COVID-19 Domestic Violence View Questions by State

Your current state is Virginia

  • Alabama
  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Georgia
  • Hawaii
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Mississippi
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • North Carolina
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Rhode Island
  • South Carolina
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
  • Washington DC

US Territories

  • Puerto Rico

Show More States

Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
COVID-19 Domestic Violence Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Domestic Violence for New Jersey on
Q: I recently applied for my firearms license in NJ. I was denied due to my "violent and aggressive history."

I've been in a relationship for 6 years now and he had a nasty divorce/custody battle in the first three years. His ex-wife filed multiple false police reports against me thinking that it would sway the custody verdict but she ultimately lost custody. In one of the reports, she coached her... View More

Richard Diamond
Richard Diamond
answered on May 10, 2021

I would contact your local police chief and / or the county prosecutors office and ask for the background search material and the source[s] giving rise to the concerns voiced about you. The less confrontational you are with them, the more likely they will be to provide the information sought (... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Louisiana on
Q: Will,fiance have a chance of getting bonded out soon charges of domestic violence with partner and wrongful imprisonment

If I dont show up for court against him what happens?

Ellen Cronin Badeaux
Ellen Cronin Badeaux
answered on Jan 30, 2021

Gwen's law will not allow him out on bond. However, some parishes are bonding detainees out do to Covid. If he is let out and doesn't show up, a warrant will issue.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Civil Litigation and Domestic Violence for South Carolina on
Q: My mom owns her house and wants her boyfriend to move out because he has been drugging/stealing from her.

How do we go about this legally and without him hurting her? She's scared when she tells him to leave that he's going to get angry and try to hurt her. The last time she called the police on him, he told the police they were married and made it seem like she had mental issues, which she... View More

Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
Jonathan Edmond Bennett Lewis
answered on Jan 25, 2021


We are sorry to hear about these problems that your mother is having. No one should ever feel unsafe in their home.

The first thing that you should do is go down to your County Family Court, and speak to the Clerk of Court there. Tell them that you need an emergency...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: I have an open domestic violence case. My wife took the kids and left the state.... Does she have to show up in person?

I was thinking because of covid could they web ex her?

Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 4, 2021

It depends on the court. Many courts have changed to Webex for COVID reasons. The Court will inform you and her of the hearing procedures. You could also check the court webpage and you can find information there are hearing procedures.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Texas on
Q: Please explain me how is it possible , that judge make rulings against petitioner in Domestic Violence Case?

Judge made rulings (eviction) against petitioner in domestic violence case without any filed legal actions in court (cross- complaint) against petitioner . How often judge made rulings and charges against petitioner without filed legal actions(cases) in court?

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on Dec 5, 2020

In general, a judge might deny a petition that was somehow defective. For example, if the court lacks jurisdiction, or the petition did not state a cause of action, or that it didn't show that the petitioner was entitled to relief.

Evictions are paused in some jurisdictions because of...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Nevada on
Q: Ok kids resident state is nevada Temp custody inndomestic case was filed And no new custody order has been filed sense

And no new custody order has been filed sense so as I understand those temporary custody orders have rained in effectSo now I have allowed the kids to go to visitation for part of the summer and I let them stay for an extended due to the Covid and now a lawsuit is being filed against me by child... View More

Bonnie M Lonardo
Bonnie M Lonardo
answered on Dec 2, 2020

It is best to respond to the child support lawsuit with a request that child custody also be reevaluated. If child support is awarded, it will be based on how the child custody is arranged. Both the child custody and child support cases should be held in the state where the children have resided... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Child Support, Domestic Violence and Family Law for California on
Q: If an alimony claim was filed in in July 2020 also a restraining order for violence, then the client used his one delay

Due to lack of a lawyer, than the lawyer pushed the hearing back 3 months, from September to December, then the lawyer dropped the client due to lack of payments, the client gets a new lawyer 3 weeks before the alimony hearing, can the case be pushed back again

Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
answered on Nov 23, 2020

more info needed.

what state, county, court, judge?

but yes it is at the discretion of the judge...and with Covid, everything is up in the air.

hopefully, you have a lawyer who can fill the judge in on the past history.

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Domestic Violence for Nevada on
Q: I was granted temp custody in a tpo case in california. No other custody order was made and nevada became kids resident

I allowed extrnded visitation due to covid and to avoid stress on kids. Husband doesnt allow constant contact now and a child support lawsuit had been filed against me. What do i do? Do i file here in nevada or there in california?

Janice Jacovino
Janice Jacovino
answered on Nov 18, 2020

Where to file depends a few factors.

- If you already have an open case then file where you have the open case.

- If you had a prior case that decided custody then you will either need to file in that state or file to domesticate/register your prior order in the new state. Once...
View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Washington on
Q: My boyfriend got arrested for dv I’m wondering if it would be extremely beneficial to hire a lawyer or not?

