Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Small Claims legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Hawaii Small Claims Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law, Small Claims and Civil Litigation for Hawaii on
Q: I was apart of this class action lawsuit and did everything asked yet never received any settlement or even a response

I'm wondering what I should do because I honestly feel let down once again basically by the DOE who really didn't give me the education I deserved or could have gotten and now the state of Hawaii although technically we won, it feels like I'm yet again getting a high school... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Jan 18, 2024

In a situation where you were part of a class action lawsuit and have not received any settlement or response, your first step should be to contact the law firm that represented the class in the lawsuit. Ensure that they have your current contact information and inquire about the status of the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: Under Hawaii law 607-14.5 Attorney fees and costs in civil actions, doesn't it involves domestic violence or injury?

In a TRO case the judge prior to the hearing began, stated that if I lost, than I would have to pay for the opposing attorney's fees. In our case there were no domestic violence and or personal injury, or hardship by lost of work, within the parties involved. There were no evidence shown... View More

Mark Simonds
Mark Simonds
answered on Feb 12, 2022

Actually, the prevailing party in a TRO hearing may file a non-hearing motion for attorney’s fees and costs. That means there is no hearing, but you may file a written response if you object to paying the other side’s legal bill. The judge probably warned the parties of this in her or his... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: On the 6th of January, I was involved in a minor collision where my car had collided with another. No one was harmed and

Both cars just had a minor bump and scratch. Basically, the women was very angry and asked for my insurance, I knew I wasn’t Insured so asked if we could go out of pocket. She then called the police, I called Geico (an insurance company) and got insured as a non owner on vehicles within the time... View More

Matthew A Sylva
Matthew A Sylva
answered on Feb 10, 2022

You should consider consulting an attorney for actual legal advice based on what's in your question above. Your situation involves possible insurance fraud (if you filed a claim with Geico for the accident versus just showing the police that you had current insurance by the time they arrived).... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: How do I get my money back on a false misrepresentation of a claim on a product I bought?

I purchased a device that claimed FDA approval and it is not. I based the purchase on being told it was FDA approved.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on Jan 23, 2022

A Hawaii attorney could advise best, but your question remains open for five weeks. Hawaii consumer laws aside, which only a local attorney could advise about, the most practical approach could be to request refund through the company's customer service department. If there's more to the... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Criminal Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: Hit a pedestrian with car. Police say it’s her fault. My car is wrecked. Can I take legal action for my car?

This happened in Hawaii. A pedestrian was under the influence of drugs and walking in the middle of the highway at night. I hit her with my car. The police report states that I am not at fault. She was injured and taken to the hospital. My insurance will pay her medical, because that’s what’s... View More

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Dec 26, 2017

You can only go after her for the value of the vehicle. Presumably that was the collision that paid off the loan. If she had insurance that's all you can go after her for. Realistically, if she was on drugs in the middle of the road, do you think she will have money to pay for any judgment you get?

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets, Car Accidents, Military Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: Someone is accusing me and my fiancé of crashing into their car. We weren't there and they have no actual proof.

They are posting it everywhere on Facebook and getting people to attack us. The person who crashed into their parked car left a note and the number isn't my fiancé but somehow brought them to his Facebook account. What should we do?

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
answered on Feb 2, 2017

Notify your insuance to be on the safe side. Have an attorney draft a cease and desist letter. They can also give you a couple of short sentences you can respond to. If they aren't getting a rise out of you, sooner or later they will find something else.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.