Washington Identity Theft Questions & Answers

Q: Can I apply for green card if I have a misdemeanor record?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Identity Theft and Immigration Law for Washington on
Answered on Nov 20, 2017
Hector E. Quiroga's answer
In general, with shoplifting, if it was only once, it is unlikely to be an issue. We strong recommend consulting with an immigration attorney so you can discuss the details of your particular case.

Q: will I be able to sue the bank or the car place for allowing someone to purchase a car without checking if it was me?

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Consumer Law for Washington on
Answered on Aug 25, 2016
Marjorie Simmons' answer
What an aggravating experience you've had. In your position I would first put a freeze on my credit reports (https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0497-credit-freeze-faqs) and then speak with an attorney who focuses on consumer law. Many will offer a free initial consult, and some will take this type of case on a contingent fee basis, meaning they charge no fee unless they recover a judgment in your favor.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.