Someone called the police on us and when they arrived @ his apartment I was packing my things to leave and didn’t want to speak to them at all but they kept pressing me for info and had kinda made up their minds up about what happened before they got there. We now have the mandatory protection... View More

Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl
answered on Aug 4, 2020

It is absolutely crucial that he is represented by an experienced criminal defense attorney and that same attorney can advise you if you want. However, there are issues that you should consider separately and I believe that you should have a consultation with an attorney on your own so that you... View More

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Domestic Violence for Minnesota on
Q: If you where ror and your conditions of release was 2 years probation. you miss your sentencing court what will happen

What will happen when you missed your sentencing court date and have failure to appear warrants but you where originally ror with conditions of release being 2 years probation. What will happen when you turn yourself in on the warrants and to what your conditions of release change for having the... View More

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Aug 3, 2020

You don't provide nearly enough information to intelligently answer what you might be facing when you are sentenced. There is no information here about what the charge was or what your criminal history is relative to your potential sentence. Courts have certainly been processing in custody... View More

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, DUI / DWI and Domestic Violence for Minnesota on
Q: What would be the out come when my boyfriend goes and turns his self in for 3 warrants that are for failure to appear

They are for a DUI and a domestic and for violating a danco. He had missed his sentencing court date on 1/29/20 and the domestic and the violation would have been dropped that day as I had to talk to people because the judge was the one who was pressing the charges for the domestic as I did not... View More

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Aug 3, 2020

It's been six months since he missed court. The likelihood that the warrants would be dismissed under the circumstances without him at least having to turn himself in is non-existent. He would need to be held for an appearance before a judge so that conditions of release could be set. He... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Domestic Violence and Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: What are my options at virtual mediation? Child wants to stay with me and it is much safer here anyway.

High-conflict divorce and custody dispute, with ex having a lifelong history of mental illness diagnoses and treatments. Divorce and custody arrangement finalized in a previous state of residence where she still resides. Child is currently with me in MA and has been since the start of the pandemic.... View More

Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
answered on Jul 16, 2020

Because the child has not been living in Massachusetts for at least 6 months, our Probate Courts do not yet have jurisdiction over custody and visitation as the former state of residence still is the home state until then. However, if there is a safety concern about the child going to the other... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for California on
Q: How to respond to (petioners) RFO orders Ex- Parte Notice late notice via email sent by his attorney to me (respondent).

this is a family custody visitation/ sole and physical custody battle on going for 3 years. Minors counsel also involved.

Chris M. Bradford
Chris M. Bradford
answered on Jul 1, 2020

The short answer is: SHOW UP IN COURT at the time and place given to you in the notice. If the time and place are set for tomorrow, go to that courtroom tomorrow at the time given in the notice. There is nothing else you need to do to respond. When you get to the hearing the attorney on the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Texas on
Q: Would they have informed me if I violated the deferred prosecution terms when I sent in all of my paperwork?

Worried about my situation. In the "notes" section of my deferred prosecution agreement, it states that I "MUST obtain any evaluation within 2 months of the start of the DPA." I got it exactly a week after, and only a few days ago did I even notice this note. I'm almost... View More

Kiele Linroth Pace
Kiele Linroth Pace
answered on May 20, 2020

You can ask for confirmation of completion but they are often reluctant to do anything other than acknowledging receipt of your documentation. That said, although failing to get the assessment within the first 60 days is technically a violation, I have never seen them re-file on someone who... View More

3 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence for New Jersey on
Q: How do I know if I’ve been charged with a crime during Covid

My boyfriend and I had an incident last week where the police were called. I received a victim notification form but did not ask for a restraining order, we do not want anything to come from this incident. He did not receive any paperwork himself was not detained or arrested, does this mean he was... View More

H. Scott Aalsberg
H. Scott Aalsberg
answered on May 5, 2020

Generally most people are charged at the scene. However more and more many people are receiving a criminal complaint by mail and this can take 1 to 5 years before the statute of limitations would run. If you get a complaint in the mail immediately hire a good criminal lawyer

View More Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Minnesota on
Q: I am in an abusive marriage and have a warrant, how can I get around. Going to jail? I cannot leave my home!

My warrant is out of Anoka Co. MN for failure to turn myself in for failing to complete a dwi MADD IMPACT CLASS. My husband made it so I had no way to get to the classes on purpose, I've paid for the classes but was unable to go. I cannot go to jail, he has threatened to sell all my belongings... View More

Jonathan Matthew Holson
Jonathan Matthew Holson
answered on Apr 22, 2020

You obviously have a couple of issues going on here.

One, is your warrant. I would suggest getting in touch with the Anoka County Public Defender. You are unemployed so you would obviously qualify for a PD. Explain the issue that you are dealing with and an attorney in the office may be...
View More

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama on
Q: Can I get a restraining order?

During the COVID 19 outbreak my older sister and I have kept our parents isolated in their home, taking them things as they need and interacting with them from a distance. I called my mom Friday to see what she was doing, and my younger sister, who has been going to work everyday, blew our... View More

Mr. James Parrish Coleman
Mr. James Parrish Coleman
answered on Mar 31, 2020

Interesting question and very timely. You are asking for a judgment on a practice matter. A restraining order (which I believe would most appropriately come in the form of an Elder Protection From Abuse Order (EPFA) is very unlikely to be issued on your facts. Are your parents mentally competent?... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.