders, it is impossible to tell you what you can and cannot do moving forward.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Need to find a family law attorney asap to represent myself in divorce invil ing a child born in the marriage not by hus

Husband and I did not live together between 2006 and 2016 never reconciled and he wants custody of second child not his he ordered child support for but he never paid cuz she's not his kid and claimed her on his taxes four yrs in a row and I want this resolved. Custody returned to her natural... Read more »

Brian Craig
Brian Craig answered on Jul 8, 2019

This sounds like a complicated matter where you need an experienced family law attorney. The best interests of the child test governs child custody matters. You can find lots of family law attorneys here on Justia.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: I need to get a separation and don’t know where to start? Worried about income differences?

My husband has anger issues, pornographery issues w/cross dressing. Is it possible for me to file for a legal separation and somehow demand that he complete therapy before having overnight visits with our kids? Also, since I make more money, do I have to pay him?

T. J. Jesky
T. J. Jesky answered on Sep 24, 2018

Generally speaking, those who choose legal separation instead of divorce is usually based on religious beliefs, a desire to keep the family together legally for the sake of children, or the need for one spouse to keep the health insurance benefits that would be lost with a divorce.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Divorce for Utah on
Q: Can I go to my adjustment of status interview without my wife?

Hello!! I’ve really concerned about a couple things that are going on in my life right now. So, talking to a friend of mine. My concerns came up and he suggested me this place. So, I would love to ask you a couple questions and give you a little idea of what’s going on. Anyways, here is the... Read more »

Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman answered on Apr 28, 2018

Since your wife is sponsoring you for a green card, it is required that both of you attend the interview.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: If my divorce is final and it states that I take back my maiden name can I change my mind and keep my married name?

My ex husband is saying he is going to file an order to show cause if I do not cahange my name. Dose he have grounds to do so ?

William N. Sosis
William N. Sosis answered on Jan 23, 2018

That's ridiculous, unless you're abusing his name by doing something that causes him irreparable harm, orders to show cause are for emergent relief only. He may however file a motion to enforce the judgment. You should contact an attorney for a free consultation.

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Utah on
Q: My boyfriend is finally getting a divorce from his ex does she have a right to say I can’t be around the kids? Legally.

He lives with me and so it is pretty hard for me not to be around them

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Oct 18, 2017

Legally, it will depend on the terms of the court orders. Generally, a former spouse cannot control who the other former spouse allows to be around the children, but it depends on what your boyfriend may agree to as divorce settlement. Unless you are an ax murderer, drug abuser, child abuser,... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Which of the following am I entitled to if I file for divorce?

My husband has been unfaithful during our 5 and a half year marriage, we have one child and I am currently pregnant with number 2. His car is paid off, our 2nd car is a lease under both of our names. He has a house where he is a "co-applicant" but he is on the loan and the title of the... Read more »

Devin W. Quackenbush
Devin W. Quackenbush answered on Jul 10, 2017

You should have a good strategy for your divorce case. Finding the right lawyer for that can be daunting. Most lawyers will allow you to have a free consultation to determine whether they would be a good fit for your case. Feel free to reach out to a lawyer's office to see if they offer a free... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Support for Utah on
Q: My ex owes me over $99,000 in back child support. He lives in Utah and inherited a lot of money. California won't help.

What can I do to get what is owed?

Louis George Fazzi
Louis George Fazzi answered on May 23, 2017

If you have a judgment for the child support in California, you can enforce it in Utah. You will need a Utah attorney to help you collect that debt.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: Who is the petitioner and which case does the courts look at?

Person files for divorce and serves them, spouse after has a lawyer serves him divorce papers under a different case that show filing after. Both cases show different petitioners. Who is the petitioner and who is the defendant as well as which case will the court or judge look at?

