Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Divorce Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: do i need to follow Washington law for divorce case even if i was married outside of the united states?

me and my ex got separated and she filed for a divorce case in WA state and getting spouse maintenance, we don't have marriage certificate here because we were married in Egypt, she is trying to delay the divorce here as much as she can , is it possible to divorce her at my home country and file... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Jul 6, 2016

If you live in Washington, Washington law governs the dissolution of your marriage, even if you were married in another jurisdiction. This type of jurisdictional arrangement is common in most all the U.S. states. You should consult a lawyer in the place in which you live, so if you live in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: How long after divorce does my ex have to initiate paperwork to transfer retirement funds from my name to hers?

Divorce was final several years ago and property settlement awards this account to her. I have reminded her via email several times that she needs to schedule appointment at bank for us to sign papers for this. Do funds eventually become mine if she takes no action?

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Jul 6, 2016

Retirement funds are divided by Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs). QDROs can be done at any time as long as the retirement plan rules allow for dividing the account(s) at any time. Most plans have strict rules about the timing of account division, and most will severely limit or even... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: I was divorced 6 years ago. I retired this month now my ex wife's lawyer wants me to sign a QDRO. Is this legal
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Jul 6, 2016

Yes, however, the retirement plan's rules will have a great deal of bearing on whether or not a post-retirement QDRO can affect your benefits. The QDRO should have been done at divorce, but later QDROs are often accepted by some plans.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Family Law for Washington on
Q: Can my husband lay claim to a child that is not his if we have been separated for over a year?

My 28 year old husband had an affair with a 16 year old 1 1/2 years ago! We've been separated since, and he has been in a relationship with her since! I started dating about 8 months ago, and am currently expecting a child with another man! He threatened that if I try to push him into divorce, he... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard answered on Oct 26, 2015

He can claim, but DNA testing will easily prove his claim to be false.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: Can I get divorced if my husband is in Mexico and can't come here and me and my kids just moved back to wa state ?

We have been living in Mexico for the last 3 years and just moved back to wa state due to domestic violence with my husband . My husband was deported and cannot enter the u.s. And will not sign the papers. Can I get divorced? Also we've been back for 2 months, will the court here accept my case?

Spencer Richard McMullen
Spencer Richard McMullen answered on Aug 2, 2014

The court will most likely accept your case if you meet the residency time limits for your state. As far as serving the other party in Mexico, treaties between the U.S. and individual countries or international agreements such as the “Hague Convention on Service Abroad” and the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce for Washington on
Q: How long is the waiting period after filing
Cheryl L Van Ackeren
Cheryl L Van Ackeren answered on May 17, 2014

After filing the petition for dissolution, Washington state requires you to wait 90 days.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.