Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
West Virginia Real Estate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Arbitration / Mediation Law and Landlord - Tenant for West Virginia on
Q: I bought a home 10/2018 cash, personal money. I put my g/f's name on title/deed with me. Can I have her taken off?

She has/had $0 income nor input into home.

Thomas A. Grossman
Thomas A. Grossman
answered on May 24, 2019

Unfortunately putting your girlfriend's name on a deed is like giving her a half ownership interest in the property. I don't think you can get her off of the deed unless you buy her out. Hopefully you can work it out with her, but be sure that you have a written contract drawn up... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Small Claims for West Virginia on
Q: House seller intentionally did not disclose active water leak, what should I do after house purchase?

Hi, I live in West Virginia and recently purchased a house. However, after we moved in, we found that there is an active leak in the master bathroom that's very serious, the repair estimate is around $7000. The seller seems to be aware of this active leak but did not disclose this condition in... Read more »

Richard Sternberg
Richard Sternberg
answered on Jan 30, 2018

Get a lawyer in West Virginia where the home is located. In other states where I practice, a material misrepresentation to a consumer in a real estate advertisement can result in treble damages, punitive damages, attorneys fees, and costs. I practice in VA, MD, and DC, but I know I have someone in... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury and Real Estate Law for West Virginia on
Q: I can't get answers from a insurance company who customer destroyed my porch ,etc. 3 weeks ago should I get a lawyer?

They have already sent in two adjusters and all I keep getting them to tell me is they havn't received papers from them yet . not only did my 31 ft. porch collapse but it done something to my foundation under my living room

Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
answered on Feb 12, 2016

A strong letter from a lawyer might help.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for West Virginia on
Q: Quitclaim deed. Can it help me get a property that was shared with my ex husband off my credit history?

Property, per our divorce decree, was not meant to be kept by either party. Ex husband had 2 years to sell it but has not and it is now 6 years later. This property is hurting my debt to income ratio and hurting my ability to obtain a house, new car, etc.

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Sep 25, 2015

In the title to your question contains "Quitclaim deed". If you are trying to ask whether using a QCD to transfer your interest in the property to you ex-husband will affect your credit score, no. You owe on the mortgage note, whether or not you are on the title. That would not change.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for West Virginia on
Q: I was placed on the Deed 3 years after my parents got their mortgage. My Mother died. My father stopped making payments.

I was placed on the Deed 3 years after my parents got their mortgage. My Mother died. My father stopped making payments. The house is nearing courthouse sale. I was never placed on the mortgage and I don't think the bank was ever notified that I was placed on the Deed. How can the bank take... Read more »

Terrence H Thorgaard
Terrence H Thorgaard
answered on Sep 11, 2015

If your parents transferred a half interest in the property to you, it was done subject to the bank's interest. By the way, the transfer may have been prohibited by a "due on sale" clause in the mortgage. In any event, simply because your parents transferred an interest in the... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.