Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Hawaii Questions & Answers
0 Answers | Asked in Constitutional Law, International Law and Military Law for Hawaii on
Q: Does the political question doctrine apply in Article II courts outside of US territory?

Please look at the ongoing Hawaiian Kingdom v. Biden case for more context.

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts and Real Estate Law for Hawaii on
Q: How can I break the lease? The unit has plumbing issues. The plumbers have entered the unit 12X in less than 6months

How do I break my lease? I moved into the unit August 1st 2021. The unit was not move-in ready and the plumbing issues are worsening. The landlord had the plumbers work on the toilets and fix other plumbing issues after I moved in. There were 8 visits from plumbers and painters August and... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: On the 6th of January, I was involved in a minor collision where my car had collided with another. No one was harmed and

Both cars just had a minor bump and scratch. Basically, the women was very angry and asked for my insurance, I knew I wasn’t Insured so asked if we could go out of pocket. She then called the police, I called Geico (an insurance company) and got insured as a non owner on vehicles within the time... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law for Hawaii on
Q: Employer didn’t pay my Holiday pay because she said I lost benefit when I missed work due to having covid.

I was exposed to covid from work 12/28/21 and tested positive 01/05/2021. Our admin supposed to pay me 4hrs holiday pay for New years eve and 8hrs New Years day.

Our office re- opened from holiday 01/04/2022 but I was not able to work that day because I was already having symptoms and... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: We are being forced to pay for portion of electricity while on vacation for a full month. Is that legal?

The home is divided into 3 units and the lease only says this:

"Special Terms:

9. HELCO bill will be divided by amount of people per living space. Owner will make necessary adjustments when other tenants have visitors

for extended stays."

We were gone for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: R we as tenants responsible for the cost of repairs/replacement of appliances provided to us, for normal wear and tear?

Throughout our 5 years as tenants, our landlord has replaced the washer, stove, disposal, toilet, and installed ceiling fans in 3 bedrooms. She said we're responsible for the cost of repairs/replacement to those provided appliances if they break. Are we responsible for this if we didn't... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: Is it safe to share my father's SSN with his brother? My uncle wants it on file, and my father has been gone since 2005.

My mother received a call from my aunt asking for my father's SSN. When my mother questioned her, she said my uncle wanted to apply for a copy of my father's death certificate so that he could have it on file. No other explanation. My father has been gone for 17 years. Why would someone... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Personal Injury for Hawaii on
Q: HI Rev Stat § 431:10C-301.5 (2013)

I was involved in a not-at-fault rear-end accident. Other party has already admitted 100% liability and is paying for damage to my vehicle and bodily injury. My auto insurance at the time of the accident had lapsed. Shouldn't the other party's insurance company also pay 100% of my lost... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: my ex landlord sent money order to wrong person for deposit payment. Should I sign for the letter?

Old landlord is refusing to return deposit or supplying any info on damages. It is past the deadline of Dec 28th. She said she sent a certified letter on the 28th but wont supply a tracking number and she made the money order in my husbands name which she knows he is out of state and cannot cash... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: tenant not completely moved out on expiration of lease. How do I handle a Holdover tenant status

Lease ended Dec 31 2021. She says she needs a few more days.

0 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Civil Litigation and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: I was recently terminated from a property caretaker position who lives onsite. I want to continue living on site. Help

My eviction date was the 31st of December but due to unforeseen circumstances I’m still here. It’s a huge inconvenience when you get let go and u also lose ur home in the proccess. I will be homeless on the street if they’re successful with reclaiming this unit. Please someone help

0 Answers | Asked in Contracts, Civil Rights and Landlord - Tenant for Hawaii on
Q: What kind of lawyer deals w renter-landlord issues???

Family of 5,lived in same rental since 2005. Landlord recently increased our rent(+300)! Bf doing so, he called my husband, said his sons felt we weren’t being charged enough over the yrs. Though we’ve eaten every cost like the homeowner! Appliances/maintenance…u name it. My husband won’t... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Uncategorized for Hawaii on
Q: can i record request lanlords participating in section 8 program to housing authority

can it be denied due to privacy act

0 Answers | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for Hawaii on
Q: Left turn yield to right turn?

Who yields? You are at a green light preparing to turn left. Directly opposite from you there is a single car turning right. Do you yield (because you are crossing their lane) or do they? In California we yield? But when we visited Australia the equivalent of a right turn yielded…(allowing for... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Family Law for Hawaii on
Q: What can be done in a case where an abusive ex boyfriend violates a 2 year TRO put in place by a family court judge .

The abusive ex boyfriend continues to break in and enter my home and beats me, kicks me, bites me and chokes me and in defending myself I accidentally cut him with kitchen knife and he says he will call police and tell them that I went to his house and deliberately stabbed and cut him then I will... Read more »

0 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Hawaii on
Q: If I hurt an abusive ex boyfriend in my attempt to defend myself because he violates TRO and enters my home to abuse me

I have a 2 year TRO in place and my ex boyfriend continues to break in my home and beat me, choke me, kick me, bite me and simply terrorize me. In defending myself I cut him with kitchen knife and he leaves and calls police lying that I went to his residence and deliberately stabbed him.

0 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law and Small Claims for Hawaii on
Q: How do I get my money back on a false misrepresentation of a claim on a product I bought?

I purchased a device that claimed FDA approval and it is not. I based the purchase on being told it was FDA approved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.