Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Identity Theft legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Massachusetts Identity Theft Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Immigration Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I am a DACA recipient. I recently was informed of identy theft of $9999 in the dark web. Am i allowed to apply for uvisa
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 4, 2024

I understand this is a stressful and concerning situation. As a DACA recipient who has been the victim of identity theft, here are a few important points to keep in mind regarding your legal options:

- U visas are available to victims of certain crimes who have suffered substantial mental...
View More

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Elder Law, Identity Theft and Military Law for Massachusetts on
Q: neighbor stole $8000 from my 80 yr old mom's bank card, caught on bank ATM camera, admitted it and wasn't arrested.

Intentional, waited till I left for a week to use my mom's card. Intent was there considering he was smart enough to only take out the maximum money allowed daily from ATMs, fun times at Mohegan Sun, all totally caught and verified by police. They brought him in for questioning and told me... View More

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Nov 27, 2023

In the situation where your 80-year-old mother's bank card was stolen and used to withdraw money, it's understandably frustrating and confusing when the perpetrator admits to the crime but isn't arrested. The decision to arrest or not can depend on various factors, including local... View More

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Car Accidents, Consumer Law, Civil Litigation and Identity Theft for Massachusetts on
Q: Massachusetts Boston my wife has a permit and keeps registering and insuraning cars in my name without my consent

Has stolen my identity and opened credit card and I filed a identity theft claim

William J. Amann
William J. Amann pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on May 27, 2023

It sounds like what she's doing is illegal but that's merely speculative based upon your brief statement. I recommend you contact the Division of Motor Vehicles.

1 Answer | Asked in Traffic Tickets and Identity Theft for Massachusetts on
Q: What can i do? I received a late citation letter for something i have no idea about.

The citation has no info other then the date it happened and the date it was defaulted on. The thing is I've never been pulled over or sent anything in the mail. so i suspect someone used my name in a traffic stop. But since the citation is defaulted i cant request a hearing. I have no idea... View More

Lissa McKinney
Lissa McKinney
answered on Jun 10, 2022

The first thing you should do is go online to the MA RMV and get a copy of your driving record. It should list the Court and default and a citation number. When You call the Court, ask for a copy of the ticket, and explain you have...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Health Care Law and Identity Theft for Massachusetts on
Q: I have been a victim of medical identity theft and need help to figure out what steps to take to correct this.

My health was used multiple times for ambulance rides, hospital and doctors visits. Now, I need help to rectify the damage done to my credit and medical records

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
answered on May 16, 2019

Contact your health insurance carrier without delay to notify them of the security breach. If you receive bills for co-payments or other uncovered charges, contact the entities doing the billing (hospitals, physicians, ambulance services, etc.) and coordinate with your insurance carrier to... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Identity Theft for Massachusetts on


Ali Shahrestani,
Ali Shahrestani,
answered on Jan 24, 2019

Nobody can predict what the police will do. If she stole your property, you can report this theft to the police. You would be wise to consider reporting this to your bank to protect your assets. More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Identity Theft and Social Security for Massachusetts on
Q: I'm looking for a pro bono federal prosecutor in Boston, MA.

This is a large case involving a family member stealing my inherited social security funds as a result of my father's death. ID theft & personal property by stolen friends, family state l’ve been disabled since 9. I am now 41. I’ve been Misdiagnosed since 9 mounts ago! Now friends... View More

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
answered on Jun 15, 2018

Pro bono prosecutor?? you cannpt hire a prosecutor. Prosecutors work for the government.

Call the Department of HHS. They have investigators

1 Answer | Asked in Identity Theft and Consumer Law for Massachusetts on
Q: How can I get the bill out of my name without filing a police report

My mother placed a utility bill in my name without my knowledge. The bill is over four grand. I contacted the company as soon as I found out but they said I have to file a police report. I do not want my mother to go to jail and I can not let her find out I am trying to take the bill out of my name... View More

David Humphreys
David Humphreys
answered on Oct 2, 2017

Go to the FTC website, and download an ID Theft Affidavit. Present that to the utility company. If they harass you after you fill out the affidavit and provide it to them, get a solid consumer protection law firm to help you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.