Devin W. Quackenbush
Devin W. Quackenbush answered on May 3, 2017

In this situation, the two cases should be consolidated with the court and the party to file first should be the petitioner. A motion to consolidate the cases should be filed in both cases. If you feel like you require additional help with this, you should contact an attorney to help you.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: I'm sure my wife is cheating on me with a past boyfriend. Do I gather more evidence or just begin divorce

I think she has been paying for an apartment for him out of her paycheck as well. He has a criminal record for drugs and I'm worried about her doing drugs with him possibly around our young kids

Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson answered on May 1, 2017

Now days, if you want a divorce, you can get one granted for about anything. If you feel like it isn't working out, you can get one on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. If you are looking to prove she cheated on you, then that would be an at-fault divorce if you want to prove that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: What information do I need to provide the court to discontinue alimony now that I suspect my ex is cohabitating?

My ex wife's boyfriend is there everyday and receives mail at her address. Our divorce stipulation states that if she remarries or cohabitates then alimony discontinues. She denies to my daughter that he is living there despite him being there every day and night and moving out of his apartment.

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Mar 5, 2017

Under current Utah law regarding alimony and cohabitation, you likely have to prove that she is cohabiting "in a marriage-like relationship." If it is a Utah case, you should consult with a Utah lawyer and discuss the additional particular facts of your case.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Do I have to always give my ex first pick to watch the kids? And can he record our conversations?
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Mar 5, 2017

Whether or not you have to give your ex first pick to watch the kids depends on the custody and parent-time orders in your case. You need to read that order and any statutes referenced by the order to determine this issue. A quick appointment with an attorney with those documents should answer... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: I am going to file for divorce. My husband didn't work at all this year does he get half of the tax return?
Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Mar 5, 2017

The legal answer is always, "It depends". Generally any income earned during the marriage is marital property, which would include any overpaid taxes that would result in a tax return refund. Consult with an attorney to discuss the particulars of your case.

2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for Utah on
Q: Divorcing after 23 years. Wife makes $4100 gross I make $7400 gross. What to expect for alimony?

2 children will be paying $1200 child support. Wife is keeping home.

Christopher J. Salcido
Christopher J. Salcido answered on Feb 16, 2017

The primary factors for alimony are as follows: length of marriage, your ability to pay, your spouse's need. Feel free to contact me to discuss details.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Utah on
Q: Does she have legal recourse if I don't pay?

My kids mom is attending school and asked my wife and I for help with childcare last year and we rearranged our work schedules at a cost to us, to accommodate her classes. This year she added some classes/ days and has again asked that we help. We agreed to help but asked that she pay $5/wk for... Read more »

Christopher J. Salcido
Christopher J. Salcido answered on Feb 1, 2017

The answer is likely yes but we would need to review the terms of your decree to be sure of what your responsibilities are here. You may want to take the issue to the judge since it sounds like your decree favors personal child care over surrogate and it seems absurd she would choose day care at... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Child Custody for Utah on
Q: Utah father's rights suspended didn't complete required classes. He wants a visit am I liable for anything if I let him?

Are there any legal ramifications if I let him see his son when the court has suspended his parental rights for not completing his required parenting classes? He will make my life difficult if I say no and claim he did the classes which he hasn't. But if there will be liability or trouble with... Read more »

Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson answered on Dec 10, 2016

It is a court order so if you go against it you could be found in contempt.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law, Juvenile Law and Adoption for Utah on
Q: I legally adopted a child & the ex has since reintroduced my daughter to her biological dad. Is this illegal?

I have (2) children with her, divorced in '14. The ex has refused to let me see my children and makes it a nightmare when I have called. So this was in Utah and I had since moved to Arizona. I legally adopted one and had one natural with her. She has since reintroduced my adopted daughter to... Read more »

Paul Waldron
Paul Waldron answered on Nov 2, 2016

This is illegal. Unless or until there is a court order prohibiting the mother from reintroducing your daughter to the biological father, the mother (your ex-wife) can continue to do so. Your legal option is to file a court action to request the judge to prohibit the contact, but you will have to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Animal / Dog Law, Contracts and Divorce for Utah on
Q: Is a breeder contract my ex-wife signed during our marriage valid if I was awarded the dog in the divorce?

Seller is trying to take the dog back from me stating the contract says if the breeder can not care for the dog the seller has the right to reclaim.

Brian K Jackson
Brian K Jackson answered on Oct 28, 2016

It depends. There are probably good arguments on both sides and what the language specifically says in the contract could determine the outcome.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.